Author Topic: Yeast  (Read 709 times)

Online Polo1523

Yeast
« on: July 26, 2013, 11:32:26 AM »
Question when the weather is hotter do you go down on the yeast? I noticed on my cold fermented doughs that they react more in this weather even if they're on the fridge, can you give some advise, I use .25% IDY for my recipe,
Regards Leo.

Offline jeffereynelson

Re: Yeast
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 01:16:33 PM »
I haven't noticed them to really react more in the fridge because my fridge stays the same temp regardless of outside temp. But go ahead and adjust your yeast %. I mess with mine all the time depending on tons of variables.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 01:23:26 PM »
Question when the weather is hotter do you go down on the yeast? I noticed on my cold fermented doughs that they react more in this weather even if they're on the fridge, can you give some advise, I use .25% IDY for my recipe,
Wouldn't be surprised if your frig is a little warmer now than in the cooler months Polo.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online Polo1523

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 02:07:03 PM »
Probably a little warmer, I got a new fridge for the pizza selling and its outside in my backyard, but Im just trying to understand and get knowledge, when anyone says that depending on the weather you should be able to adjust the recipe is this regarding to the yeast or hydration? not sure I understand.
Maybe a dumb question but I'm really trying to learn more.
Regards Leo.

Online Polo1523

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 02:08:59 PM »
The % of yeast is based on the days you would like to ferment your dough?  or how is yeast calculated for a recipe.
Regards Leo.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 03:12:11 PM »
Probably a little warmer,

I use a fridge/freezer thermometer to monitor my fridge temp. In warm weather with the fridge outside you definitely will use more power to keep it cold. I suggest wrapping the fridge in a hot water heater blanket or two. Don't cover any vents!

I decrease my yeast the longer I ferment . Trial and error or based on what I have learned here.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 03:18:12 PM »
You can change your water and your yeast based on the weather. There is really no answer to how much exactly it should it be. I wish there was a simple formula, but you have to understand that water temp, yeast amount, air temp, bulk temp, fridge temp, final rise temp, humidity, mixing time, etc etc all play a factor and prevent an exact formula that can be used by everyone. Each person kind of has to discover theirs for their area, workflow, and conditions.

The % of yeast is based on the days you would like to ferment your dough?  or how is yeast calculated for a recipe.

In general, all things being equal, you use less yeast for a longer ferment. But a 24 hour room temp ferment may have less yeast than a 3 day cold ferment.

I know there is really no answer in my post, and for that I'm sorry. What do you specifically want to do? Maybe then I can give you a more specific answer.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 05:13:10 PM »
Polo,

When it is hotter I do go down in the yeast percentage, even if I have a normal final dough temperature. I found my dough balls ferment too much (only 1 day cold ferment) if I keep the yeast percentage the same in warmer weather.  Also where I make my doughs in the summer is much hotter too, so until I cut, scale, ball and then oil the dough balls they are in a much hotter environment.

I fooled around until I found what yeast percentage worked best for my situation. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online Polo1523

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 05:26:33 PM »
Interesting useful information, the reason I am asking it's because my last batch I noticed that my dough balls grew so much in the fridge, I don't have a comercial fridge so my space is limited and I am making 25-28 balls plus the ingredients, so as of now I use ziploc bags to store the dough, so it is painful that they grow much and just want to make my dough the best way possible, but everyone opened my eyes and definitely I will start making some tests so I can get where I want, still the dough is working outstanding in the wood oven.

Regards Leo.