Author Topic: Its poured!  (Read 3192 times)

Offline z-man

Its poured!
« on: April 06, 2013, 10:14:25 PM »
Ahh now this one tastes good!!! Finally, just got the pour done today and feel like I just conquered Mount Everest. Next stop (after some good rest) is the 950B on top.

Offline csafranek

Re: Its poured!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 12:21:14 PM »
That looks great!

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 08:48:54 PM »
Good for you, Zack.  I'll have to meet my oven's brother someday  :-D

Offline ForrestM

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »
Congrats!  Won't be long now.

Offline wsonner

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 12:06:01 PM »
Are you using a design you can share? I looked through previous posts but didn't see anything.

Wes
p.s. I am an east coaster now but I grew up in San Jose, your neck of the woods :-).

Offline z-man

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 01:38:18 PM »
Let me know what you are looking for regarding the design. I just made it up myself going off the research I did on other builds I saw on this site. I am more than happy to pass on any information that can help you. I would not have been able to even come close to building mine without the help of the many great people on this site who helped me! Planning on installing the oven this weekend and will try to take some more photos along the way.

If you ever make it back to San Jose in the near future you can come over and take a look. That is if I ever finish this thing.....

Offline wsonner

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 03:13:50 PM »
Let me know what you are looking for regarding the design. I just made it up myself going off the research I did on other builds I saw on this site. I am more than happy to pass on any information that can help you. I would not have been able to even come close to building mine without the help of the many great people on this site who helped me! Planning on installing the oven this weekend and will try to take some more photos along the way.

If you ever make it back to San Jose in the near future you can come over and take a look. That is if I ever finish this thing.....

Well, it looks like you used cinder blocks which is something I think I can handle a lot easier than bricks and mortar.  That was what made me ask.  How did you prepare the platform for the cement? 

Be careful what you offer. My daughter lives in Campbell and goes to Prospect High School...so I get there as often as possible :-). 

Offline z-man

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 01:53:58 PM »
Well, it looks like you used cinder blocks which is something I think I can handle a lot easier than bricks and mortar.  That was what made me ask.  How did you prepare the platform for the cement? 

Be careful what you offer. My daughter lives in Campbell and goes to Prospect High School...so I get there as often as possible :-). 

I just went with the standard design as I was looking for more of a square look for the area anyway (http://www.fornobravo.com/PDF/residential_install.pdf). FYI, those cinder blocks are heavy after awhile and unless you do this for a living (which I don't) and young (which I am not) you will be tapping/resetting/double checking them quite a bit as you go. I felt like I started to get it down just about when we finished ;D. In hindsight, I think you might be able to almost get away with a somewhat dry stack using just some mortar to level as you go. The base is really turns solid after pouring concrete down the blocks. Here are a few pictures. FYI, the table had to hang a little off the back as you see in the photos (for a looooong reason I don't want to bore you with as every build seems to have at least 1 obstacle to overcome) but in a normal build this wouldn't be needed and could just be framed entirely with blocks. The best decision was calling in a cement truck to pump the concrete as the idea of mixing over 100 bags of concrete for my build wasen't even an option.

Offline wsonner

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 03:27:29 PM »
Boy, I guess it's there for good eh?  ;D

Offline z-man

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 01:06:25 PM »
Finally got a little more work done this weekend. Managed to get the insulation on and set the tiles. I purchased my FGM 950 from Gerard who lives only a couple minutes away from me and was his last 950B in stock. He also has helped me with the install throughout the project and has been a godsend. I was originally going to purchase my oven from Antoine (who I have nothing but good things to say about). Antoine helped me in the early stages and was always quick to respond and can confirm his reputation as providing great customer service. I want to thank him for all his help with my initial design and questions.

As for the oven, this has been sitting in Gerards storage for upwards of 5-10 years. I believe it is indeed the brother to Robyns oven  :P. That being said, I did experience the same tile issues as Robyn during the install. Setting these in sand took me almost a full day and was an exhaustive process of setting, resetting, leveling. Also at the end had to cut some tiles as even doing a dry set they didn't fit. I did look at the tiles beforehand and they all looked ok but never tried setting them in the base. All of these tile issues I believe have been fixed with the recent ovens through Antoine and might have just been an issue with older 950's as I did see a couple of the older 800's he had and all those tiles looked fine. It wasen't a real big deal resetting the tiles just was hoping it wasent going to take so long.....

As I said, we did get the oven put together and the insulation on. It was real nice to have Gerard there as he seemed to have a little trick here and there that I probably would have missed. Having an extra set of hands was sure nice and thanks Gerard for all your help! Hoping to get the burn in done in the next week or so..... 

