Author Topic: Overnight in Boston this Sunday! Any pizzerias there?  (Read 1734 times)

Offline CopperTop

• La cucina e per passione
    • Confessions of a Pizza Stalker
Overnight in Boston this Sunday! Any pizzerias there?
« on: April 09, 2013, 09:37:33 PM »
Heading out to Maine to the Stone Turtle Baking School for a couple of days...

Will be in Boston area on Sunday (Back Bay Station area) ...any favorite pizzerias in the area ?!  Need to use my free time finding a place to stay less than $400!  Didn't realize how expensive the city is.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
Re: Overnight in Boston this Sunday! Any pizzerias there?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 09:58:24 PM »
Heading out to Maine to the Stone Turtle Baking School for a couple of days...

Will be in Boston area on Sunday (Back Bay Station area) ...any favorite pizzerias in the area ?! 

Yes, Boston is an expensive city to stay in!  In the Back Bay area I really enjoyed Upper Crust Pizza.

If you can get over to the North End, Regina's is pretty good.  Make sure you go to the original Regina's in the North End as opposed to the many other locations. 

Have a great trip!  Boston is a really great town, even if the hotels are expensive. 

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 10:43:55 PM »
Pretty sure they are running the Boston Marathon on Monday the 15th. Hotels in the Back Bay will be extra pricey and extra full this weekend. You might be able to find something a little cheaper in Cambridge.

No pizza, but I have had several nice meals at a place called Gennaro's in the North End. It's just up the street from the Paul Revere House.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 11:32:49 PM »
Have you used Hotwire before? I have had nothing but good luck with it. Just used it this last weekend. I quickly searched boston and they have a fourstar for 291 a night. A lot less than 400.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 11:58:43 PM »
Are you going to be here for the full day or just a couple hours. You wouldn't be to far away from Santarpio's near Logan, but Sunday is there uber busy day. http://www.santarpiospizza.com/Contact.html. You'll have to order a whole pizza here though, its not a slice place. They aren't too big though, you could easily put one down if you were hungry or in the mood.

Like Tinroof said, theirs Regina's in the North End, traditional NY style. http://www.reginapizzeria.com/location_detail.php?location_id=38&Brick%20Oven%20Pizza%20-%20North%20End%20-%20The%20Original%20-%20Boston%20-%20Boston

There is also Pinochio's in Havard Square which has great Sicilian slices. http://pinocchiospizza.net/

If you wanted to make the trek to Newton, which isn't that far away theres Max and Leo's which is Coal oven pizza. http://maxandleos.com/ Also no a slice place but again whole pizzas aren't that big. I think the biggest was a 14", they also have a 12". I've heard their wings are really good as well. Only thing is you might have to call for a cab back to the train station because there wont be any driving around there.

Don't bother going to Upper Crust they've been garbage for years now and have shady business practices. Those first 3 are about a 10 minute drive from the train station Max and Leo's will ab about 15 minutes or so depending on how much traffic there is. Seems long but really isn't, it's mostly because of traffic lights. Those pretty much cover the full spectrum of styles and whats good around here.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 12:35:52 PM »
Let me tell you: Don't fly into Boston without going to Santarpio's.

The pizza is unlike any other I've ever had, but more importantly, the history, the feel, and the place make it a worthwhile stop.

For instance, when you walk in the front door, there's the bar. But behind the bar, there's a guy grilling lamb, beef, and sausage skewers. Hello???? :chef: They serve these on a small oval plate with a hunk of great italian bread and one or two pickled cherry peppers. Oh jeez!

Then the waiter asks if you need a menu, and you feel like a total loser if you say yes! Make sure you order the sausage and onion. And get a pie to go. No boxes here --- it comes out to you in a paper bag! OLD SCHOOL!!!

I'm not saying its the best pie in the world, but it is unique and a real "comfort food" for me whenever I'm flying in/out of Logan. To that point --- assuming that you are flying in/out of Logan its best/easiest to get there on your way back to the airport. As soon as you get out of the tunnel, just bear right and it'll be right in front of you. If you are dying to get there as soon as you get off the plane just make sure that you stay to the right before you get into the tunnel going into Boston. Then you keep going left, around into winding, kooky Boston neighborhoods until you find it (Use GPS!!!)

