Author Topic: 5 Brick Baking  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Tannerwooden

5 Brick Baking
« on: March 31, 2013, 03:39:18 PM »
Here's a pic of one of last night's pies.  Baked a bunch for a going away party for my sister. When I'm baking a lot of pies, I put 5 bricks on the bottom rack of the oven. Extends preheat time, but seems to shorten recovery time.

Anyone else do this?

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Re: 5 Brick Baking
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 06:34:38 PM »
Looks good.  How long were preheat and bake times?
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Tannerwooden

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 10:37:54 AM »
I typically bake at around 750. With the 5 stones in the oven, it take around 2 hours and 10 minutes to get there.  Without, it's about 1 hour and 10 minutes.

With the five stones, I can do a pizza every ten minutes or so. I'm probably baking at lower temps with each pizza, but there is not the the typical, big drop like without the stones. First pie 750, second 730, third 720 and so on.

At 750, they take a little over 3 minutes. I used to bake at 650 which takes a little over 4.

I posted mainly because I want to figure out how to get more pies through the oven faster.  Any ideas?

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 08:59:04 PM »
What's your dough recipe and what type of flour do you use?

Offline Tannerwooden

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 11:41:51 PM »
I modify Reinhardt's pizza recipe from "The Breadbaker's Apprentice," a bit. Formula below. I pre-chill the ingredients to near freezing, then mix up the dough. I skip bulk rising, immediately separating the dough into dough balls and put in the fridge in individual containers. If the house is going to be around 70 degrees all day, I take the dough balls out first thing in the morning. If it's hotter, I take them out later. They have a very, very slow rise and have a very long working time in the evening.

I like this because I work during the day and this lets me have pizza any day of the week instead of just on the weekends or when I can be around to tend to my dough. It doesn't matter much if I make it home at 5, 6, or even 7, the balls will still be usable. I also really, really like the flavor of this crust recipe. I've tried a few others from this forum. Each one I've tried has been great, and this one is right up there IMHO.

Gold Medal Better for Bread Flour 100%
Salt                                           2.2%
Instant Yeast                             .54%
Water                                        69.1%

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 12:01:24 AM »
I typically bake at around 750. With the 5 stones in the oven, it take around 2 hours and 10 minutes to get there.  Without, it's about 1 hour and 10 minutes.

With the five stones, I can do a pizza every ten minutes or so. I'm probably baking at lower temps with each pizza, but there is not the the typical, big drop like without the stones. First pie 750, second 730, third 720 and so on.

At 750, they take a little over 3 minutes. I used to bake at 650 which takes a little over 4.

I posted mainly because I want to figure out how to get more pies through the oven faster.  Any ideas?
Get you a "garage" self-cleaning oven, cut the lock and free your mind brother.    :)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 12:04:20 AM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Tannerwooden

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 08:44:43 PM »
Get you a "garage" self-cleaning oven, cut the lock and free your mind brother.    :)

I skipped breaking the oven and went straight to hacking it. I got the hack from someone else on this website.  I have a "Turbo Switch" which disables the oven probe so the oven will just keep going until I turn it off. I like this because I can turn it off as soon as I am done baking instead of waiting for the cleaning cycle to finish.

Though, I dream of a WFO....

Offline tdub154420

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 12:57:14 AM »
"Turbo Switch"   :-\ ??

Uhhhhh.  I need one.  I definitely need one.  What is it and how to I obtain it and will I run the risk of burning my house down?
- Trevor

Offline Tannerwooden

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 03:50:20 PM »
"Turbo Switch"   :-\ ??

Uhhhhh.  I need one.  I definitely need one.  What is it and how to I obtain it and will I run the risk of burning my house down?

Yes, you probably will.  Please don't do unless you meet the qualifications below:

A) You are insane.
B) You REALLY know EXACTLY what you are doing.
C) You read through every last post and reply below.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8730.0.html
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1428.msg131014.html#msg131014
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12774.msg247909.html#msg247909

pizzapan