Author Topic: Pizza in teglia made with semolina  (Read 1403 times)

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
Pizza in teglia made with semolina
« on: April 03, 2013, 11:23:14 PM »
Both made with semolina, 85% hydration. 20 hr rise with CY.

Marinara and margherita w/ fresh buffalo mozz, grape tomatoes and basil.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Pizza in teglia made with semolina
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 07:15:02 AM »
 Johnny the Gent,

Your pizza in teglia made with semolina looks very tasty.  Do you mind me asking what brand of semolina you use?  I have been on the search for a good semolina flour and can't find a good one in my area.

When you are working with that high of a hydration how do you mix?

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 02:31:17 PM »
Thanks Norma. 

For these pizzas I used a brand available locally here in Brazil  "Renata". That probably didn't help you much.  The packaging states that it is imported, but doesn't state from where. I'm guessing it's Italian.

I've had very good results also using Divella's "Semola Remacinata di grano duro", which I believe is readily available in the US.

This was mixed by hand, incorporating the semolina slowly into the water. Many stretch and fold sessions were used too, over a period of a couple hours.

J
Il miglior fabbro

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 06:25:46 PM »
Yes they look light and airy as should an 85% dough. Nice work
Norma Have you tried the Caputo Semolina ?
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 07:56:57 PM »
Johnny,  nice pies!  I love semolina based crusts and I think they are being overlooked on this website a bit.  I finally found some general mills extra fancy semolina flour,  not the #1 I was using before.  I think its incredible stuff.  Milled nearly as fine as regular flours,  great tooth and crunch when using this stuff.  I may be starting a detroit style thread on frozen 50% bread 50% semolina with vitamin C that has been yielding crazy results.  -Marc

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 08:26:22 PM »
Thanks Norma. 

For these pizzas I used a brand available locally here in Brazil  "Renata". That probably didn't help you much.  The packaging states that it is imported, but doesn't state from where. I'm guessing it's Italian.

I've had very good results also using Divella's "Semola Remacinata di grano duro", which I believe is readily available in the US.

This was mixed by hand, incorporating the semolina slowly into the water. Many stretch and fold sessions were used too, over a period of a couple hours.

J

Johnny the Gent,

Thanks for telling me you had very good results using Divella’s “Semola Remacinata di grano duro”.  I think I got the wrong kind one time I had my daughter purchase that for me in NYC.  I think Matt told me what I got wasn’t right, but really don’t recall much about it. 

Thanks also for telling us how you mixed. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 08:27:34 PM »

Norma Have you tried the Caputo Semolina ?
John

John,

I haven't seen Caputo Semolina anywhere near me.

Norma

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 09:14:29 AM »
Johnny,  nice pies!  I love semolina based crusts and I think they are being overlooked on this website a bit.  I finally found some general mills extra fancy semolina flour,  not the #1 I was using before.  I think its incredible stuff.  Milled nearly as fine as regular flours,  great tooth and crunch when using this stuff.  I may be starting a detroit style thread on frozen 50% bread 50% semolina with vitamin C that has been yielding crazy results.  -Marc

Thanks Marc.  I too enjoy using semolina for pizzas, focaccias and bread.  The GM Extra Fancy Semolina flour you describe reminds me of the semola remacinata di grano duro (Divella) that I've been using - almost as fine as flour, but with a pale straw color.  Great flavor, too.  I look forward to seeing the new thread, should you go forward - the Vitamin C bit sounds interesting.
Il miglior fabbro