Author Topic: New pizza show coming on the Food Channel  (Read 3363 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: New pizza show coming on the Food Channel
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2013, 07:37:48 PM »
I see that Jonas has made his presence known over at the Cooking Channel website: http://blog.cookingchanneltv.com/2013/04/26/how-to-make-new-york-style-pizza-at-home/ .

It will be interesting to see if there is a reaction by the folks behind the new pizza series to his well crafted comments.

Peter

Online jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2013, 07:47:16 PM »
Coming from you I'll take that as very high praise.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2013, 08:19:16 PM »
Jonas,

You did your homework and a workmanlike job and, in the process, you took them to the woodshed.

They were also sloppy in not telling anyone what kind of dry yeast is used and the temperature of the water. Maybe they figure that with one tablespoon of yeast it won't matter what kind of dry yeast (ADY or IDY) is used.

Most recipes directed to home cooks or bakers do not indicate how to measure out ingredients like flour and water. You mentioned the Textbook method of flour measurement, which is the method recommended by flour millers (since 1978 by General Mills), but over the years I have concluded that most people measure out flour by the Medium method of flour measurement and dip their measuring cups into the flour bag or storage container. Using that method would change the baker's percents and thickness factor but not by enough to matter.

Peter

scott123

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2013, 08:24:43 PM »
Jonas, while I applaud your initiative to correct the misconceptions put forth in the recipe, I wouldn't hold your breath for an answer. I don't have hard proof of this, but, rumor has it, that, when you reach a certain level of fame, publishers hire test kitchen help to develop your recipe(s) for public consumption and remove you from the equation.  I'm 99.99999% certain that Reinhart had 'help' on his recipes.  I mean, come on, 14 oz. of water added to 28 oz. of tomatoes?

In other words, not only did someone else write this recipe (probably from Artichoke's bulk recipe with errors in the conversion), but the odds that either of the cousins ever replying are infinitesimally small.  I don't follow the twittersphere all the closely, but I do follow just about everywhere else, and they have nothing in the way of an online presence.

Btw, I think the Al Santillo that's commenting is most likely this gentleman:

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/04/santillos-brick-oven-pizza-a-time-machine-in-elizabeth-new-jersey.html

Regardless of whatever feedback occurs, if we could get Al to start chiming in here, that would be a welcome outcome to your conversation.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2013, 08:35:49 PM »
Jonas,

You did your homework and a workmanlike job and, in the process, you took them to the woodshed.

[/quote]Great job Jonas....it turned into a ghost town real quick once you started spit'in the venom!  :-D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline BenLee

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2013, 07:44:34 PM »
Bill,

If I get to go to visit Papa's over the weekend I will see what I can find out about the mustard pie.

Norma

I used to go to Delorenzo's in Trenton all the time.  We would always pass Papa's on the way there.  I stopped going because the violence in Trenton is just too much.  My wife and I only go to Delorenzo's in Robbinsville now.  Never actually went to Papa's but most of the old school Trenton joints are fantastic.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2013, 09:51:02 PM »
I used to go to Delorenzo's in Trenton all the time.  We would always pass Papa's on the way there.  I stopped going because the violence in Trenton is just too much.  My wife and I only go to Delorenzo's in Robbinsville now.  Never actually went to Papa's but most of the old school Trenton joints are fantastic.

BenLee,

I did go to Papa's and had some other tomato pies at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25251.0.html

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

pizzapan