Author Topic: Soap stone longevity  (Read 518 times)

Offline Chet

Soap stone longevity
« on: April 04, 2013, 10:30:54 PM »
 Wonder if anyone is experiencing the same as me, but my soapstone is going on about 20-25 pies, and recently I am noticing the stone is not producing a pie as it did when new, is it losing it's thermal mass baking qualities

Chet

Online scott123

Re: Soap stone longevity
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 04:22:54 AM »
Chet, the baking properties of a soapstone slab, unless it breaks, should never change. I've heard lot's of stories about ovens losing power over time. If you're seeing longer bake times, this is what I'd bet is happening. Are you taking temperatures of the pre-heated stone with an IR thermometer?

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 08:56:46 AM »
Chet, I also think that the problem is not due to the stone.  I have used soapstone exclusively for my NY, almost-neapolitan pies and bread for the last several years, and have never noticed a change in performance.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Jpcmason

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 03:47:19 PM »
Chet,  I have always used Mariana soapstone 21/2 inch thick for my masonry oven floors. The stone has maintained it's heat retention properties after up to 15 years of use. I have used 11/2 inch thick Mariana soapstone for heating bases, pizza stones and heat keeping serving bases for main dishes. Hope this helps.

Offline Chet

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 08:37:56 PM »
 thanks foe replys, I will do a check with my IR thermometer, I hope my oven is not failing.

Chet