Author Topic: Hello from Oklahoma!  (Read 137 times)

Offline dlggriffin

Hello from Oklahoma!
« on: April 02, 2013, 12:06:36 PM »
Hello all!

I recently got a stand mixer and I am ready to put it to good use, so I am hoping to find a good American style recipe (to start) and give my forearms a break at the same time!
Below is what I have been using (I apologize in advance if this is really close (or identical...) to someones recipe- I know I got the basics from here, but it has been a while so I don't recall who's it may be):

Hand tossed pizza dough

This is the latest incarnation of the dough we use at our house on a regular basis.

Makes 2 large pizzas or 4 small pizza

4 cups bread flour- preferrably KABF
2 cups cake flour
2 1/8 cups plus 1 tablespoon water (105 to 110 F)
1.75 and 1/8 teaspoons salt  (I use Kosher salt)
1 teaspoon ADY
pinch or two of sugar for the yeast to munch on
Mix and let rest for around 5 minutes

proof the yeast, with the sugar while combining the rest of the dry ingredients.  Add the water/yeast/sugar mixture to a large bowl and slowly add the rest until combined completely.  If need be, add more flour until I get the right consistency.

Turn out on a dusted surface and knead thoroughly until smooth and elastic.

Divide into separate balls and place in a oiled pan to rise in the fridge for as close to 50 hours as possible.  More is better than less.  Less than the 50 hours results in a difficult dough that is hard to get to the right size.

After the rise, get out of the fridge and turn out onto a dusted surface and stretch/throw out into desired size(s). 

Preheat the oven (and stone) for an hour before baking pizza.

Place on screens and bake  at 475 for 4 minutes on the screen and the stone and then 3 to 4 minutes on the stone only or until the cheese is bubbly and starting to brown.

*the original dough recipe is the same as above but without cake flour, using 5 1/8 cup plus 1 tablespoon bread flour and no cake flour.

Once again, I am in no way trying to take credit for this recipe, just thinking of how overwhelmed I was (and still am when I look for a new recipe) with all of the technical info, sometimes it helps to just have a basic, easy to follow recipe for all of us non what-ever-the-equivallent-of-a-green-thumb-in-the-kitchen-is peeps here!

Does anyone know an approximation of time in a mixer for the knead when swapping a hand knead to a mechanical knead, or is it just best to experiment? I was thinking about 5 mins or so on speed 2 with a C-hook.

Thanks to all who contribute to this great forum!

Thanks,

Doug