Author Topic: Little Caesars does Detroit Style?  (Read 3538 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Little Caesars does Detroit Style?
« on: April 02, 2013, 01:21:48 PM »
I just saw an ad for this on TV. They even refer to it as DS on their website: http://www.littlecaesars.com/OurMenu/Pizza/DEEPDEEP%E2%84%A2DishPizza.aspx

"Our Detroit-style deep dish pizza with a unique, crisp-on-the-bottom, soft-and-chewy-on-the-inside crust. Topped from coast-to-coast with fresh, premium mozzarella and Muenster, baked to a crispy, crunchy, caramelized cheese edge."
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Skee

Re: Little Caesars does Detroit Style?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 01:57:10 PM »
$8?  Jet's just opened their south Austin location, haven't been over there yet, and I thought $11 was pretty inexpensive for eight slices. 

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 10:24:22 AM »
I making one pizza tonight and going to tr the little c one tonight also.
Picture looks good.
My local little c does a better job than the other ones around. I think because most of the other little c just have pizza sitting there done waiting to be picked up. The one close to me still takes orders. Whatever the reason I know my local is much better than the others.

Offline Shwony

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 08:36:11 AM »
I used to work at our local Little Caesars (located in a K-mart) and they use a conveyer-belt style pizza oven -- heats to 800 degrees -- so I'm wondering how they bake Detroit Style.  Have to visit and see if there's a new oven in the kitchen.  Will try pizza soon, just curious, and I'll get back to this topic.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 09:32:32 AM »
I found it interesting in the recent Slice article about new Little Caesars deep deep-dish pizza that pizzansliderguy commented that he lives in the metro Detroit area and he thinks Caesars is taking aim at Buddy’s.  He also comments that in the day, Buddy’s was great.  He said Buddy’s quality has gone down, but Buddy’s is still good.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/04/little-caesars-new-deepdeep-dish.html#comments

Norma

Always working and looking for new information!

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 09:27:50 PM »
I found it interesting in the recent Slice article about new Little Caesars deep deep-dish pizza that pizzansliderguy commented that he lives in the metro Detroit area and he thinks Caesars is taking aim at Buddy’s.  He also comments that in the day, Buddy’s was great.  He said Buddy’s quality has gone down, but Buddy’s is still good.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/04/little-caesars-new-deepdeep-dish.html#comments

Norma

The problem with Buddy's is consistency.  5 weeks ago I had a pizza from the Grosse Pointe location, and it was one of the best Detroit style pies I've ever had.  Last week I had pizza from that same location twice and had two of the worst Detroit Style pie's I've ever had.  Buddy's is a chain with lots of employees working at lots of locations.  There is no passion, and no artistry, just low payed kids putting pizzas in an oven.  On the other hand the single location Detroit style landmarks like Cloverleaf and Loui's tend to be incredibly consistent. 

On another note, Little Caesars has done a pizza very similar to this in Metro Detroit for years at the same price point.  I would guess that they simply jazzed it up a bit and rolled it out nationwide to jump on the current Detroit style bandwagon.  My wife actually had the new version the other day with our nieces and nephews and didn't even notice it was something different until I saw the box and asked her about it.  The old version was very similar to jet's pizza, just down a notch or two in quality.
-Jeff

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 10:10:04 PM »
The problem with Buddy's is consistency.  5 weeks ago I had a pizza from the Grosse Pointe location, and it was one of the best Detroit style pies I've ever had.  Last week I had pizza from that same location twice and had two of the worst Detroit Style pie's I've ever had.  Buddy's is a chain with lots of employees working at lots of locations.  There is no passion, and no artistry, just low payed kids putting pizzas in an oven.  On the other hand the single location Detroit style landmarks like Cloverleaf and Loui's tend to be incredibly consistent. 

On another note, Little Caesars has done a pizza very similar to this in Metro Detroit for years at the same price point.  I would guess that they simply jazzed it up a bit and rolled it out nationwide to jump on the current Detroit style bandwagon.  My wife actually had the new version the other day with our nieces and nephews and didn't even notice it was something different until I saw the box and asked her about it.  The old version was very similar to jet's pizza, just down a notch or two in quality.

Jeff,

I found that interesting that you know there are consistency problems at Buddy’s.  I always enjoy hearing about another member that has really tried a Buddy’s pizza different times.  I can understand there would be not much of any passion from lower paid younger employees.

I find it interesting too that Little Caesars has done a pizza very similar to what they are now doing in Metro Detroit.  I recall eating Little Caesars pizzas years ago with my husband and granddaughter and didn’t think they were not good at that time.  We had Little Caesars different times at our local K-Mart.  I don’t know what I would think of their pizzas now though.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 03:19:39 PM »
I have compiled a list of all the ways in which the LC "Deep Deep Dish" Pizzas resemble DS pizzas:

1. They are square.

Thank You

John K
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 03:42:04 PM by Serpentelli »

Offline derricktung

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 03:52:23 PM »
Rough... in another post, Jetdeck provided a review on the pizza as well, which was pretty poor.  IndyRob seems to have had a better experience though, so it may well depend on which store you go to and what time of day it is...

