Author Topic: Today's farmer's market pizza  (Read 497 times)

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Today's farmer's market pizza
« on: July 28, 2013, 11:11:32 PM »
So I have grown in the past year to really love heirloom tomatoes . We are lucky here to have several growers that bring their product to our local farmers market.
Last night says I," I'm going to the farmers market and get some produce to make a veggie pie."
I found a farmer with the best heirloom tomatoes at an incredible price. I told him I didn't need the perfect $3.99/lb heirlooms, "I am making pizza sauce". So he brings out a box, 50 cents/lb. WOW, I buy 3 bucks worth.
Another vendor had these torpedo looking red onions, he says, " grill em". A little while later I find shiitake shrooms grown right down the road, $3 worth should do it.
I'm done shopping for my Sunday pie.

I peeled the heirlooms and ran the meat through the mill. Sauce done. No need for salt, sugar or nothin'. This sauce is all tomato.

I grilled the torpedo onion, cut the shrooms and added my only canned ingredient, black olives.

So here it is, baked for 5 min on my 2 Stone at about 600F
 Sorry about the "out of round". And the out of focus crumb shot.

Hope ya'll had a great weekend!!!!

Mark

"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
Re: Today's farmer's market pizza
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 12:02:27 PM »
I do love the farmer's market. You can spend your entire weekly food budget there in about 10 minutes, but still it's great.  Good idea about asking for the sauce tomatoes. 

The pizza looks delicious, and I bet it was. 

Regards,

TinRoof

pizzapan