Definitely go!

John K
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 12:37:44 PM by Serpentelli »
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline dineomite

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 10:31:07 PM »
+1 on damn near everything Serpentelli said. Don't go expecting the most mind blowing pizza you've ever had. Go with an open mind and take it all in. If eating alone grab a seat at the bar near the pit where the guy does the skewers. Santarpio's is far enough off the beaten path where there are not loads of tourists (like Regina).

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 04:01:20 PM »
You guys are the BOMB!  Thanks for the all recommendations. 

Found an apt through Airbnb, slim pickings...but found what looks to be a decent 1-bedroom on Stillman St, not far from Paul Revere's House.  Bingo!!  Luck would have it that we'll be in the North End, not far from Gennaro's and Regina's (original) !! We will probably try one of these places on Sunday night. 

Heading to Boston now via Amtrak...and looking forward to dinner at Santarpio's!  John K, you had me at grilling lamb, beef and sausage skewers.. My husband and I are on a high protein diet, and this place is calling our names...So we're going to South Station, taking the Silver Line to the airport...picking our rental car and making the pit stop to Santarpio's before heading to Portland, ME. 

I will look into Hotwire next time.  We prefer staying in vacation rentals or B&Bs,...but the marathon must have jacked up the price all around Boston. The 1-bed cost $250 + airbnb charges = $291 for one night.  I just booked a 1-bed room in East Village NYC in May for $129 a night!  1o minute walk to Keste.

Thanks again,

Sharlene

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 06:12:19 PM »
Post a pic of your pies for me/us, will ya???? :'( :'( :'( :drool:

Have a great trip. The Maine part sounds like a blast.

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 10:25:50 AM »
I agree with everything in this tread, except maybe the vote for upper crust... dont give those crooks your business (and the pizza there is really nothing special any more).   From someone that spent over 20 years living in boston eating at regina and santarpios WAY to many times.......Sometimes the regina's in the north end is better, sometimes santarpios is better, both pizzas can be really good, and they are definitely different.   If your going to the north end anyhow you should try to hit regina's... but dont bother with their other locations (both pizzerias have been expanding lately).   These pizzerias are the pepe's and sallys of Boston and theres an age old debate over which one is better that divides the city.   I can see why... they both have good weeks/days and bad ones, and honestly I like them both about the same..... maybe with a slight soft spot for reginas when they really have a good night.           

Both pizzerias use the same brand of cheese, they both use high gluten bromated flours (neither one all trumps, which is what most pizzerias use).  There is a big difference in the sauce, however.   Santarpios uses pastene kitchen ready tomatoes and they pre cook them (blasphemy in the NY pizza world) but its actually really good!  The sauce is put on top, and toppings are put on first, so the order for a pepperoni pie goes.... form the skin, pepperoni down first, cheese down next, sauce on next, grated cheese on last.   They actually use part skim mozzarella so they can get away with using more cheese before the pie gets too soupy/oily.   

Regina's uses whole milk mozzarella (again same brand as santarpios) and a tomato that is custom packed for them by stanislaus thats great, and put in the standard location below the cheese.    In their raw state you would prefer the tomatoes at regina for sure.... but sauce on top at santarpios is great if your a "sauce guy" because you taste it more then if its under the cheese.   Reginas also has a MAGICAL oil that is used on some of the specialty pizzas pre bake (the polo pesto pizza can be killer at reginas!).  You will see bottles of the sauce sitting on the tables for use as a dipping oil, or condiment for the pizzas... its an olive oil, garlic, romano/parm cheese, chilli flake concoction that is highly addictive.   They will give you some in to go containers to take home, and I suggest it!   

Those are the first two classic pizzerias I would hit for sure.... both slower baked psudo new york style, but with their own twist from each other, and a classic NY slice.     

For me Max and Leo's would be a must try as well.   They have an earthstone oven thats 100% powered by coal.   Its the closest thing to new haven pizza your going to find around here, but they definitely have their own thing going.  They bake faster....colser to 4.5-5 minutes, where a new haven pizza usually sits somewhere between 5-10 minutes depending on the time of day (those old coal ovens are tricky).  Max and Leo's dont use bromated flour like they would in New Haven, but they do have a fork mixer (nobody in new haven has a mixer like that) which is really the best there is.   

