Author Topic: What kind of salt do you use and why?  (Read 1401 times)

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
What kind of salt do you use and why?
« on: April 10, 2013, 01:09:05 PM »
For many years I have been using Diamond Crystal Kosher salt, as I think is the mainstay of most cooks that I know. Recently however, I have been reading about many pizza makers who use fine ground sea salt in their dough. Just wondering what most of you use and why. Does it vary depending on your dough type, or do you use the same salt for all your cooking needs?

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: What kind of salt do you use and why?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 01:24:03 PM »
Mark,

I personally prefer sea salt because it contains nutrients that you don't get in refined salt. There are also some nutrients in sea salt that supposedly are better for the yeast.

When I do clone work, I use ordinary table salt. That is what most pizza operators use. Kosher salts can also be used but they have a larger grain size and are best dissolved in the water to insure more uniform distribution throughout the dough. The same goes for coarse sea salt, or else the coarse sea salt can be ground to a smaller particle size.

For general cooking and at the table, I use sea salt almost exclusively. But I do so sparingly.

Peter
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 01:26:14 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 02:39:57 PM »
I know it could be considered heresy but I don't like the flavor of Sicilian sea salt so I don't use it. I assume it's used so much because it's what's around in Italy. I think it's the same cache/marketability as many people using 00 flour.

I use kosher or a sea salt I like.

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 03:36:28 PM »
Diamond Crystal Sea Salt in my dough - it's on sale BOGO every few months.

Maldon Smoked salt on top of the pizza, when needed.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline PetersPizza

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 03:43:19 PM »
In dough I use Eden Foods French sea salt. For direct application pink himalayan rock salt.

-Peter

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 04:40:50 PM »
I use what is called "Fleur de sel" which is the top part of the sea salt you can harvest from the sea water evaporating. I find it to be more flavorful with less of a salty end result and very importantly, I get better proofing result than when using land salt.

Antoine
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline steelplayer

• wailuaveggie
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 12:44:53 AM »
I use alaea Hawaiian sea salt.  It is a red colored sea salt that has been infused with good old Hawaiian red dirt.  Gives a kick of extra flavor and iron.  I also try to use plain jane iodized salt once in awhile to make sure no goiters here.
Where ever you are, you are fives miles from somewhere else...

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 01:39:09 AM »
My go-to salts an inexpensive fine sea salt that I use in my dough and on the few pies like a Margherita that I add salt as a topping, Maldon for finishing when called for - salads and the like usually - great on things like toffee too, homemade smoked Kosher salt (Morton) on many things I roast and things like steak seared in a cast iron skillet, and plain Kosher salt (Morton's and Diamond Crystal both because the crystals are so different) for most everything else.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 09:54:55 AM »
I have been using fine  "real salt" from Utah for both my pizza dough and tartine bread. It has interesting color & texture. For breadmaking i also sometimes use pure grey sea salt  that I got from Valentino pasta. It doesn't break down completely in the dough & so adds an interesting texture.
- clay

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 11:18:24 AM »
Lots of ideas here. Thanks for all your reply's

. :) Mark

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 02:42:50 PM »
For more info. about different type of salt see http://www.saltworks.us/salt_info/si_gourmet_reference.asp
Bert,

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 03:00:52 PM »
For more info. about different type of salt see http://www.saltworks.us/salt_info/si_gourmet_reference.asp

Funny you should post about them. I just spoke with one of their reps and purchased. Very helpful folks, great web site and FREE SHIPPING!!! WOW HOOOOO!!!!!

Mark

Offline R2-Bayou

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 03:04:26 PM »
I use Diamond Kosher salt in my doughs and other recipes. I finish with a variety of fancy finishing salts, but those are more for texture and look. The trace minerals in different salts are indiscernible to our palates, so I try not to cook with them, just finish with them as they have more of a texture and visual aspect. Jeffrey Steingarten has a great rant on this in his book, "The Man Who Ate Everything". http://books.google.com/books?id=YkkhgGoE3_cC&pg=PA196&lpg=PA196&dq=Jeffrey+Steingarten+salt&source=bl&ots=USdIdqq98R&sig=SALA6WaxiZGF_Rzf72v0klW9PDk&hl=en&sa=X&ei=kghnUe-UAYj3igLZt4CYDQ&ved=0CEUQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=Jeffrey%20Steingarten%20salt&f=false

The meadow here in Portland has a great selection of salts and I've even got the Himalayan salt block from them. http://www.atthemeadow.com/shop I've cook scallops on it, but it doesn't really add much seasoning to them IMO.

I like to top the cornicione of pizzas with Alder Smoked Sea Salt pre-bake.

My current favorite finisher is harvested from a local bay, Jacobsen Salt http://jacobsensalt.com

I do really like to use the "Old Time" brand Alaea Hawaiian Sea salt for crusting steaks and salting pasta water too..
"Wretched excess is just barely enough."

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 05:58:57 PM »
I use Pink Himalayan Salt. From what I understand, the additional minerals that are in there actually can lower blood pressure (For those with health issues). Coincidence or not, my father's and my blood pressure has gone down since using it. In any event, it tastes great.

Offline steelplayer

• wailuaveggie
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 10:33:50 PM »
I also use Pink Himalayan Salt... as a vegan it gives a nice eggie taste when I want that.
Where ever you are, you are fives miles from somewhere else...

Offline blackshifter

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2013, 03:44:15 AM »
I use Celtic Sea Salt from Whole Foods. I love the mild flavor it has. The Pink Himalayan salts are wonderful too. That's the only salt I use for salmon and fishes.