Author Topic: Attaching images to posts  (Read 3360 times)

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Attaching images to posts
« on: January 19, 2006, 09:47:35 AM »
I have made some slight changes to the way images can be attached to posts here.

In the past you had several options in order to attach an image. One was to simply use the "Attach" option which uploads the image to this server, and the other ways involved "hot-linking" to an image that was hosted on another site.

Most webmasters frown upon hot-linking because it "steals" bandwidth. By stealing bandwidth, I mean that when the page loads on this forum, the image is actually pulled down from another server on the internet each time the topic is viewed. So, in other words, each time you read a topic which contains a hot-linked image, bandwidth is consumed from the other server when it sends the image to your browser.

In order to be a better net-citizen, I have decided to disallow hot-linking. The only method that this forum now supports is the "Attach" method where you actually upload your image to this server. I have made adjustments to the "Attach" feature to allow more images to be included (up to 8 images can be attached to a single post, each image must be 128 KB or smaller, and all images combined can not be more than 512 KB.)

Thanks for your understanding!

Steve
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 10:04:46 AM by Steve »
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
Re: Attaching images to posts
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 06:38:38 AM »
You know Steve, I have a idea to save you even more bandwidth. On this other fourm I frequent they started getting lots and lots of pictures being uploaded and it started slowing the server down and was not 56k friendly. So what they did is change all the pictures to small "thumbnails" this way when the page loads it uses a lot less bandwidth, and only those interested would "click" the thumbail to see the larger image. :)

Just a thought.

Trin.
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 09:41:10 AM »
This site is lightning fast on my computer

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 10:52:26 AM »
 ::)

Never said PM.C was slow. :)
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 11:32:46 AM »
You know Steve, I have a idea to save you even more bandwidth. On this other fourm I frequent they started getting lots and lots of pictures being uploaded and it started slowing the server down and was not 56k friendly. So what they did is change all the pictures to small "thumbnails" this way when the page loads it uses a lot less bandwidth, and only those interested would "click" the thumbail to see the larger image. :)

Just a thought.

Trin.

The new version of this forum software (which I'll be installing in a few weeks) includes a "thumbnail" option.  ;) :D
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 11:59:38 AM »
::)

Though I think all my pictures should remain large,,, (Like a grandfather thing) :-D

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 01:21:15 PM »
Your a grand father ???

Just kidding.   ;D

I like the thumbnail option.
I'm on too many of these boards