Author Topic: 2 Pies  (Read 2940 times)

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
Re: 2 Pies
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 09:46:25 AM »
He's posted them on here somewhere, but here's one from his site. The pizzas look amazing. http://2stoneblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/20121111-150743.jpg

Oh boy, that's what I thought! Looks GREAT! More! More! More! :drool:

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 05:30:49 PM »
hollow crust 
2Stone blog: www.2stoneblog.com

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 05:49:02 PM »
more crust

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2013, 05:51:05 PM »
willard, dont fear the lack of toppings.    One of my favorite pizzerias, una pizza napoletana, for the entire time it was in NYC offered only cheese, no cheese, and the option of fresh tomatoes.... thats it.   There was almost always a line of people waiting to get on of those pizzas!   If everything else is perfect, you can get away with something like that.   

On another note, you mention your temp to be 600, but the pizzas only take 2.5-3 minutes.     In most ovens a 600 degree floor temp would be making pizzas closer to 5 minutes... sometimes more, especially with a dough as wet as yours.    Im not judging in any way, but I am just pointing out what I am assuming are the differences between a standard commercial oven and one of your ovens.         

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2013, 06:08:13 PM »
that's good to hear, I have been toying around with the stripped down menu for a while.....figured it was a little risky though.
When I nail a good Margherita, there is no one who has complained yet, but of coarse it's hard to be consistent!

Your observations are correct about the temperature. It took me quite a while to figure out that 600F between 2 stones 3" apart
with lots of convection (constantly expelling the steam coming off the top) is really a lot hotter than normal. The shots above were baked
at 540 for a little over 5 min. (I think with no oil) It does speed up the browning quite a bit if you pre oil the crust. No oil (on the rim pre bake) gives it a little earthier look.

Offline derricktung

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2013, 06:35:22 PM »
Beautiful space!  I love the idea!

I think it depends on what your target market is... if you're looking to appeal to the masses, you'll likely need a few ingredients that can rotate based on season or "specials".  If you're looking for the purist, two pies is doable, but only if you have transcendental pies and can build a die hard following.

Mind if I ask what price point you're thinking about setting your marinara and margherita at?  I'm always curious...

Looking forward to more pics!

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2013, 07:18:59 PM »
There are a lot of pizza places around here appealing to the masses, so maybe something special adds to the mix. I agree on the rotating special.
We are going to start with "beta pricing" for a while in this market at about $10.00........ if it is well received we can adjust. We are probably going to have
aged and fresh cheese, maybe pull our own, and try to bump up the flavor a bit with the brine. That will be more money as will the specials depending on what toppings we use.
I like Craig s Marinara idea.......one that's stepped up a few notches with good flavor and fresh herbs.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2013, 08:12:55 PM »
There are a lot of pizza places around here appealing to the masses, so maybe something special adds to the mix. I agree on the rotating special.
We are going to start with "beta pricing" for a while in this market at about $10.00........ if it is well received we can adjust. We are probably going to have
aged and fresh cheese, maybe pull our own, and try to bump up the flavor a bit with the brine. That will be more money as will the specials depending on what toppings we use.
I like Craig s Marinara idea.......one that's stepped up a few notches with good flavor and fresh herbs.

OK Willard, you can stop now with those pictures.......

Too delicious. I could look at them all day. Thanks

John K

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2013, 08:20:21 PM »

$10 sounds like a total steal to me. For what size pie? Then again I don't have a problem paying for good food. I bet you do great.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2013, 08:56:38 PM »
I read somewhere that this guy  http://www.chow.com/food-news/127780/pizza-del-popolo-blows-up-the-food-truck/ did beta pricing kind of low
and had a good launch. People were stalking his truck following him around. But then he does have a very cool setup!

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2013, 09:10:12 PM »
I read somewhere that this guy  http://www.chow.com/food-news/127780/pizza-del-popolo-blows-up-the-food-truck/ did beta pricing kind of low
and had a good launch. People were stalking his truck following him around. But then he does have a very cool setup!

Yeah he got into F+W magazine also. Which your place definitely has the aesthetic of. And the offbeat location of. As a matter of fact the idea of your ovens, the stuff you did with the wild yeast at the mill, and your pies seems like it would be perfect for that rag. You should contact them!!!!

http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/best-new-pizza-places

In fact, isn't that guy the origin of TxCraig's Acunto? I may be mixing my pizza history but I think the Acunto didn't meet some sort of necessary code and therefore it was put into storage, where it lay waiting, like sleeping beauty for its true owner......and master, to arrive.

John K
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 09:17:15 PM by Serpentelli »

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2013, 09:23:30 PM »
flying low under the radar!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2013, 10:02:38 PM »
In fact, isn't that guy the origin of TxCraig's Acunto? I may be mixing my pizza history but I think the Acunto didn't meet some sort of necessary code and therefore it was put into storage, where it lay waiting, like sleeping beauty for its true owner......and master, to arrive.

Yes it is. I don't think the Acunto was the problem with his permit hold up, but in any case, it worked out well as far as I'm concerned.  ;D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2013, 11:18:24 PM »
Yes it is. I don't think the Acunto was the problem with his permit hold up, but in any case, it worked out well as far as I'm concerned.  ;D

This is from the article in which the four of you were referenced:

In case you're not impressed with this tale of perseverance, let us add that the Stefano Ferrara oven that Darsky ultimately installed in his truck wasn't actually his first purchase. He initially bought an Acunto oven, only to discover that the oven didn't have all of the certifications required to ride on board his truck. In a neat little twist, that first oven got purchased by prominent Slice'r TXCraig1, while Darsky moved on to his current set-up.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/06/behind-the-scenes-in-the-epic-del-popolo-pizza-truck.html

John K

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2013, 09:58:43 AM »
Prototype menu board

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2013, 10:03:55 AM »
Prototype menu board

I'll take one of everything! I really like the simplicity in the menu and the whole place for that matter.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2013, 10:24:45 AM »
Loving it! Congrats on this new endeavor!

Il miglior fabbro

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2013, 10:37:08 AM »
Thank you,

I have one big empty wall trying to decide

The Norse horse Sleipnir...The eight legged horse was so fast that it would ride through the fires of hell without getting burned...(imagine that!) Like the pizza in the hot oven....baked but unscathed.

The beginning of the "Pears Mill Yeast Capture". (I will be using it for a mini loaf.....will most likely be using IDY or CY for the pizza.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 10:41:19 AM by 2stone »

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2013, 10:55:55 AM »
Willard,

Love the simplicity of the menu design. It really asks the patrons to just "trust you". And they'll be glad they did!

Even though the millstone photo fits in better from a design perspective, the Sleipnir woodcut is too good to not use! Hopefully you have someone who can give a beautiful rendition. If not it could look goofy, and nothing you do would fit into that category at all!

John K

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2013, 11:04:47 AM »
The copyright has expired, I think it's in the
public domain ......you mean too intense?