Author Topic: Serving pizza for dine-in  (Read 452 times)

Offline ddwatter@tds.net

• I Love Pizza!
Serving pizza for dine-in
« on: April 03, 2013, 09:02:36 AM »
In delivery and take-out, we understand. But for dine-in, once the pizza comes out of the oven. What do you slice your pizza on before placing the pizza on a serving tray. I don't think you want to slice on the serving tray.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Serving pizza for dine-in
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 09:15:25 AM »
DD;
At home I slice my pizzas on a large metal serving tray and then bring it to the table on the same tray. In a store/pizzeria setting some operators do the same thing, others will cut their pizzas on cutting board made of UHMW (hard plastic), or any of those man made hard counter tops work well too. My favorite is a wood cutting board or even a cutting peel, but some health departments may push back on them so be sure to discuss your intention with them first. The reason why I like to cut my pizzas on a wood peel is because the wood is easier on my cutting tools (doesn't dull the edge) and it allows me to easily transfer the cut pizza to nicer serving tray.
One man's opinion.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 09:28:01 AM »
The vast vast majority of pizza places I've been to cut the pizza with a wheel directly on the metal (or ceramic) serving plate.

With NY, American, and other hearty styles of pizza, you can get away with sliding a cut pie from a cutting board to a serving plate. With Neapolitan pies, it is a riskier proposition that I would try to avoid given the delicate nature of the pie, though I've still seen it done. Tony's in North Beach, for example, cuts his Margherita STG on a wood cutting board and then slides it off onto the cake stand looking thing he serves them on.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline PHXCobra

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 12:41:23 PM »
the place I most recently worked at we had steel peels for a wfo.  It was a thin crust Chicago style place.  We would cut it right on the peel.  I didn't prefer this method but its what we did.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 04:50:08 PM »
Don't underestimate the good 'ol lowly cardboard rounds.  ;)  Place it on your metal serving tray...helps avoid soggy crust syndrome and easy on your cutting tools too!  8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

pizzapan