Author Topic: Clams  (Read 1752 times)

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
Clams
« on: January 20, 2006, 03:42:31 PM »
Several legendary pizza places (Pepe's and Sally's in New Haven, DeLorenzo in Trenton, Lombardi's in NYC, etc.) are famous for their white clam pizzas.  I understand they use fresh (rather than canned or previously-shucked) clams. 

If so, are they shucked and put on the pie raw before baking?  Or are the clams pre-cooked at all, if so are they steamed in the shell or shucked and sauteed?

I've had the version from Pepe's, it was amazing.  Does anyone know what else goes on the pie?  I'd guess garlic, EVOO, parmesan...

Thanks for any insight!

---Guy
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 04:55:26 PM by PizzaBrewer »
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Clams
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 03:14:15 AM »
Guy, I am pretty sure these places are all shucking the clams, then putting them on the pie raw, not pre cooked.

I know pepe's is using Romano, not Parmesan, but otherwise I think you are right on the ingredients.

Sally's uses a second mystery liquid that does not really look like oil to me.  It almost looks like water???? This is put on in addition to the oil/clams/garlic/Romano.  They also toss on two other dry ingredients that I am pretty sure are salt and pepper. 

Good luck with the pies!

Offline jimd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Clams
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 03:15:47 PM »
I make a really simple Clam Pizza that has become the favorite of my family, and proceed as follows:

1.  Shuck fresh clams (smaller clams tend to be more tender, and this is what I try and use), reserving the clam juice.

2.  Strain clam juice and add a few tablespoons of olive oil (measurements are not really that important, in my experience, but I would guess there are two parts clam juice to one part oil).

3.  Slice garlic into thin slices and add to oil/juice mix.

4.  Put clams on pizza (I do not chop them), followed by the oil/juice/garlic mix. If you like spicey food, sprinkle red pepper flakes on pizza as well. I then grate some grana padana or parmesian-reggiano over the pizza.

5. You need to work pretty fast after step 4 to get the pizza in the oven, as the oil/juice mix is pretty wet, and you do not want it to make your dough soggy.

There are probably many variations on this simple theme, but the taste of this pizza is pure, simple and delicious. Good luck.

Jim

pizzapan