Author Topic: Toppings directly on top of Chicago Style pizza  (Read 1510 times)

Offline UGAChemDawg

• I Love Pizza!
Toppings directly on top of Chicago Style pizza
« on: January 19, 2006, 12:40:18 AM »
I learned the hard way that if you put meat toppings directly on top of the sauce of a chicago style pizza, they usually get burnt to a crisp.

If I must have toppings on top for decorative purposes, is it ok to use pre-cooked meats (I think Hormel pepperoni actually is) and put them on top with like 10-15 minutes left to bake?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Toppings directly on top of Chicago Style pizza
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 10:33:30 AM »
UGAChemDawg,

I think you might get away with it. In fact, that general approach is used by some pizza operators with standard flat pizzas. However, you may want to watch the baking of the pepperoni slices along with the browning of the crust, and cover the pie with a sheet of aluminum foil if the pepperoni cooks too fast and/or the crust browns too quickly.

Peter

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
Re: Toppings directly on top of Chicago Style pizza
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 11:42:18 AM »
Pepperoni is what is called non-cooked, shelf-stable sausage. Because of the curing agents, lack of moisture ,and acidity of it, bacteria doesn't grow, so really you can eat it "raw" with no bad effects(like the Italian salamis you might see hanging in a deli).It is usually refrigerated or vacuum sealed.

pizzapan