Author Topic: Using burners to preheat the pan.  (Read 619 times)

Offline spazster

Using burners to preheat the pan.
« on: April 13, 2013, 10:44:27 AM »
I am thinking about making a deep dish pan pizza next week or in the next few weeks.  I was wonder if there would be anything wrong with preheating the pan on the burner to about 750 and then drop the foil covered pizza in the pan and putting it in the oven.  My thoughts are that maybe it will give it a nice beginning oven spring before the temperature becomes uniform with the oven.  I am afraid though that this may overcook the outside and leave the inside doughy.  Does anyone have any experience with this?

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
Re: Using burners to preheat the pan.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 06:54:09 PM »
How are you constructing the pizza without the pan?

Btw, why do you want oven spring?  It's not bread.

Cheers,
Garvey

Offline spazster

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 11:00:38 PM »
I haven't done it yet, but I was thinking about covering the inner pan with foil, building the pizza in it, lifting the foil and pizza out of the pan, heating the burners, and then sticking the pizza back in the pan with the foil and sticking it in the oven.

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 06:39:53 PM »
I don't think it sounds like a very good idea.  It's going to be very difficult and dangerous trying to fit a pie into a 750 degree pan.  Im also not exactly sure why would want to try this in the first place.  It seems absolutely unnecessary. :chef: