Author Topic: What the heck???  (Read 2004 times)

Offline Pizzaboyo

Re: What the heck???
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2013, 06:40:28 AM »
Hyper by name. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .relax man, life's too short. :)
An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2013, 10:09:16 AM »
Rob,

When I joined the forum, and after Steve asked me to be a Moderator, life was easy. The month I joined, there were only 176 members. And only 3834 posts. So, moderating the forum was easy. Fast forward to the present time, there have been a total of almost a quarter million new posts. This dramatic growth in the forum caused me to become much more efficient as a Moderator, and how I perform my moderating duties, and also to be more selective in where I post. I did indeed see your post (the one I moved) and might have answered it but I knew that there were many other members who could answer your question far better than I could. Also, there are some very good search engines on the forum to find answers to the types of questions you raised. The search engine that I use most of the time (several times a day) is the one accessed under the Search button at the top of each page of the forum. Had I chosen to respond to your post, I would have told you that 1) I do not make enough pizzas to be able to go through a 50-lb bag of flour, 2) I do not have refrigerator or freezer storage capacity for 50-lb bags of flour, however, broken down into smaller amounts, 3) the 50-lb bag of flour would go rancid long before I could use it all, and 4) where I live in Texas I lose a lot of flour due to bug infestation, especially during the hot summer months. It is for these reasons that I only buy flour in small amounts.

Once you have spent more time on the forum, I think you will find that your navigating skills will improve and that you will learn how to find things much more quickly. For example, at the top of each page of the forum, you will see a link under where your forum name appears entitled "Show new replies to your posts". That will take you to all replies to your posts, no matter where they are at the time. At the bottom of each page of the forum, you will also see another link under Forum Stats entitled "View the most recent posts on the forum". That link will take you to the last 200 new posts on the forum. That number used to be 100 but, at my request, Steve increased the number to 200 because of the dramatic increase in new posts on the forum. That way, if for some reason or other new unread posts no longer show as such, you can look at the group of the last 200 posts and find the posts that you missed and want to read. That feature is particularly good for screening or scanning the newest posts in sequence and deciding which ones you want to read, either then or later. As was also previously mentioned, if you go to your profile and look under Summary, you will see another link entitled Show Posts. That link will give you a list of all of your posts. Finally, and was also previously mentioned, you can subscribe to the Notification feature that lets you know when other members have responded to your posts.

As for the forum software itself, about two weeks ago, Steve did a major software upgrade to the forum. So, what you are seeing is the best of what the forum has to offer. If that is insufficient for your needs, you might want to let Steve know. He is an IT guy by training and profession so I suspect he already knows what is out there, as well as any related costs, but it can't hurt to let him know what you might have in mind. Even with the current forum software there are mods that can be used to add new features.

Peter

Offline Tannerwooden

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2013, 10:32:43 AM »
Classy Pete.   :)

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2013, 11:22:56 AM »
DITTO
What I do each time I visit is click on "Show unread posts since last visit" then go through them and read what interests me and before I log off click on "mark all posts as read" then when I log in again I get all new posts. Simples  ;D
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:26:32 AM by Pizzaboyo »
An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2013, 12:07:19 PM »

I was thinking the exact same thing. This is what I enjoy about this forum, a lot of stand-up people here.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 02:03:27 PM by JD »
Josh

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2013, 12:09:34 PM »
Peter's contribution to this forum is immeasurable. It goes way beyond his moderation duties, which he does very well, IMO.

@Hypersprint - CHILL! There is an enormous amount of information here and a lot of very talented people wiling to answer your questions, provided you ask them in a respectful way.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2013, 10:53:11 AM »
Easy solution is just to click on your profile and search for posts.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

pizzapan