Author Topic: What the heck???  (Read 2194 times)

Offline Hypersprint

• I Love Pizza!
What the heck???
« on: April 01, 2013, 08:20:12 PM »
Thanks for moving my post to somewhere YOU felt was apparently more appropriate without letting me know.  I was thinking I did something wrong until about a half our after I posted I found it in a thread that I had never been in.  I guess it is OK to pop into this thread and say "Hey Guys" or ask about the steel you want to use in your oven (both of which have more "appropriate" threads to be in).  But new guys not aloud to ask questions?

Is there someone or some place I need to run my questions by in the future to know what thread they will end up in?

Thanks
Rob

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: What the heck???
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 08:38:39 PM »
Thanks for moving my post to somewhere YOU felt was apparently more appropriate without letting me know.  I was thinking I did something wrong until about a half our after I posted I found it in a thread that I had never been in.
Rob,

It was I, acting in my role as Moderator, who moved your post to what I believed to be the more appropriate home for your post, at least for the time being. Years ago, when we had only a few hundred members and maybe 20 posts a day, I would routinely send PMs to members whose posts I moved to let them know what I did. Now, several years later, we have over 20,000 members and an average of 178 posts a day (or about 65,000 posts a year), all of which I look at and make decisions on the spot as to where the posts best belong in the forum's indexing system. I no longer have the luxury of sending PMs to members whose posts I move. I am one of only two Moderators on the forum whose job is to be sure that all of the posts are in the best places. However, I am always receptive to feedback from members who think they know better than I where their posts best belong in our system.

Peter

Offline Hypersprint

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 09:14:47 PM »
Thanks for letting me know, after spending a half hour trying to figure out what I did wrong I was about to post again when I happened to see where my thread ended up by chance.   Out of 178 posts how many were starting a new thread, and out of those how many did you move?  Thanks for all you do but taking 20 seconds to drop me a pm would have saved me a half hour of wondering and searching.  It would also be nice if you were using better forum software, there is some really nice forums out there that have a lot of power for the users to track what is important to them.

If you felt my thread needed to be moved you must have read it, since you did not respond to it I guess you could not help me with my question on what are good ways to store flour and  how long before flour goes bad?

Offline trosenberg

• Burning Desire for Pizza
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 09:38:19 PM »
As a Village Trustee I sometimes wonder if there is a more thankless role in the world.  I now know there is one... it is called Moderator.
Trosenberg

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 09:52:23 PM »
Thanks for letting me know, after spending a half hour trying to figure out what I did wrong I was about to post again when I happened to see where my thread ended up by chance.   Out of 178 posts how many were starting a new thread, and out of those how many did you move?  Thanks for all you do but taking 20 seconds to drop me a pm would have saved me a half hour of wondering and searching.  It would also be nice if you were using better forum software, there is some really nice forums out there that have a lot of power for the users to track what is important to them.

If you felt my thread needed to be moved you must have read it, since you did not respond to it I guess you could not help me with my question on what are good ways to store flour and  how long before flour goes bad?

Does better forum software also make it easier to search for the answer to basic and common questions?  See it goes both ways, a 20 second search would have also saved you the half hour. 
-Jeff

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 09:58:24 PM »
there is some really nice forums out there that have a lot of power for the users to track what is important to them.

Hyper,

Then I guess you are familiar with the feature "show posts" where you click on your profile and can then see where all your posts are at?

ps. Peter always helps out as best he can...after reading and moving your thread(which btw is a very common question resolved by simply using the search function ;)) I can guarantee you that Peter would have gotten back to you when time allowed him if no one else responded within a reasonable time.

edit:sorry bout the simultaneous post Jeff
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 10:03:05 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 10:05:06 PM »

Rob, no one, Peter included, gets paid for what they do here and yet, as you have seen, if you ask a question you generally get at least a couple answers - sometime a lot more - sometimes more than you might like. Peter reads every post. Certainly you don't think he has time to also answer every question. You get help here because there are people willing to spend their time to share their knowledge solely out of the goodness of their heart - nobody owes you an answer.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 10:10:41 PM »
Subscribe to your original posts, and then you will be notified when anything changes.  This is a free board, and is moderated for the benefit of the group, not the individual. Did you get the answer you were looking for?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 10:32:09 PM »

Bob thinks you have a nugatory attitude...dude.   ???

