Author Topic: 2 Pies  (Read 2700 times)

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
2 Pies
« on: April 03, 2013, 07:19:37 PM »
Will be opening up soon.
Have been batting the menu around for a while.
I like "Da Michele's lean menu"
Is 2 pies doable? (in the US) .......what do you think?

Willard

1. view from entrance
2. Pizza prep
3. front seating
4. back seating

2Stone blog: www.2stoneblog.com

Offline TXCraig1

Re: 2 Pies
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 07:26:20 PM »
Is 2 pies doable? (in the US) .......what do you think?

Maranara and Margherita? Why not? Especially if they are REALLY good as I'm sure they will be. Worst case, you could have sopressata on hand and offer 4 pies with only the one extra ingredient. Or, maybe 2 pies that are always the same and one that changes based on the best available ingredients?

I love the look of the place.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 07:38:30 PM »
Looks really nice Wilard.

I was going to suggest similar to Craig. Two pies, with 1-2 optional rotating add ons or maybe a special pie once in awhile. I almost always order margherita or a margherita with one add on-sausage, arugula or prosciutto are my faves.

You'd have to decide of marg and marinara are the right two though. I think margherita and ...

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 07:39:48 PM »
Yes, M and M.....your last option  " + one that changes based on the best available ingredients" is interesting.

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 08:11:39 PM »
Thanks,

Wonder what the ratio would be,
Margherita vs Marinara

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 08:30:42 PM »
I would offer a margherita and another one with a meat topping.  Marinara is by request for those who are lactose intolerant or just want it.  It should be mentioned on the menu but not necessarily be one of two main options. 

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 09:44:05 PM »
Can you dress up the wall behind the oven?  Knock'em dead.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 10:41:10 AM »
Very nice Willard...I really dig the light fixtures you have chosen.

What about a red pie and a green(pesto)pie. Maybe offer 2 different cheeses and 2 different meats. A mini "build your own" theme?

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 10:58:32 AM »
Nice looking place.  No mushroom pie?
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 11:33:59 AM »
Thanks,

Wonder what the ratio would be,
Margherita vs Marinara

I bet you sell more maranara pies than you might think. It's one of my favorites - with fresh oregano, basil, and sliced garlic, and a drizzle of Calabrian chili oil post bake, it can be transcendental. It should never be looked at as a Margherita without cheese.  It's a bit of a paradox. On one hand it would seem to be the simplest of pizza, however on closer examination, it proves to be one of the most difficult. Unlike any other pie, it is completely absent of any mechanism to hide mistakes or defects in the crust, sauce, assembly, or bake.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 12:43:08 PM »
Willard,

The place looks awesome! What a great sense of design you have!

Down where I am I'd have to offer 18 different types of pies, including a CiCi's type of $hitty "pizza bar" if I was trying to make money. Those choices would be in addition to the "all-you-can-eat Winganza Tuesdays".

Even then I'd get complaints.

You'll never get a consensus on the two types, especially not here! :)

So I'd say stick with your gut instinct. Let your dough and oven shine. Let people enjoy the feeling of being in your beautiful space, smelling your deliciously crafted pies. Go with the two you suggested and let us know how they are received.

Best of luck!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 09:16:17 AM »
Thanks for all the complements on the design,

Jet deck,....yah pretty bare now.... I have more ovens coming in and one or two racks above the ovens for the dough trays.

Thanks for all the observations on the minimal menu. I agree that people misunderstand the marinara / maranara (wonder which spelling is correct, I see it both ways)
Its probably a pretty hard pizza to do right.....I will have to try some of your suggestions.......don't get the pizza bar concept either......more is not better

I will probably get some heated reactions (in this neck of the woods) with a "2 pie + 1 special" menu... maybe because people have been trained for "topping-centric" pizza.

P.S.
I got Health dept. approval yesterday.....I started this project over 2-1/2 years ago....my respects go out to anyone starting up a place..."may the force be with you!" 

Willard

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 09:27:02 AM »
Thanks for all the observations on the minimal menu. I agree that people misunderstand the marinara / maranara (wonder which spelling is correct, I see it both ways)

It's Marinara.

My pizza is better than my spelling  ;D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline PizzaJerk

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 12:44:51 PM »
I love the looks of the place, simple and tasteful. I would see no problem with starting off with the 2 pies as well as a pizza bianca for those who dislike sauce. Once you get rolling, your creativity will take hold and you can offer a "special" pie each day or week (as Craig suggested).

How many ovens do you plan on running?

Anthony
May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.

Offline Everlast

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 01:22:33 PM »
Hey Willard, the place looks great. I also think you'll need to offer at least one pizza with a meat topping (my vote is for sopressata or calabrese), so maybe 3 total. I like the idea of a limited menu. In fact, many places have menus that are way too extensive and there seems to be a lack of focus. One other thing - are the chairs comfortable for guys? I'm a bit concerned about the, uh, ergonomics.

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 02:29:38 PM »
The seats are big and actually extremely comfortable.....no problem with the "jewels" (well one guy has complained so far!)
Maybe need a few flat ones. Will be using three ovens. Doing aprox. 3 min bakes. Hope to do around 50 pr. hr.....could speed it up if need be.

I'm a big mushroom fan, especially the exotic ones..... Shiitake, Oyster, Cremini, Morel also like sliced up baked potato with fresh Rosemary. ( you can kind of tell I was raised a vegetarian!)
but hey who knows..... now its a big fad.....also heath dept. rules are horrendous for meat.

Offline Everlast

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 03:24:03 PM »
What temps will you be running the ovens at? They are all 2stone Commercials right? What is the style of pizza for a 3 minute bake?

One of my favorite mushroom pizzas is with a black truffle oil base, robiola, cremini, oyster, and white mushrooms with a touch of truffle salt to finish. My friends go nuts over it.

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 08:13:11 AM »
Bake at 600 2-1/2 to 3 min, commercial oven.
Can't really pin my pizza down to any style anymore....maybe a cross between Neap. And NY....don't know.
Use a 9 oz 75% hydrat. dogh ball, 24-48 cold bulk rise, and shape for a 2-4 hr. final room temp rise.
Stretch it thin with a extra full (almost hollow when baked rim) and oil the rim prebake, for a 12" pie.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2013, 03:00:12 PM »
Bake at 600 2-1/2 to 3 min, commercial oven.
Can't really pin my pizza down to any style anymore....maybe a cross between Neap. And NY....don't know.
Use a 9 oz 75% hydrat. dogh ball, 24-48 cold bulk rise, and shape for a 2-4 hr. final room temp rise.
Stretch it thin with a extra full (almost hollow when baked rim) and oil the rim prebake, for a 12" pie.

Willard,

I wold love to see a crumb shot of that pie. The "almost hollow when baked" rim is something that I am striving for. It sounds like Craig's pies look. And yet there are no apparent similarities in hydration or cooking temps/times....

Pics, or else just send me a coupla pies. Or a plane ticket!  :-D

John K
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 03:05:01 PM by Serpentelli »
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2013, 03:42:39 PM »
Willard,

I wold love to see a crumb shot of that pie. The "almost hollow when baked" rim is something that I am striving for. It sounds like Craig's pies look. And yet there are no apparent similarities in hydration or cooking temps/times....

Pics, or else just send me a coupla pies. Or a plane ticket!  :-D

John K

He's posted them on here somewhere, but here's one from his site. The pizzas look amazing. http://2stoneblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/20121111-150743.jpg