Author Topic: Why do they hate us over at Slice?  (Read 1632 times)

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Why do they hate us over at Slice?
« on: April 06, 2013, 08:59:16 PM »
I've seen plenty of comments over there saying we are difficult and nothing is up to our standards?

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Why do they hate us over at Slice?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 09:26:04 PM »
Because it's true?  :-D I am difficult and the pizza better meet my expectations or else everyone gets a caning.  And I mean everyone!!  :-D

Offline Marvin

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 09:27:31 PM »
They review we inspire!
Marvo

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 10:03:09 PM »
I've seen plenty of comments over there saying we are difficult and nothing is up to our standards?

Nate

There is another pizza website? 
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 12:09:16 AM »
People will always mock what they don't understand. :'(

Offline scott123

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 03:56:22 AM »
Nate, in order to have a 'they' and an 'us,' there has to be an 'us' and a 'them.' You're creating a demarcation that ignores the fact that there's a huge overlap between the slice community and the PM community. Many slice commenters are PM members. I comment on Slice. Do I hate myself?  ;D These are two separate websites, but, for the most part, it's a single pizza community.

There have been, in recent years, two topics that generated a certain amount of contention between one or two people who tend to stick mostly to posting on slice and a similarly small number of members who mostly post here. Here's one instance:

1. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21814.0.html
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/10/first-look-brooklyn-central-park-slope.html

And here's another:

2. http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/06/daily-slice-purple-pig-from-the-rolling-stonebaker-beverly-shores-indiana.html?
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19414.0.html

This is the only time I've ever seen anything bordering on an 'us' vs. 'them' mentality, and, within the general scheme of things, it's all pretty inconsequential. Also, if you really look closely at it, the majority of hostility being expressed is directed towards me. I've gained a handful of very vocal detractors by questioning some of the statements Kenji has made.  My issues with Kenji's fanboys, though, have nothing to do with the PM/Slice relationship.

Bottom line, it's a family. At times, it can be pretty dysfunctional- and one or two of it's members could use a time out, but, it's still a family, united by a common love for pizza.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 04:04:43 AM by scott123 »

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 06:27:35 AM »
Just to add to what Scott has said, SLICE featured many of the regulars here on Pizzamaking in their "Pizza Obsessives" interviews over the years, and in many cases these people weren't even active participants on SLICE. Adam Kuban, who started and ran SLICE for many years, saw their comments here and was impressed enough to invite them to do the SLICE interviews. We are all PIZZA lovers, not PIZZA competitors.

Offline derricktung

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 07:48:36 AM »
I'd have to agree with scott and dmc.  I've been trolling both sites for a long time (and more recently became members of both) and I haven't seen much "hate" between the two groups. 

There's definitely an "expertise" level that's different in both groups, as most Slice readers tend to be folks who are just looking to getting into making pies, or just want to find out whether the new pizza place nearby is any good.  PizzaMaking tends to be much more "obsessive"  about MAKING pies, and is a big step from beginners.  (Even though we're beginner friendly, there's definitely a lot to learn at once if you're starting at PM instead of Slice!)

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 12:34:36 PM »
I have what I like to think are very good relationships with many folks over at Slice.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline BenLee

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 09:23:05 PM »
I'm not sure because I don't really keep track of the specific names at Slice, but I have noticed that Kenji doesn't like anyone inputting any information on his threads that would indicate that you might know more than him.  As someone with multiple degrees in science who teaches it for a living, I kind of got amused when he tried to justify the baking steel on thermal conductivity alone.  When I tried explaining that stones are more effective at a higher temperature because heat transfer is proportional to temperature gradient, he tried shooting me down.  But yeah, it's kinda hard to correct him when you have 25 Slice posters worshiping him.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 09:29:37 PM »
WHO ARE THOSE GUYS ???
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 10:47:48 PM »
They are taking baby steps... They are not here.... They are there......  Apples/Oranges. :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline dhorst

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 04:19:02 AM »
It's a different audience and Slice is growing and evolving and I miss Adam.  He's up to wonderful things though and I wish him the best.

I was made fun of my dough recipe for an interview there.  That was fine, it was supposed to be one of those if you need some pizza dough quick, then here it is kind of thing.  It's a quicky, but better at home than some of the local joints around here. One good for a working mother/father who all the sudden said," Yeah, we can have pizza tonight-- it'll be a couple of hours, but it'll be pretty good.  Go clean your rooms." 

I hate snobbery and exclusion when it comes to food.  I love high end/hard to find ingredients, but you can make great food with very little.  Quite often people don't have the time, money or availabilty to ingredients to make the ideal dish.  One of my big things is welcome people who are interested, don't intimidate.  There is a learning curve for everyone and the day I stop learning...

Well, let's just say that I'm happy that this forum exists and that I'm happy to be learning, but without Slice and MPM (shamefully I haven't contributed to in some time) I may not have discovered this place for quite some time!

Offline Pizzamaster

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 05:21:23 AM »
Because it's true?  :-D I am difficult and the pizza better meet my expectations or else everyone gets a caning.  And I mean everyone!!  :-D

I dunno what slice is but you are definitely right with the expectation thing.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 06:27:04 AM »

Yes but at least we can laugh about it.   There's nothing wrong with high expectations.   That is how we improve. .. if we want to that is.   ;D

Dhorst, I am glad you came here.   Didn't you bring the secret sauce recipe here? I love that stuff!  I also agree with you about being a busy parent and good food doesn't have to be expensive.   Some of the best things in life are the simplest.

Chau
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 06:30:43 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline dhorst

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 06:29:33 AM »

http://slice.seriouseats.com/
Loved them much more when Adam, the founder, was there.

Offline scott123

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 02:53:51 PM »
But yeah, it's kinda hard to correct him when you have 25 Slice posters worshiping him.

Ben, it's great to see you posting here. I've really enjoyed your comments on Slice and look forward to talking pizza with you in a friendlier setting  :)

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 03:12:24 PM »
I was a very active participant and huge fan of SLICE when Adam ran the show, made a lot of friends (@dhorst among them) and enjoyed the banter that took place. When Adam left the whole vibe just changed, I rarely even take a look anymore. There is a big crossover from here on the My Pie Monday, but that's about the only common ground now.

Offline dhorst

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »
Yes but at least we can laugh about it.   There's nothing wrong with high expectations.   That is how we improve. .. if we want to that is.   ;D

Dhorst, I am glad you came here.   Didn't you bring the secret sauce recipe here? I love that stuff!  I also agree with you about being a busy parent and good food doesn't have to be expensive.   Some of the best things in life are the simplest.

Chau

Glad to be here.  That sauce is addicting.  My younger son has been nagging me to make another batch.  The neighbors and my husband's co-workers wouldn' object either. 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 07:33:13 PM »
Because it's true?  :-D I am difficult and the pizza better meet my expectations or else everyone gets a caning. And I mean everyone!! :-D
Please Chau...tell us how you really feel man.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"