Author Topic: Did oven proofing ruin my pizza?  (Read 624 times)

Offline johndoe1986

• I Love Pizza!
Did oven proofing ruin my pizza?
« on: April 03, 2013, 05:16:39 PM »
First time poster here trying to figure out what the cause of my problems are.  A couple of weeks ago, I used the dough recipe for Sicilian style pizza from Serious Eats (which from what I gather people around here are not terribly fond of).  My house is very, very cold right now, so I took the two doughs I made and placed them in a room with a heater, covered in a blanket for two hours as I did not have plastic wrap.  Based on what the recipe said the dough should look and feel like after it's risen, I think it came out pretty well and about what I was looking for, though the middle of the pizza but was a bit messy (not sure how to fix that).  Only problem was that one of them didn't rise maybe 25% as much (total guess).  The second time around, someone suggested that I use the oven's proofing feature for more even rising.  I did so, this time with a cloth over them, and they came out terribly.  The dough had this tough outer shell that I knew was going to be a problem and when I started to stretch it it seemed to break all over the place very easily.  The dough came out brittle and almost like a pie crust.  My question is was the oven method the problem here? The cloth? I suspect the temperature of the oven was at the very least double the room temperature near the heater, which perhaps made it rise too fast?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I should've taken pictures!

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Did oven proofing ruin my pizza?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 06:13:48 PM »
which from what I gather people around here are not terribly fond of

Not true. Slice/Serious Eats is a great forum. It serves a very different purpose. Pizzamaking.com is much more in the weeds of pizza making where slice is more restaurant/retail-centric. Slice is also largely a different audience.

As for proofing in the oven, I use the oven from time-to-time when I need to speed things up a little. Generally, I just turn on the light for warmth - maybe run the broiler for 30 seconds to help get it warm to start. It works great for this purpose. I always cover with plastic wrap/lid in the oven or not to be sure I don't get a skin.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

pizzapan