Author Topic: blackstone redesign  (Read 249 times)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
blackstone redesign
« on: April 14, 2014, 11:08:16 AM »
  hi i want to look at putting a real refractory floor in my blackstone. i would like ideas on different ways this can be done. i was thinking of having the floor at burner height, putting a 1/2inch thick refractory wall on the inside of the metal shell, and putting on a refractory dome that is shaped like a wood oven so the flame travels across the top. if i can get 16 inches of cooking space front to back i think it may work. i have a floor that is as far as i have gotten.any thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
Re: blackstone redesign
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 02:09:42 PM »
With the bottom closed off except for the area where the burner fits, would there be enough air to feed the burner? With all the insulation you have on top and the outer edge of the rotating stone close to the "dome", there doesn't seem like there would be enough "area" for air to be pulled in. I'm not a rocket scientist by any means, just a curious pizza maker! Ha ha ha!

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 04:49:42 PM »
 Jim, i would remove everything, put 1/2 inch of refractory cement on the inside and do a new roof of refractory cement which would be arched to pull the flame across the top.

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 05:39:29 PM »
I understand you are creating a new dome to replace the shield and top stone. How much space will there be between the rotating table and the dome? Less or more than what is there now? I was worried that there would not be enough air to FEED the flame with everything "buttoned up" so to speak, but then remembered photos of brick WFOs that have the gas option. I started to think your idea would work, but then realized the outlet for the burner on those ovens is positioned on the floor of the oven with the whole inside of the oven providing the air to feed the flame. Your flame will be under the turntable with only the opening for air being the open space on the floor surrounding the burner and and what is available between the table and the dome. Would you have a fixed height for your table then, or would your dome be positioned at a point where the table could be adjusted slightly up or down. I'm just worried that your burner will be located in a little "cave" under the table without enough open space to allow air to be drawn in to feed the flame. Don't get me wrong, I think this is a cool project and want it to work for I see it as a future "All Season Blackstone" next winter here in Chicago. Take care!

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 10:42:21 PM »
What i want to do is use the insert that goes on.the inside of the blackstone to mold my inner oven wall.it will then sit on my new floor

pizzapan