Author Topic: bakers percentage question  (Read 347 times)

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
bakers percentage question
« on: October 19, 2013, 10:42:48 AM »
My question isn't specific to pizza but rather baking in general, although it does apply. Regarding baker's percentage when using starter/poolish/sourdough/etc. -

Do you add the flour used and the flour within a starter to determine how much % of salt a recipe calls for? In other words, if I use 332G flour and 33G of starter and a recipe calls for 1.8% salt, does that amount include the flour that's in my starter as well? Basing it off of just my initial 332G of flour 1.8% salt would be 5.976G,  but if you factor in the 16.5G of flour in the starter then it would be 6.273G. Which would be the correct amount for the recipe??
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Offline TXCraig1

Re: bakers percentage question
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 11:38:59 AM »
Technically, you should include the starter flour (and water in your final formula). As a practical matter, it's not always necessary. I almost never use more than maybe 1.7% starter, so the difference is probably within the measurement error. In your example, you're talking about 1.7% (actual) vs 1.8% (desired) if you use the smaller quantity of salt. If you think you could taste a difference, you should include the flour. Same for the water if you think you would notice a difference in the hydration if you didn't include it.

The preferment Lehman calculator will handle the math for you if you don't want to mess with it: http://www.pizzamaking.com/preferment_calculator.html
Pizza is not bread.

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
Re: bakers percentage question
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 11:49:10 AM »
Thanks Craig. I like to use 10% starter (based off the 100% flour weight) and after reformulating my recipes they weren't that far off, maybe by half a gram at most. I don't think it would be noticeable but I'd rather understand the fundamentals before giving myself any leeway :)
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.