Author Topic: Little Caesars does Detroit Style?  (Read 4244 times)

Offline IndyRob

Re: Little Caesars does Detroit Style?
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2013, 09:02:14 PM »
Perhaps you overlooked the word "piggishly" :)

I tried not to eat the edges, since they contained NO CARAMELIZED CHEESE >:( and yet I still felt that way.

Much worse than I would have felt after 5 slices of NY style or 10 slices of NP pies. Cannot comment on PH since I don't go there. (Not convenient to my home)

John K

I'm trying to understand. You're saying that you avoided the edges because they had no caramelized cheese, but you ate the interior (which certainly wouldn't have had any)?

Why would a NY style have any relevance to a Detroit style?  Is it just about how many slices can be consumed?

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 10:40:29 PM »
I'm trying to understand. You're saying that you avoided the edges because they had no caramelized cheese, but you ate the interior (which certainly wouldn't have had any)?

Why would a NY style have any relevance to a Detroit style?  Is it just about how many slices can be consumed?

Rob,

Not trying to be a smart Aleck. The inside pert of the squares was edible and tasty in its hot out of the oven state. By not eating the crust I guess I was trying to limit overall caloric intake :-[

Wt I'm trying to get across is the fact that I perceive there to be on a volumetric basis something inherently undesirable about the way a certain volume of this pizza made me feel compared to many other commercial pizzas I've had. A similar volume of the "same style" (DS) pizza made by me, in my home, did not make me feel poorly at all!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline IndyRob

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2013, 10:16:52 PM »
Slice reviews the LC Deep Deep Dish;

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/04/chain-reaction-little-caesars-deepdeep-dish-pizza.html

This has to be among the worst pizza reviews ever.

When a fast-food corporation comes out with a new item, I always wonder how the idea becomes a reality. I imagine someone in a brand-name suit with slicked back hair and self-esteem issues, using a PowerPoint presentation to pitch the edgy and innovative idea to a boardroom of expressionless executives. No one says a word, and then the CEO gives a slight nod. The presenter exits the boardroom and fist-pumps in the hallway. That's how it happens, right? Right.

No, really I suspect that it's more like "Hey guys, Jet's is eating our lunch from Michigan down to Florida with the very pan pizza we created and moved away from.  And now Detroit style pizza is getting some media play.  They may have something with this eight corner pizza though.  A sort of compromise between our old square pan pizza and the eight corner Baby Pan! Pan!"

So this guy goes to a KMart for one.  Then he explains how he screwed it before opening the box by piling "a bunch of stuff on your pizza box in order to cover your shame of buying Little Caesar's and bringing it home, alone."  Nice.

Then a bit about canned mushrooms.  Ok.  I just disagree.

Then good things until we get to the crust.  Then we find that he can't tell the difference between cheese and raw dough - or one of any number of other euphemisms (e.g. his a$$ from a hole in the ground).  He has to dismantle the pizza to figure it out.

Now, to be fair. this gum line issue might be a problem for many.  Ok, perhaps this pizza is not for everyone.

But then....

Save the $3 and go for the regular $5 Hot-N-Ready pizza if you absolutely have to have Little Caesar's, and instead of ordering the emulsified meat-product sausage (which does have actual whole fennel seeds, surprisingly), throw on some pepperoni. Skip those mushrooms. Oh, and go to Detroit for a Detroit-style pie.

Are you kidding me?  You actually like the $5 LC Pizza? 

Ok, do you even know what 'emulsified' means?  Like vinaigrette?  Or Hollandaise?  No, you probably read the word 'emulsified' on a package of something and figured it was a chemical thing.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 10:22:12 PM by IndyRob »

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2013, 10:29:41 AM »
I think we must've gotten totally different products (quality-wise).  I've had two so far and both have been very light and airy (perhaps too much so?  I'm still arguing with myself about that.)

I found a KMart LC that was still doing the Baby Pan Pan as well as the new Deep Dish.  I ordered a Baby Pan since I was on the road.  It was very dense and flat (I think the dough had over-proofed to a major extent).  Oddly, both times I've ordered the deep dish (at my local dedicated store), it was promised and ready in 6-7 minutes.  The Baby Pan here?  15 minutes.  These were all at non-busy times.

Regarding the quantity, refrigerate or freeze it.  There is no better pizza for this (owing more to the Sicilian characteristics than anything LC does).  Put a cooled slice in a Zip-Loc bag and in the fridge.  Nuke it for 20 seconds (maybe 40-60 for frozen) to warm it (having opened one end of the bag), and then into a toaster oven at 400 degrees (directly on the rack) for a couple of minutes.  It works.  Not as good as fresh, but much better than any frozen pizza.

It is certainly possible that we got two different products, every pizza is unique after all. I have worked at both LC and PH where I ate their pan pizzas every day, of course I was also making the dough so perhaps that is why the pizzas tasted so good  :chef:

I will admit to these LC DD pies being almost there in terms of the quality for value ratio.

Offline pjbear05

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 08:31:19 PM »
Tried LC DD 3 or 4 times from different locations. Thick crust that is not "fried" on the bottom like Buddy's or Shields.  Minimal cheese, sauce, and toppings.  Poor.  This ex-Detroit boy is NOT impressed, and is going back to scratch made.  A pity there's no Jet's nearby.   :(
"Aw, Paulie?  You won't see him no more!"

pizzapan