Hopefully they are reading this..... Last time I was at max and leo's they were playing with their dough too much to get the edges flat, and the texture suffered a bit.   I also had a pie there with some over proofed dough, but when its on its on!  Its certainly a monster setup for making a good pie.   Sometimes they put on a little less cheese than I would like (and I dont like tons of cheese),  but overall it gets my vote for best in boston :)  Gotta try the coal fired wings at max and leo's too.... they are really good.   

Just so you know... all three of these pizzerias use aged not fresh mozzarella.   There are some other new places popping up that claim to be doing neapolitan, and I have seen a great review of a neapolitan place called imposto in davis squre by our own john della vecchia, but I have heard some negatives about that place as well...not sure what the deal is on a daily basis.... did he just get lucky?  maybe others can chime in.  In general, Boston is a bad town for fast baked Neapolitan pizzas, and there are certainly no places putting out the kind of qulaity you would find in the NY area like Keste, Amano, Motorino etc....

Boston is a tiny city, so its really fun to visit.    Must stops.....(but omg beware if its really marathon weekend) a walk up newbury street, a walk through the north end, or our Little italy (home of the original pizzeria regina), a view from the top of the prudential center (and or a drink at the top of the hub) a visit to Harvard square, a walk along the esplinade and bike path on the boston side of the charles river.  oh god.... there are so many great places!

There are so many great restaurants in the north end, but the only time I have been totally knocked out by Italian food in boston (and I used to eat out a lot!)  was at sorellina in the back bay.    Its pricey, though.   Even with the recent leagalization of food trucks, which has created a mini street food revolution I honestly think boston is still best for fine dining, unfortunately.    Its no NYC where you can be blown away by inexpensive food.     

I have also been blown away by meals at l'espalier which is crazy expensive, but OMG.     Next door to them (they share a kitchen and are under the prudential center) you can get a crave worthy burger and fries at l'espalier without having to spring for the expensive stuff on the menu.  Beware though, most of the places I am talking about are ground zero for the marathon!

Away from the marathon area, some other places I have had great meals are The Franklin cafe in the south end (mid priced) Cragie on Main (killer burger here too!) Jojo taipei (very inexpensive and some of the best authentic asian food I have ever had anywhere)  Oleana (mid priced) Oh Ya!..very expensive, but insanely creative uber high end sushi.... I could go on and on... let me know what kind of food you like and I can direct you to a place that does a good job with it.

Dont fear staying anyplace thats near a T station (not to be confused with the commuter rail) if you want to get away from the crazy marathon crowd that will be taking over the bulk of the back bay.   If you go any other time of the year besides marathon weekend I would suggest staying in Copley Square since its sort of the epicenter of everything, and has lots of hotels in many price ranges.   Good luck, and Have fun!!!!     

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 10:31:25 AM by scott r »

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 11:44:44 PM »

Had wonderful meals in Boston and Portland!

Santarpio's was amazing!  After 11 hours on the train...we were thrilled to make it our pit stop.  Loved the neighborhood feel, the ambiance...what a find! Ordered lamb and sirloin skewers - surprised, I really enjoyed the lamb, very tender.  We have sheep in our backyard, so I wasn't sure how I would do eating lamb...didn't even bat an eye.  Loved the hot cherry peppers! Ordered a couple of pies.  Kevin ordered the sausage, cheese and garlic.. and I honestly cannot remember what I ordered, that was Thursday night!! and ...because I have Regina in my mind...we had a late lunch there today.  In fact, we have been eating non-stop...since Friday.  Glad I take pictures of my memorable meals so I can remember them!!

After Santarpio's on Friday night, we had 2 great dinners at Js Oyster House in Portland!  We shared a bowl of lobster stew - basically a pound of lobster meat with lobster cream sauce. Kevin had the lobster/clams dinner and I had a lobster scampi.  Last night, we shared another bowl of lobster stew and loved our lobster rolls.  If you make it out to Portland, Js is a MUST.  Very reasonable and they give you LOTS of lobster.  Also, Fore Street Restaurant is a MUST!  Couldn't get an earlier reservation...so we returned to Js. Everything is cooked in a wood fire or spit fire.  Downstairs, is Standard Baking Company - who makes their Pane Francesce...which apparently is amazing.  Talked to one of the bakers, he says it's probably the best restaurant in Portland.   Bakery had wonderful croissants that had a slight tang...flaky and so bad for you!  It was so good, we each had 2!!

