Author Topic: piggybacking on Essen's emergency crust  (Read 698 times)

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
piggybacking on Essen's emergency crust
« on: April 06, 2013, 03:28:02 AM »
I was admiring Mike's emergency crust http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,24197.0.html, and I wondered what would happen if one used a pretty nice portion of sourdough culture in his dough to create some flavor.  So, here is what I did:
My goal was to make two 10 ounce dough balls using 40% by weight of my Ischia culture.  My culture was used two days ago, and so I simply took 8 ounces from my container.  I kinda assumed that my culture was about 120% hydration.  I then did the calculations to make a dough with the following characteristics:
flour 100%         (flour adjusted to account for flour in culture)
water 60            (water adjusted to account for water in culture)
salt       2
oil         2
yeast    .4

I put all the ingredients in my bowl, (the water was very warm), mixed it 1 minute with my paddle attachment......did a quick stretch and fold, and let set for 30 minutes.....did another stretch and fold, and let it set for 30 minutes....did another stretch and fold and let it set for 30 minutes.  I then scaled and balled my dough and let it set for 80 minutes.  Made a pizza and baked at about 600 degrees...this one baked 3 minutes 50 seconds....half of it was absolutely gorgeous, the other half was starting to blacken.

This was a pretty darned good pizza....no doubt about it, the addition of the sourdough culture gave it a ton of flavor, the texture was good, it was crispy on the bottom and oh so soft in the middle.  This pizza is stretched to just under 12 inches and weighs 10 ounces.  The dough was very strong.  The only thing that probably would have improved it, was to let the dough ball sit maybe an hour longer....but I was trying to match Mike's time on his emergency dough.

I don't think I will call this an emergency dough....this is just another way to make great eats in a short time!
John

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: piggybacking on Essen's emergency crust
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 08:38:23 AM »
John,

Of course, you know that your are incorrigible :-D. But I always enjoy the things you decide to test out. This time was no different. You are a credit to the forum despite your addiction ;D.

When I came up with the compilation of emergency dough recipes at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8297.0.html, I somewhat arbitrarily set the outer limit for an emergency dough at 4 hours, even though I suspect that in a commercial setting that might be too much. Your dough fell within the four-hour window, and would have even if you had given the dough another hour. And since you piggybacked Mike's efforts, I will piggyback this thread on Mike's thread in the abovementioned compilation.

Peter

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 02:13:26 PM »
Thank you Peter

John

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 02:53:50 PM »
John Mr. " fazzari"...awesome as always.  8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 07:19:51 PM »
John,

Absolutely excellent work! Hats off to you.   ;D

The pizza looks great and I will give this one definite shot once I get a new Ischia starter in.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 02:44:37 AM »
Well guys
I truly only intended to try and add some flavor in a short amount of time.  It worked very well....but, I still had one more dough ball left from the experiment.  I refrigerated it about an hour after I balled it, and then I reballed it (I can't help myself sometimes) 8 hours prior to bake, and took it out of the fridge 1 hour prior to bake.  So, here are the results.....this dough is almost 24 hours old.  It weighs 10 ounces and was stretched to 11 inches.  It was baked in a 590 degree deck oven.....took 3 minutes and 50 seconds, exactly the same as the original dough I baked at home.  You know the eggshell crust......it's there, and flavor...amazing!!  I'm definitely going to work with this technique some more.

John