Author Topic: Little Caesars does Detroit stlye  (Read 1830 times)

Offline Jet_deck

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline derricktung

Re: Little Caesars does Detroit stlye
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 12:26:35 PM »
"Nobody's ever called it Detroit style pizza," he said. "I think it's enticing. If it catches enough sales early, they'll do well."

Seriously?  Does Jet's not call is Detroit style?  Or Buddy's? 

It will be interesting to see how this compares to some of the places already pushing a Detroit style pizza... Though we all know this can't compare with Norma's.  ;)

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 07:12:00 PM »
Here they just call it pizza, first time I heard the term Detroit Style Pizza was on Slices regional style list.  In Metro Detroit all other pizza is generally referred to as thin pizza. 
-Jeff

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 10:43:14 PM »
.....  In Metro Detroit all other pizza is generally referred to as thin pizza.

So, in metro Detroit you have the pan style which is "normal" and "everything" else is thin?

Wanna take a trip to Houston?

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 04:32:54 PM »
I purchased one of these today for lunch.  I asked, and the lady said they got all new square pans to bake them in, so Im thinking.... Holy crap i wonder if they got blue steel pans?  Nope, looked like the normal color silverish baking sheets that you find at any store.

The sides of the square pizza lacked 90% of any signs of cheesebrownitization/  or crispyness. After the first bite, I remembered what LC pizza was like.  The cheese was barely melted on top.  I could say that the pizza had a heavy gum line, but that might make you thing that the gum line stopped some where, it didn't.  I got a fork and dragged all the toppings over to the side, and cut a small sliver of what was most well done and ate it that way.  The pizza is actually 2 squares that are shoved together to make it look like one big square.  You would have a better chance buying an ice cube in hell, than to enjoy this 'Detroit', IMO.

Offline derricktung

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 10:42:12 AM »
Yikes... sounds terrible.  My wife and I were planning to try it, but with that review, we may just cross this off our list... thanks for being the sacrificial lamb!

Offline chaspie

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 04:50:02 PM »
The sides of the square pizza lacked 90% of any signs of cheesebrownitization/  or crispyness. After the first bite, I remembered what LC pizza was like.  The cheese was barely melted on top.  I could say that the pizza had a heavy gum line, but that might make you thing that the gum line stopped some where, it didn't.  I got a fork and dragged all the toppings over to the side, and cut a small sliver of what was most well done and ate it that way.  The pizza is actually 2 squares that are shoved together to make it look like one big square.  You would have a better chance buying an ice cube in hell, than to enjoy this 'Detroit', IMO.

I don't often engage in evaluating a new fast-food restaurant product from a major chain because I don't usually like that kind of food.  But when I have done so, I've made a point to purchase the item several times over the course of a week or so from at least three different stores.  I buy during a moderately busy time of day so I get a fresh product that was neither rushed nor neglected.  With a new product, some store operators could be still be on a learning curve, or they may have some staff that are not fully up to speed, or they may need to tweak their equipment or process. 

I hope you gave the restaurant manager some useful feedback.

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 10:21:51 PM »
I don't often engage in evaluating a new fast-food restaurant product from a major chain because I don't usually like that kind of food....    I buy during a moderately busy time of day so I get a fresh product that was neither rushed nor neglected....  or they may need to tweak their equipment or process.... 

I didn't like that kind of food either.

It was just after the lunch rush, I am not responsible for their rush or neglect.  I pay their wages, they are responsible for making my tummy happy.

Yes, the equipment and the process need to be tweaked.

So what is your take on the new LC deep, deep dish/ Detroit style?

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 11:13:34 PM »
The only supposed advantage cheap ass fast food is supposed to have is consistency.  If you are willing to give it three or 4 visits, you are trying too hard to like it.

Offline chaspie

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 12:45:51 AM »
So what is your take on the new LC deep, deep dish/ Detroit style?

I haven't tried it.  I don't plan to, either.  I haven't eaten anything from LC for at least a decade.  I don't eat commercial fast food more than a couple of times a year.

The only supposed advantage cheap ass fast food is supposed to have is consistency.  If you are willing to give it three or 4 visits, you are trying too hard to like it.

Yes, it's supposed to be consistent, but it isn't.  Even though the chains do everthing in their power to make sure that the food is exactly the same from one store to the next, they can't be entirely successful.  There are humans involved in the preparation.

Online IndyRob

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 07:26:04 PM »
I bought one today and my impression was generally positive.  The cheese was out to the edge and was browned and crispy on the exterior perimeter.  It may well become my favorite of the large chain pizzas.  I like it better than Jet's although it's smaller (but less expensive as well). 

It does appear that they're responding to Jet's based on the general footprint.  I find this ironic since they seem to be copying the Jet's '8 corner pizza' (two external sides per slice) after having pioneered the 4 corner slice (Baby Pan Pan - four external sides per slice).  I have a couple of these pans which consist of a ~ 9" square black steel pan with a cross shaped insert about 1 1/2" thick for four slices.  I was surprised to see that the new pans, rather than using two pans, actually was a single pan with two compartments.  My best guess is that this prevents two pans of different levels of proofing from being put in the same box.

Comparing the old LC pan pizza with the new, I'd say that the dough is a touch lighter and the outer crust has a bit less of the Pizza Hut style fried texture.  The oil used in the pan may have a bit of salt in it which I found to be interesting and not unpleasant.  The difference in the crust might be a result of the new PSTK looking pans rather than the old black ones.

IMHO, consistency has been one thing that Little Caesar's has struggled with.  Especially in the stores they used to put in KMarts.  Today, after putting in my order I was informed that it would take about six minutes.  Due to an incoming call, I think it may have taken longer than that.  But six minutes is not long for a thick crust pizza.  Minor variations could well result in a gummy crust or underdone cheese.  But mine was fine.

Regarding Detroit style pizza, I grew up in Detroit during the 60's, 70's and early 80's and never knew there was a Detroit style pizza.  Only round and square.  The round we would call American Style here.  The square pizza seemed to have infinite varieties beyond the shared characteristics of being rectangular and thick. 

I never knew that that wasn't normal until I started making thick crust pizza elsewhere in the Midwest and people didn't seem to get it ("it's awfully thick, isn't it?")

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 04:05:29 PM »
Pics posted on the other page about LC DS pies: I specifically asked the "dude" at the "reg" to cook it well-done:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,24286.msg247646.html#msg247646

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline Detroit

• I like most pizzas!
Re: Little Caesars does detroit style
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 08:52:07 PM »
Little Caesar's uses mozzarella and Muenster cheese in their Detroit-style pizzas. Does anybody think they know the proportions of each?

The closer of two nearby independent Spartan groceries here in (Southwest) Detroit, two blocks from here, sells bricks of various cheese--mozzarella, Muenster, and occasionally a few others (usually Muenster)--usually all the time. The past week, 6 1/2 pound Muenster blocks were on sale for $1.99 per pound, so I bought one. Previously, I picked up a brick of mozzarella, also at $1.99 a pound. So, I am set cheesewise.

A shipment of twelve rolled-steel pans from Bucket Outlet arrived this afternoon--four 10 by 14s and eight 8 by 10s. I'm a bit too preoccupied with other matters right now, but my next pizza-making project will involve producing and freezing a dozen or so pizzas at one time--in order to save time. If others have experimented with freezing the raw, half-baked, or fully baked Detroit pizzas, perhaps they might share their results.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 09:40:13 PM by Pete-zza »

pizzapan