Author Topic: Warm up time on racks  (Read 629 times)

Offline By2day

Warm up time on racks
« on: April 01, 2013, 11:04:52 PM »
Hi, Wondered if you could help me out, I am doing a pan pizza in bakers pride deck oven.  We currently rise our dough, press it into pans(flatten the ball), cover it up and let rise again press all the way and store in coolers overnight using dough the next day or day after.  We take the dough out to warm up before cooking I find this to be the trickiest part as it takes a couple hours to warm so it's impossible to judge the number of crust to pull so I don't waste crust and have to throw them out for overrising. When we're busy we end up warming the crust up in the oven for 20 or 30 secs but I feel this tampers with the quality of the crust.  Any suggestions, I usually only get about 2-3 hours after warmed up and crust is over risen and not useable anymore.  Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Warm up time on racks
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 06:41:22 AM »
By2day,

I really donít think I can help you, but I am making 2 styles of pan pizzas (Greek and Detroit style), but on a much smaller scale than you do.  Just basically to let you know what I do is cold ferment my dough balls (right after mixing), then press them in the pans (cold) and when I think pizzas are needed put the pressed out skins in the pans in a heated cabinet.  The Greek style skins rise or proof in a fairly short time, but the Detroit style skins take a little longer to rise.  In a fairly short while, they are proofed and ready to bake.  Maybe some type of proofing cabinet might help you. 

I am also just learning what approaches are the best for pan pizzas.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 08:10:12 AM »
B2D;
What you are experiencing is common for a pan style pizza store. First, there is no need to toss any dough out. Just remove any unused or over proofed dough from the pan and store it in the cooler until you make your next dough then incorporate into the new dough at a level not to exceed 15% of the total dough weight. This is also a good dough to convert to breadsticks or garlic knots. But that doesn't address your question; what I would propose is to manage your proofed dough (in the pan) directly from the cooler. Remove the proofed dough from the cooler, and place onto a heated shelf at 160 to 180F (anything close to this will work), think heated shelf for holding pizzas on for delivery or pickup. PVI used to make such a shelf but have discontinued it. Shucks! You could make your own with a piece of stainless steel and a couple of heat lamps under it. The idea is to allow the cold dough to set on the heated surface for about 2-minutes, then dress it and bake. As the overall dough temperature will be colder, you may need to experiment with baking using a screen under each pan to control bottom bake. There are several regional chains that use a similar process with good success. As a last resort, you can always par-bake your crusts too. This really works well for the deep-dish style pizzas. Par-bake the crusts using about 1/2 of the normal amount of sauce on the dough to control bubbling, depan, place on rack to cool, then store at room temperature until needed (should not be an issue with health department) to finish the pizza, place back into a pan, apply remainder of sauce, and dress to the order, bake with a screen under the pan to prevent over baking the bottom of the pizza. Can you say "crispy"?
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline By2day

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 12:33:52 PM »
Do you have to adjust yeast and sugar levels if you add dough to the mix? I usually do a batch of dough with a single 20 kg bag of flour every time for simplicity, would I make the batch as normal then add the old dough or adjust any of the ingredients?
One of the processes we try is to put pans on top of the oven and the heat on top will warm up the dough but this is usually a 10 min process to get it to cook proper after.