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 05:01:11 PM »
Looking great!!  Amazing how much more straightforward an outdoor installation is...  Nice to see that 950B in such a lovely setting.  I'm very happy you got the floor resolved, I know that was really worrying you.  Congrats on a great install.  Can't wait to see you cooking!

Offline z-man

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 01:32:16 PM »
Well finally was able to get some work done over the holiday weekend and finish (for the most part) my build. I dont know who was happier for me to be done me or my wife  :-D... Anyway, I learned so much building this as I have no prior experience. Thank god for friends with tools and all the help from many of you along the way. We celebrated by heading to SF for what else to go get some pies. Had the pleasure of meeting Tony and he offered some great advice and was no nice to spend so much time with me. The neo pizzas he makes there gives me something to shoot for! The star of the show was the honey pie....

Offline csafranek

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 02:10:52 PM »
That is freaking awesome! I'm ready to see pic of that oven in action and some pizzas!

Offline dhorst

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 02:40:53 PM »
Sweet!  I must say I'm envious.

Offline altheg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 04:37:14 PM »
Hi z-man, I'm in the process of installing my 950C raised (next door to you in Almaden Valley).  Can you provide some details on your enclosure and chimney?  I assume your enclosure in steel beam frame and backerboard for the stone facing? and what is yout roofing material? 

Also I am curious about your chimney pipe size and brand, and did you use an adapter to mate to the flue connector?  It almost looks like the chimney pipe overlaps the flue connector.

thanks

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2013, 05:31:50 PM »
That looks wonderful, Z!!  Are you done curing and into cooking yet?  Did you find ingredients?  I was actually up at Tony's this weekend, also - hit there Saturday afternoon for a late lunch.  Place was hopping  ;D

Congrat's on a gorgeous build, it really looks great!

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2013, 06:40:13 PM »
Sweet!  I must say I'm envious.

+1
Deb

Offline z-man

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 11:48:53 PM »
Hi z-man, I'm in the process of installing my 950C raised (next door to you in Almaden Valley).  Can you provide some details on your enclosure and chimney?  I assume your enclosure in steel beam frame and backerboard for the stone facing? and what is yout roofing material? 

Also I am curious about your chimney pipe size and brand, and did you use an adapter to mate to the flue connector?  It almost looks like the chimney pipe overlaps the flue connector.

thanks

You got it steel framing and wonderboard. The roof is corrugated steel (which was actually really hard to find) and after searching high and low found some in Morgan Hill. Got the studs at place in Santa Clara after stopping at every HD and Lowes within 30 miles proved useless.

Went with 6ft of pipe as 3 just wasen't enough and still had smoke coming out the front. Now it vents like a dream. They were Duravent pipes and cap and fit perfect with no tools really needed. The pipe boot had to find online as stops around town again proved useless.

Let me know if you need anymore help I am not a professional but surely can pass on a few tips that might save you some of the struggles I went through. This site helped me a ton and now my journey is finally onto making pizza!! With you and Robyn so close we gotta have a pizza party....

Offline z-man

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 11:55:33 PM »
That looks wonderful, Z!!  Are you done curing and into cooking yet?  Did you find ingredients?  I was actually up at Tony's this weekend, also - hit there Saturday afternoon for a late lunch.  Place was hopping  ;D

Congrat's on a gorgeous build, it really looks great!

Thanks Robyn and that means a lot coming from your build! I am still in search of some good mozz (not the first time that has been posted here I am sure). I have stopped high and low and its all the same stuff. Would love advice on where to find some tried to hint at Tony for some but no dice (you must have a special place in his heart :-P).

Cheers

Offline altheg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2013, 04:31:50 PM »
You got it steel framing and wonderboard. The roof is corrugated steel (which was actually really hard to find) and after searching high and low found some in Morgan Hill. Got the studs at place in Santa Clara after stopping at every HD and Lowes within 30 miles proved useless.

Went with 6ft of pipe as 3 just wasen't enough and still had smoke coming out the front. Now it vents like a dream. They were Duravent pipes and cap and fit perfect with no tools really needed. The pipe boot had to find online as stops around town again proved useless.

Let me know if you need anymore help I am not a professional but surely can pass on a few tips that might save you some of the struggles I went through. This site helped me a ton and now my journey is finally onto making pizza!! With you and Robyn so close we gotta have a pizza party....

Thanks for the info.  I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out the proper stove adapter (your pipe boot) to transition from 8" stove pipe to double wall duravent. Do you remember what this part was and where you got it?