Author Topic: Broiler used to heat oven question  (Read 1226 times)

Offline Utalpha

Broiler used to heat oven question
« on: April 03, 2013, 02:41:09 PM »
Hi,

I have a gas oven that only goes to 500, the heat for the oven comes from the broiler (one of those bottom pull out tray deals).  So my question was has anyone just turned the broiler on hi, and left it like that to heat the oven?  I was thinking it would just stay on and the internal oven temp would get over 500?

Thanks for the info, doing a cold rise right now and will give it a try regardless tomorrow pm...

Offline Pizzaboyo

Re: Broiler used to heat oven question
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 03:52:01 PM »
I have a 1" thick pizza stone and what I do is pre heat it for an hour or so at 500f and then approx 30min or so on full grill (broiler) and I've recorded up to 650f on the stone with an ir thermometer, its more than likely surface heat but it cooks my pizzas in 4min. :chef:
An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth.

Offline derricktung

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 04:31:43 PM »
Most ovens with a broiler from the top tend to "cycle" on and off based on temperature of the oven.  If you're looking to get consistent heat, you'll want to find a way to prop open the oven slightly during the cook time in order to prevent the oven from cycling off.

Here's some more information: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=20211.0

Offline Utalpha

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 08:11:31 PM »
Yea maybe I was not very clear.  My broiler is not in the over, it's below it in a pull out drawer.  The flames that are used for the broiler also heat the oven.   Sooooo I was wondering if I just leave it one broil without even turning the oven on, could I reach higher temp.  I was thinking this because the flame would never turn off...

Thanks

Offline derricktung

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 10:41:06 AM »
Hmm... you can definitely heat the stone with the drawer broiler, but the key question is whether you have enough room between the stone and the broiler to fit a pie.  Most ovens that have a broiler in the bottom don't have much room for the crust to rise...

You'll likely have to experiment to see what happens.

My other concern would be whether the drawer retains enough heat to get great rise on your crust to cook it, or whether the broiler will just end up burning the top of your pies due to lack of heat around the pie itself...

Let us know how your test run goes...

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 11:18:44 AM »
Hi,

I have a gas oven that only goes to 500, the heat for the oven comes from the broiler (one of those bottom pull out tray deals).  So my question was has anyone just turned the broiler on hi, and left it like that to heat the oven?  I was thinking it would just stay on and the internal oven temp would get over 500?

Thanks for the info, doing a cold rise right now and will give it a try regardless tomorrow pm...
I have the same type of oven. That broiler will stay on but I believe the oven is designed to vent off heat so the upper area will only get so hot 550ish? Lay that stone right on the oven deck an she can get real hot.  >:D  I've never thought to take temps though so it will be interesting to see what you discover Utalpha...good luck!  :chef:

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Utalpha

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 09:44:34 PM »
Yup my little idea was dead wrong... Oven didn't get any hotter.  Actually feel like it vented more heat and was a lower temp.  Still tasty though ;). Oh well

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
Makes you wonder how much heat one of these ovens could take if one was to block off the vent.....hmmm   :-\

"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline darrenb

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 10:16:40 PM »
Reviving this thread because few seem to address the broiler-drawer question.

I have a 500 degree max gas oven with broiler drawer. The broiler element seems to channel heat downward. I believe that the oven temp is actually lower on the broiler setting than on 500 bake.

I've had success with a 3/8 baking steel, preheated under the broiler for an hour. Bake for about 4-5 min, maybe 6. Great rise on the dough, spotting on crust, etc. However, the steel didn't retain enough heat and the bottom of the crust sufficient browning. Not bad, but should better.

Alternatively, I place the steel on the top rack of the oven and crank the oven as high as it goes. The steel browns the bottom of the crust beautifully and the ceiling of the oven reflects heat to adequately cook the top. The rise of the dough wasn't as impressive as the broiler method, and the total cook time inched closer to 8 minutes or so.

Will soon try preheating in oven and then moving stone to drawer, but this is a pain.

Offline scott123

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 03:32:35 AM »
Darren, to date, this is the best implementation of a gas oven with a broiler drawer:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,15856.msg251708.html#msg251708

There's a massive amount of extraneous information, but the info regarding the oven setup is solid. If you can track down the right quarry tiles (or spend the money on fibrament), the right glazed tiles for a ceiling, and the right pan to use as a deflector, I'm certain you can see a 4 minute balanced bake in your oven. That's a lot of ifs, but, if you're motivated, it can be done.

pizzapan