Author Topic: New member in Edgerton Wisconsin  (Read 191 times)

Offline halveb

• I Love Pizza!
New member in Edgerton Wisconsin
« on: April 03, 2013, 09:51:29 AM »
Hi fellow pizza fans.  I bought Peter Reinhardt's book American Pie when I decided to learn about making pizza and thus began my journey on pizza.  I have always been a fan of wood cooking (in yhe past I have done a lot of camping and cooking over an open fire) and the idea of a WFO intrigued me.

My initial reactions are usually more intense than my follow through so I am doing a lot of reading and absorbing of information to determine exactly how to approach pizza making.  I currently only cook pizza in my home oven on a stone and it turns out good enough for me.  Of course, I am always willing and wanting to improve.  Right now my struggle is what I can reasonably afford and what will work best for me; home oven with some combination os stone(s), some type of kettle based setup using a combination of charcoal and hardwood, an oven add-on for a gas grill, a gas fired dedicated oven, or a full blown WFO (I already know I don't have the time or desire to build one from scratch so it would a cast pre-made unit which would require less effort to put together.

My dough skills are probably lacking but I get the sense that much of the dough technique is dependent on the oven temps possible so I haven't done too much experimentation on that front yet.  I cuurently use Peter Reinhardt's cold fermentation process for neo-neapolitan dough (which I guess would be classified as New York style in most people's opinion).  Looking forward to much learning here and I have already been lurking for several months.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: New member in Edgerton Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 11:15:47 AM »
halveb, welcome to the forum. As a relative newcomer to the pizza world myself, it is interesting to see how many varieties of dough are used and how many ovens. If you ever plan on expanding your dough to include higher heat bakes, there are several ovens out there, discussed on these forums, that will get you high heat without the expense of a WFO. Pizza making is fun and there is so much to learn. You have come to the right place! :pizza:

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline halveb

• I Love Pizza!
Re: New member in Edgerton Wisconsin
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 01:37:32 PM »
Thanks Mark I have been reading with i terest your experience with the 2stone.  I really appreciate everyone who takes the time to share, it is very useful for us beginners. One thing is for sure I don't mind the failures in this endeavor since even they taste good.  :-)