Author Topic: Practising the art of pizza crafting.  (Read 924 times)

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Practising the art of pizza crafting.
« on: March 20, 2014, 07:38:37 PM »
Ok guys, first real attempt at all the elements of Neapolitan pizza making. The only hiccup came in the form of my fire going out while I was at work. The oven was still quite hot 3 hours later, but with only 2 hours of heat the best temperature I could muster up was about 360-370c. Nevertheless, it gave me a good chance to practise the art of long fermentation, dough stretching, loading into oven and general pizza management.

Dough was 62.5% hydration, 3% salt, 0.2% fresh yeast. Fermented at 24 hours in bulk, 8 in balls all in the cellar. Definitely improving my technique considering this is the second attempt on long fermented pizza. Possibily could have gone a little longer in balls, but it turned out ok.

Once I get my Ischia replacement from Ed and I manage to get it activated i will make the switch :)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 07:53:43 PM by Totti »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Practising the art of pizza crafting.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 08:28:12 PM »
Totti,

You are learning very fast!  Nice!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline makin moves

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 09:01:20 PM »
those look tasty :)

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 09:13:46 PM »
Looking good.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 11:41:26 PM »
Thanks guys! I made 6 pies - trust I get it right on the final pie. This one was the real highlight, with culatello, buffalo mozzarella and homemade dried Calabrese chilli.

Does that batch ferment look right? The bubbles were huge.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 09:22:58 PM »
I like to see just the earliest signs of fermentation when I ball my dough after 24 hours - just tiny little bubbles starting to form that you can really only see looking through the bottom of a clear plastic container. I don't feel or see any gas moving around when I ball the dough.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 01:04:43 AM »
I like to see just the earliest signs of fermentation when I ball my dough after 24 hours - just tiny little bubbles starting to form that you can really only see looking through the bottom of a clear plastic container. I don't feel or see any gas moving around when I ball the dough.

Makes perfect sense, Craig. I just looked at what 17c might be with 0.2% fresh yeast, and I almost doubled the ideal fermentation time. It seems 0.05% would be the ideal, but can you really make 1 kilo of pizza with half a gram of fresh yeast? Seems awfully low.

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 01:16:18 PM »
Totti, I've been making a few doughs using fresh cake yeast recently and i can confirm that the seemingly low quantities are correct and do work. I've just made a small batch of 48 hr dough with .13g of fresh yeast. 

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 11:48:45 PM »
Totti, I've been making a few doughs using fresh cake yeast recently and i can confirm that the seemingly low quantities are correct and do work. I've just made a small batch of 48 hr dough with .13g of fresh yeast.

Sweet :) Look forward to pictures. I'm doing a cold ferment vs ambient ferment experimentation this week. 6 pies going into fridge for Friday tonight, 6 going into Cellar tomorrow.

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 06:54:34 PM »
Last nights bake - forever tinkling with recipes :) This was 61% Hydration, 0.125% CY, 2.9% salt. 36 hours bulk at 5*c fridge, 24 hours ball fridge, 10 hours ball at 17*c, and 2 hours ball in front of oven.

Dough was still heavily retarded after 24 hours in ball in the fridge, which is why Craig always stresses the importance of keeping an eye on the dough. With some skilful manipulation, we were able to make the best pies yet. Which is not saying a lot, as its only my third proper try :) The only thing was I think under-fermentation gummed up the crusts a touch, and I mean just a touch :) Overall very happy. Cold fermentation is not my thing though.. But it was neat to try.

Here is my end results, 265g balls.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 06:58:47 PM by Totti »

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 07:05:17 PM »
Couple more shots.

6 Pizzas between 4 with the rest for lunch today :)

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 12:06:03 AM »
Looking good!  You are making better pizza than you can buy for sure.  I suspect that you will end up with room temp fermentation before long.  Keep up the good work.
Bill

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 09:28:48 AM »
Wow! Wish I was at the dining table in that last photo. I can almost smell it through the pc monitor!  Nice job!!