Author Topic: Towel on the peel  (Read 1134 times)

Offline spazster

Towel on the peel
« on: April 09, 2013, 01:22:57 PM »
I recently found out what the super peel is and I thought I could do the same thing by pulling a towel out from underneath a regular peel. I made a pizza recently and transferred it to the oven using this method and it went fairly well. It was still a little distorted because of poor targeting and I was trying to get a 16 inch round pizza on a 16X16 plate of steel so there wasn't much room for error.  I was paying too much attention to front and back and I forgot about the left and right part and it spilled over a little to the side.  It was still the best success I've ever had at transferring a pizza without a screen and I think next time I'll do a lot better.  I've had more problems before getting a 12 inch onto the 16X16 plate.

So, does anyone else employ this method?

Offline slybarman

Re: Towel on the peel
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 02:43:56 PM »
I am having a hard time picturing what you did with the towel.

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 03:00:10 PM »
I believe the cloth on a SuperPeel acts as a conveyor, whereas you are trying to tremove the towel in an opposite direction. My advice, flour you're peel well and practice with just a good wooden peel. After you lay your dough out on the peel, give it a quick shake to be sure it's not sticking. Do the same thing after you sauce the dough, and again after applying the cheese. If more topping are going on, repeat the quick shake after each addition. Shake the dough to be sure it's free, just before you launch it into the oven. Practice, the towel is just a hinderance.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline spazster

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 03:53:47 PM »
I believe the cloth on a SuperPeel acts as a conveyor, whereas you are trying to tremove the towel in an opposite direction. My advice, flour you're peel well and practice with just a good wooden peel. After you lay your dough out on the peel, give it a quick shake to be sure it's not sticking. Do the same thing after you sauce the dough, and again after applying the cheese. If more topping are going on, repeat the quick shake after each addition. Shake the dough to be sure it's free, just before you launch it into the oven. Practice, the towel is just a hinderance.

I'm moving in the same direction as the super peel.  I wedge the peel in-between the towel and I pull the towel out from underneath the peel.  It moves the pizza onto the plate pretty easily.  I just got to work on my aim a little.

Offline derricktung

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 03:55:16 PM »
 ^^^

While the methods of using a towel, parchment paper, or other methods may seem to make it easier, the key is having enough flour on the bottom to allow for sliding.  Depending on the crust and type of pizza, you can use flour, corn meal, or semolina, all which will give you the ability to load the pizza more easily.

It takes a few pizzas to get the practice down, but Dmcavanagh has got the best advice.  Just practice... the towel will ultimately slow you down.

Offline patnugent

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 03:58:33 PM »
I can launch pies without parchment paper without an issue, but I still tend to use it.  We only do pizza once a week, I don't want the rare bad launch ruining my pizza night!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 06:49:31 PM »
I rub a 'lil semolina onto my wood peel and then get that thing made....just before going to the oven I "bump" the peel against the counter backsplash. Works great.
It does not take long to know how much dusting agent to use.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline slybarman

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 08:13:13 PM »
I mostly blow air under the skin, but I will try the "bump" next time.

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 02:17:03 AM »
I haven't tried Semolina yet, but I've used white rice flour, which works very well and is only needed in very small amounts, doesn't cake up like flour.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 09:19:14 AM »
People describe semolina as little ball bearings under the pie.  I have found that to be pretty accurate.

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 09:49:18 AM »
I've found rice flour to be much the same, and it leaves little to no residue in my experience.