Made it to Regina's Pizza around 3 today...every place was packed with uber fit runners.  Decided we'd carbo load with the rest of them.  Ordered a prosciutto with spinaci pie, and one with the sausage with onions, green peppers, cheese, etc.. Kevin said the flavor and texture of the crust reminded him of the pizzas he had growing up in NY and NJ.  Ate at the bar, great ambiance!  Bartender said the oven has been around since 1890...coal, peat and then gas since 1920s.  The only time the oven is not fired up is on Easter Sunday...The manager showed me a picture of one of his guys crawled inside the oven,  reinforcing the loose bricks with putty. 

The sausage at Regina's was definitely more flavorful and their crust more tender and slightly thicker than Santarpio's, that it was more flavorful too.  Had a lobster/clams/mussels linguini at Giancomo's in North End, and grabbed some cannolis (filled to order!) , ricotta pie, and napoleons to go from Mike's Pastry shop...lines were long there..got in 6 minutes before I closed.  All were running the marathon tomorrow. We wish were running too!

Will post pics tomorrow...during the train ride! Goodnight!

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 11:50:26 PM »
Oh, and Kevin made it to Micucci's Grocery in Portland...he said he had the best Sicilian Slab!!!  It was 90 % hydration!!  I was busy in my wood fire oven class...but he took pictures that I can post.  He did get me a slab...had a couple of bites..unfortunately it was cold, and we had no access to warm the slab.  The crust was thick but had the texture of a brioche...airy and light.  There was one topping...tomatoes, mozzarella, and oregano.  The grocery store looked amazing!!!   There is an article about this pizza in Slice....anyone familiar with the pizzaiolo? 

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 07:57:00 PM »
I know this is late, but Picco is one of my favorite places in Boston.

http://www.piccorestaurant.com/
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 11:44:19 PM »
Here's a photo of the Sicilian Slab that my hubby had at Micucci's Grocery in Portland, ME. Could not resist posting a picture of Lobster Rolls and Lobster Stew at Js Oyster Place, also in Portland, ME. 

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 12:04:38 AM »
I am still in shock with what happened today in Boston.  Senseless.  We arrived in Back Bay Station an hour earlier to take the train home...so we went outside, passing Fairmont Hotel on the right, and stopped by Starbucks for coffee. It was so wonderful seeing runners and spectators come in to get their coffee - I could feel their excitement and nervous energy. Realized the festivities were further down the road, so we walked further towards a huge white tent  which we realized was the Medic Tent.  Lots of EMS trucks along the road, I thought. Noted this, being a nurse anesthetist. Anways,...admiring the public library building behind the white tent.  Little did we know that behind the tent would have been the Finish Line.  I usually take pictures with my iPhone whenever I'm in a new place...but I didn't this time.  It was around 7:45 am...so it was pretty quiet. It was a sunny, bright day...  Whether running a marathon or a 10k, the morning of the run is always so exciting!  So I was excited and even had nervous energy for them.  We left Back Bay Station at 8:20 am...wishing we could have stayed another day so we could watch runners cross the finish line.  It's an awesome spectator's sport. I have been heavy hearted since.  My heart goes out to the runners, spectators and families who have been affected by this tragedy.

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 04:03:09 AM »
My condolence to the families and the injured.
An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2013, 07:44:29 AM »
I was worried about you guys... im glad you got out of there early.     

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2013, 05:55:00 PM »
I was worried about you guys... im glad you got out of there early.     
Thanks, Scott.  All too surreal.  Still heavy hearted over here.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 07:31:15 PM »
You were the only person I knew in Boston at that time. As soon as I heard the news I hoped that you were away.
Very sad time.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 12:51:16 PM »
Post a pic of your pies for me/us, will ya???? :'( :'( :'( :drool:

Have a great trip. The Maine part sounds like a blast.

John K
Sorry it's so late, John ...