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,24264.msg246094.html#msg246094

Offline Skee

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 04:01:43 PM »
1. They are square.
From the pics, I would guess that they're just using their standard dough for these "DS" pies.  Aren't they violating the rules by putting the pepperoni on top, too?  ;)

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 04:14:14 PM »
From the pics, I would guess that they're just using their standard dough for these "DS" pies.  Aren't they violating the rules by putting the pepperoni on top, too?  ;)

To quote B+B:  "Breaking the Law! Breaking the Law!"

I think you can have both, (over-roni and under-roni). But just over-roni? Tsk, tsk.

John K

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 11:25:00 PM »
It seemed to me that the LC Deep Dish needed a higher hydration, a shorter mixing time, a higher temp, and a longer cooking time. But other than that it was edible.

Offline IndyRob

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 06:20:31 PM »
It seemed to me that the LC Deep Dish needed a higher hydration, a shorter mixing time, a higher temp, and a longer cooking time. But other than that it was edible.

Out of curiosity, what characteristics do you feel these changes would make?  I thought that crust-wise, the product was pretty good but I wondered if I'd like the dough to be a bit more dense/chewy.

As far as who they're going after, I figured it was Jet's.  They offer a very similar 8 corner pizza.  When I went there for the first time, I really felt that they had run off with Little Caesar's baby (the Pan Pan).  Somehow they appear to be making it work after LC started to drop it.  And being in 16 states now, they're more of a direct competitor than Buddy's.  The recent attention to Detroit style pizza was probably just a kick in the pants.

Incidentally, (as I mentioned in the New thread) I grew up in Detroit and was never aware of Buddy's, or the sauce juxtaposition thing.  I would have viewed it as heresy (since I've sampled Chicago style pizza's, I'm less rigid about such things).  I was however, aware of a great variety of sub-styles within the general genre.  These included the best frozen pizza I've ever had - a locally-made (I think branded by a local bar) baby Sicilian in an aluminum foil pan that somehow baked up into an excellent pizza with a properly crisp crust in a normal home oven.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 11:22:27 PM »

I may put pepperoni under the cheese, but you can take it to the bank that there will be more on top of the cheese as well.

I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 11:33:43 PM »
I may put pepperoni under the cheese, but you can take it to the bank that there will be more on top of the cheese as well.

Ditto!

John K

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2013, 06:17:31 PM »
Out of curiosity, what characteristics do you feel these changes would make?  I thought that crust-wise, the product was pretty good but I wondered if I'd like the dough to be a bit more dense/chewy.

As far as who they're going after, I figured it was Jet's.  They offer a very similar 8 corner pizza.  When I went there for the first time, I really felt that they had run off with Little Caesar's baby (the Pan Pan).  Somehow they appear to be making it work after LC started to drop it.  And being in 16 states now, they're more of a direct competitor than Buddy's.  The recent attention to Detroit style pizza was probably just a kick in the pants.

Well, I would like the pizza to be a bit less dense and definitely crispier :pizza: :pizza: Since the LC DD is actually 2 pizzas put into one box I was thinking about going down there and asking them for half of one for 4 dollars, it's more than enough pizza for one or two people.

Offline IndyRob

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2013, 08:00:56 PM »
Well, I would like the pizza to be a bit less dense and definitely crispier :pizza: :pizza: Since the LC DD is actually 2 pizzas put into one box I was thinking about going down there and asking them for half of one for 4 dollars, it's more than enough pizza for one or two people.

I think we must've gotten totally different products (quality-wise).  I've had two so far and both have been very light and airy (perhaps too much so?  I'm still arguing with myself about that.)

I found a KMart LC that was still doing the Baby Pan Pan as well as the new Deep Dish.  I ordered a Baby Pan since I was on the road.  It was very dense and flat (I think the dough had over-proofed to a major extent).  Oddly, both times I've ordered the deep dish (at my local dedicated store), it was promised and ready in 6-7 minutes.  The Baby Pan here?  15 minutes.  These were all at non-busy times.

Regarding the quantity, refrigerate or freeze it.  There is no better pizza for this (owing more to the Sicilian characteristics than anything LC does).  Put a cooled slice in a Zip-Loc bag and in the fridge.  Nuke it for 20 seconds (maybe 40-60 for frozen) to warm it (having opened one end of the bag), and then into a toaster oven at 400 degrees (directly on the rack) for a couple of minutes.  It works.  Not as good as fresh, but much better than any frozen pizza.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 08:06:28 PM by IndyRob »

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2013, 08:04:33 PM »
Well I pigishly ate one of the two squares.

And it made me feel bad. Just bad. Like I had too much movie theater popcorn. Hard to explain but it was a bad experience.

I was hoping it would be better.

John K

Offline IndyRob

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 08:15:54 PM »
Well I pigishly ate one of the two squares.

And it made me feel bad. Just bad. Like I had too much movie theater popcorn. Hard to explain but it was a bad experience.

I was hoping it would be better.

John K

I think I get what you mean, but 4 slices would be a big dose (it must not have tasted all that bad).  Do you think you might feel the same way about a Pizza Hut pan pizza?  An oil fried dough thing?

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2013, 08:31:58 PM »
Perhaps you overlooked the word "piggishly" :)

I tried not to eat the edges, since they contained NO CARAMELIZED CHEESE >:( and yet I still felt that way.

Much worse than I would have felt after 5 slices of NY style or 10 slices of NP pies. Cannot comment on PH since I don't go there. (Not convenient to my home)

John K