Author Topic: 00 flour - Mulino Marino  (Read 542 times)

Offline janandpeen

• I Love Pizza!
00 flour - Mulino Marino
« on: March 27, 2014, 03:51:00 PM »
Hey Tribe... I am venturing for the first time into making a higher quality dough for Neapolitan style pizza. The only 00 flour I could find was Mulino Marino 00 wheat flour pictures below. I will be using ADY. Looking to make about 4 pies. Does anyone have a) experience with this brand and b) a good beginner recipe to toy around with. I have done A LOT of perusing on this forum and most recipes I se call for Caputo brand, but alas my local search for an immediate need has come up short. Thanks for the help!

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: 00 flour - Mulino Marino
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 05:34:40 PM »
Mulino Marino is a fantastic, ancient flour from Italy - used most notably in recent times by Gabriele Bonci at Pizzarium. I can't vouch for the quality for Neapolitan, but we will be Importing some into Australia shortly  :chef:

Offline pizzafreeq

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 05:51:28 PM »
where in Appleton did you buy this?

Offline parallei

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 06:25:15 PM »
Mulino Marino does mill a number of different types of wheat flours and other grains, but I think the product shown in the first post will be pretty much like other 00 flours.

From their site:

"Our traditional soft wheath flour,
cylinder milled in pureness
The concept we employ with our cylinder milling procedures is similar to that used for the stone mill. We rarely grind our cereals a second time and aim to reduce the milling processes to a minimum – thus avoiding overheating of the flour.

Type 00 e 0
Ideal for homemade pasta, cakes, homemade bread, etc."

http://www.mulinomarino.it/eng/prodotti.php

I think the original poster could just treat it like Caputo.....

Offline janandpeen

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 06:33:01 PM »
where in Appleton did you buy this?

Pizzafreeq - Found at Williams Sonoma at Fox Valley Mall. These were the last two boxes. They were on sale. Also, just got off the horn with The Olive Center on Northland and they have some they private label. They wouldnt tell me who the producer was over the phone, but the clerk said they get it from Italy. The owner often works out of the Northland location and I will be stopping in tomorrow or Sat to ask him more. They also have it at their Neenah Store... Hope this helps. You can also buy Caputo at Il Ritrovo in Sheboygan, but that would have taken more time than I have

Offline janandpeen

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 06:39:20 PM »
Mulino Marino does mill a number of different types of wheat flours and other grains, but I think the product shown in the first post will be pretty much like other 00 flours.

From their site:

"Our traditional soft wheath flour,
cylinder milled in pureness
The concept we employ with our cylinder milling procedures is similar to that used for the stone mill. We rarely grind our cereals a second time and aim to reduce the milling processes to a minimum – thus avoiding overheating of the flour.

Type 00 e 0
Ideal for homemade pasta, cakes, homemade bread, etc."

http://www.mulinomarino.it/eng/prodotti.php

I think the original poster could just treat it like Caputo.....

Thanks parallei, that is where my next question comes into play... "treat it like Caputo"... do I just substitute the 00 flour for the AP in the recipe Ive been using for a couple years? Or is there more to consider when using 00? Thanks for the vine...

Jon

Offline parallei

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 06:56:27 PM »
Jon,

I don't know what recipe you've been using or what temp you are baking at.  But in general, you could use it just like AP.  Do not expect NP like results at home oven temps.  But, I'm sure you know that.

Offline pizzafreeq

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 07:31:43 PM »
janandpeen- Thank you

Offline janandpeen

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 07:34:46 PM »
Do not expect NP like results at home oven temps.  But, I'm sure you know that.

Thanks for the feedback... Right now we have a KettlePizza, we get decent results... but are deciding on a FGM, FB, or the like... That's my next post... What is the right WBO for us? Loving the journey!

pizzapan