Author Topic: A Little Experiment  (Read 3374 times)

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
Re: A Little Experiment
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2013, 11:51:18 PM »
Since the majority of pizza dough we've consumed in our lives probably contains more oil than that, I doubt the bloat and the oil are related. Lay off the pre-pizza hot dogs and see if that helps. :)
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2013, 08:41:12 AM »
One caveat. This could be from something I ate earlier (costco hot dog), but now an hour after eating the pies I have a heavy feeling.
Don't know if this is from 1.8 Tbsp of oil or something else. Did you notice any difference that way?
Tanner
Tanner,

I agree with Glutenboy on this. For pizza, it is usually the emergency doughs and pizzas that can cause digestion problems because of the very short fermentation period. The problem is further exacerbated when higher protein, higher gluten flours are used. I have never read anything in the pizza realm that ties oil to indigestion.

Marco (pizzanapoletana) has often spoken on this topic. I excerpted the following material from some of his posts on the matter:

A Mature dough is easy to digest both from the sugar and proteins point of view. That is way a relative long maturation depending on the flour, it is so important...

My dough, made with a small quantity of starter or even a tiny amount of fresh yeast, doesn't smell or taste like yeast at all. It smell fruity, fresh even sweet. Il Pizzaiolo can confirm this. The dough doesn't even look like has fermented/leavened much. You can only see the superiority of my dough once baked... Soft, fluffy, light, easy to digest...etc.

Another aspects is the post eating: without offence to anyone, but you guys in America are more used to eat heavy stuff (I mean heavy on the stomach, as to digest). San Felice or other stronger flour will remain on your stomach for ages. In Naples there is a pizzeria called Pellone. Well that pizza seem so soft, but will take you 8 hours before you feel light again....

If you use bread flour, that means that you have a lot of gluten (Protein) and starch (carbohydrates), which are both difficult to digest in their complex form. When you let a strong flour "mature", you give the enzymes a chance to simplify the starch and Gluten in simple elements which are also easy to digest.

The ancient Neapolitan pizza was light and easy to digest, because was made with natural leavening, and with long fermentation, given the chance to let the enzyme simplify both the proteins and starch. This is the tradition, and the only way you will produce an outstanding pizza (better then the average served in Naples).

Peter

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2013, 12:28:14 PM »
There is probably more oil and fat in the cheese than the dough.

Offline Tannerwooden

« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2013, 02:25:28 PM »
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're all right. I don't know if anyone noticed, but ALL my pies had meat on them. Seems kinda silly to point to the tiny bit of oil in the dough as the culprit now that you all point it out.

Great pizzas though! Thanks again Gluten Boy!

Pete, you are right about American's diet. However, a lot of us are changing our ways! Meat pizza is one of my last indulgences.  :)

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2013, 02:51:44 PM »
Glutenboy just curious what is your cooking technique? Stone? Steel? Broiler? Your pies always have the best color.

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2013, 02:31:32 PM »
Quarry tiles on oven rack in the lowest position (closest to the gas-flame heat source.)  Oven cranked to broil so flame never goes out.  No top broiler involved.  I'm just lucky that I have an old, hot oven.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 02:46:09 PM by Glutenboy »
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.