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 10:46:06 PM »
nugatory attitude...

Bob, what the heck is that?, not the attitude part, I know what that is.
Ah , pilgrim ...... Wash on,  wash off.........

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 10:56:20 PM »
Where's that reset/do over button.......maybe backtrack and re-introduce onesself???? :-[
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 11:06:24 PM »
Bob, what the heck is that?, not the attitude part, I know what that is.
Ah , pilgrim ...... Wash on,  wash off.........

Mark
Not sure what you are asking me Mark....my words are common dictionary stuff.
Wash on..wash off...that is not common to me.

Edit: To be fair...I don't watch mainstream TV or movies so sometimes I can appear "out of touch" to some folks.   :-D
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 11:10:13 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline Tannerwooden

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 11:20:25 PM »
To be fair...I don't watch mainstream TV or movies so sometimes I can appear "out of touch" to some folks.   :-D

I'm gonna assume this means you watch some weird British show, like "Doc Martin." Yep, from now on whenever you post, I'm gonna picture you taking a moment from your public broadcasting marathon of "Doc Martin."   ;D   ;D   ;D

Oh, right, there was an original purpose of this post.  It seems that it was for Hypersprint to whine and complain about the fact that he didn't know how this forum works.  I'm really glad to see all you guys come alongside Peter.  You are doing a bang up job, Peter.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 11:49:56 PM »
I'm gonna assume this means you watch some weird British show, like "Doc Martin." Yep, from now on whenever you post, I'm gonna picture you taking a moment from your public broadcasting marathon of "Doc Martin."   ;D   ;D   ;D

Oh, right, there was an original purpose of this post.  It seems that it was for Hypersprint to whine and complain about the fact that he didn't know how this forum works.  I'm really glad to see all you guys come alongside Peter.  You are doing a bang up job, Peter.
Doc Martin  ???  I looked that up and he sounds interesting....thank you for that Mr. Tannerwooden.   8)

I will have to check that comedy show out next time I get angry with Bob Ross. I really enjoy a good comical broadcast sometimes....and I think most people enjoy that also, and I'll bet you do too, right?  :)

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 11:58:19 PM »
Not sure what you are asking me Mark....my words are common dictionary stuff.

D

Ah, now it's clear.

Definition of NUGATORY

: of little or no consequence : trifling, inconsequential
: having no force : inoperative
Examples of NUGATORY

<the congressional resolution has symbolic value only, as it relates to a matter governed by the states and is thus nugatory>
<the book is entertaining, but its contributions to Shakespearean scholarship are nugatory>
Origin of NUGATORY

Latin nugatorius, from nugari to trifle, from nugae trifles
First Known Use: 1603
Related to NUGATORY

Synonyms
bad, inoperative, invalid, nonbinding, nonvalid, null, null and void, void
Antonyms
binding, good, valid
Related Words

Wax on, wax off.

Mr. Miyagi. Karate Kid

Mark
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 12:09:01 AM by mkevenson »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 12:01:39 AM »
Darn it Mark..you have now reminded me that my car needs waxing..... :'(

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 12:11:00 AM »
Darn it Mark..you have now reminded me that my car needs waxing..... :'(

I put the right link for you, now you can really, wax on wax off.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 12:32:53 AM »
I put the right link for you, now you can really, wax on wax off.
Gee wiz Wally, I'm jus a stupid little kid try'in to make a stupid 'ole pizza man.... :'(

Offline mvnolan

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 12:57:17 AM »
Kinda sounds like he flew off the handle, but I will admit that I offered up a legitimate suggestion once for a monthly challenge and received a private message from a "moderator" that sounded kind of bullyish.  I don't post much because of that message.  It wasn't anybody that has responded here, and I love the advice I get from you guys, but I don't post much because of the attitude that I perceive from threads just like this one.  I'm just a good ole Texas boy, and I may be wrong, but I thought this was all about sharing info amongst friends....  Just my .02$  Rant over.

Offline Tannerwooden

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2013, 01:20:38 AM »
Doc Martin  ???  I looked that up and he sounds interesting....thank you for that Mr. Tannerwooden.

My wife and my dad like it. I like's me some comedy every once in a while. Like you, I don't watch much.  I got rid of our cable subscription when our kids were born. Don't need the 99% crap that comes down that pipeline in my house.  We get stuff on Netflix.

pizzapan