Author Topic: How do YOU estimate and plan for gatherings?  (Read 579 times)

Offline f.montoya

How do YOU estimate and plan for gatherings?
« on: April 09, 2013, 09:56:45 AM »
Just wanted to ask how many pies (let's say 27cm) would you plan on making to feed 22 guests, 10 adults and 12 kids from ages 4 thru 11, for a Sunday afternoon pizza party? I ALWAYS overestimate. My thinking is to never be caught without enough, and I actually have fun making them so who cares if I end up sending my guests home with both hands full! But I think my over-estimations may be a little overboard as I had a party for my school kids(I run an English conversation school) and their parents last month. 49 guests(22 adults and 27 kids) finished off only 36 pies, seemingly lining up again and again grabbing slices, as I and my brother in-law pumped them out two at a time(average 50 second bake on all of them). I prepared 70 doughballs!! So I had 33 left as one fell on the ground. :P

Anyway, what's your rule of thumb for estimating the number of pies for guests? And can you share any of your experiences? So far my over-estimations have brought my pie making total to 270 since this last November. Probably will hit 300 by the end of this Sunday's party.

Offline Mangia Pizza

• Lifetime Member
Re: How do YOU estimate and plan for gatherings?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 07:39:04 AM »
I am no expert by any stretch of imagination, but I think calculating one pizza (12inch) per adult and 1/2 pizza per child should be more than enough to satisfy any party event.
Of course, if any leftover pies, the guests would be more than happy to take one home.
While you are at it, post some more pics of your pies too.......:D
Paolo

Offline derricktung

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 07:46:37 AM »
Currently, I've been planning 1 to 1.5 pie per person.  I use 7 oz of dough, stretched to 10 inches.  When I start catering, my plan will be 1.5 per person, and I'll tune it up or down based on the customer's preference, and charge accordingly.

At some parties where I know the eaters are into food and will try everything (and eat well), I plan for 2 a person.

Your typically not as obsessed will tend to eat around 1 to 1.5 per person.

Your child, or elderly adult eat's about 0.5 per person. 

Sounds like business is going well!  Congratulations!!!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 08:26:45 AM »
I typically make 13" pies with 275g of dough. That's pretty big pie. When I have guests, unless I know someone won't eat much,  I generally make 1 pie per person over 8 years old, 0.5 per young kid (4-8), nothing for anyone under 4 plus 1 or 2 extra pies for every 8 people based on how much I know they will eat. If I'm serving a lot of appetizers or a big salad, I might not make extra pies. I have one group of friends that eats 2 per person, but that is an exception. There is rarely a time when 1 per person wouldn't be enough or (if your honest about it) too much.

You just want to feed them, not fatten them up. Homemade pizza is often so good that people will gorge themselves. I also think that some folks feel an obligation to eat as long as you are cooking and will eat more than they may really want to eat - particularly if they are drinking. Just because someone might be able to eat another slice when your out of dough is not necessarily a bad thing. I'd rather serve some light appetizers and target 1 pie per person and run out just as everyone is full even if they don't quite know it yet. And there is always something for desert after the pies.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 02:32:52 PM »
I always have a problem because everybody wants to take some home. In fact I've had people ask me for whole pies and ask me to make a few extra for them to take home. I finally bought boxes to have on hand because several people told me that was the best part of coming for pizza at my house, taking it home and having it for leftovers!  So I always make too much...  but we like leftovers too  :P