Author Topic: My dough was crumbly, and didn't come together well. What happened?  (Read 1362 times)

Offline tdub154420

Something new happened to my Lehman type dough yesterday.

When I was doing the initial mix, where the dough is usually all scrappy and starts to come together, it never really came together.  It stayed scrappy and crumbly and didn't come together really.  This is usually the part where I add the oil, and nothing improved when I added the oil.  So then I added more water and it all came together in a sloppy wet-playdough type way.  Well I toughed it out and took and extra long time kneeding this dough in the mixer on varying speeds until it kindaaaa passed the window pain test.  I then balled the dough and put it in the fridge.  The ball rose slightly, but it felt really dense. I cooked the dough and needless to say the bread was dense, tasteless, and mostly flat.  It did rise when cooking and it had some oven spring...but mostly it had the texture of bowling alley pizza dough. 

My recipe is as follows and by volume: 

1 cup flour
1/3 cup of water, plus 1 tbsp more
1/6 tsp IDY
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 tsp sugar
1 tsp oil   

Could it be that the flour or IDY is too old/stale???  Another note is these little scrappy pieces were moist...so it wasn't really a moisture problem. 
- Trevor

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: My dough was crumbly, and didn't come together well. What happened?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 08:56:09 PM »
A scale would go long way to improving your efforts. Volume measurements, especially for flour, can be very inaccurate.

Online mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 09:54:33 PM »
Trevor, did anything change in putting this dough together, compared to your usual routine? Usually one finds that there has been a change of some aspect if all of a sudden your dough doesn't work. If there were no changes in the process then one has to look at the ingredients, or the environment. When was the last time you made a dough that you like and came together?

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline tdub154420

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 11:11:13 PM »
It'd been a while since us made dough (6 months) and I put it together like I usually do.  I'm feeling like it may have been stale flour???
- Trevor

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 11:19:51 PM »
It'd been a while since us made dough (6 months) and I put it together like I usually do.  I'm feeling like it may have been stale flour???

I'm thinking that you may be right. How do you store your flour? I have had flour that wasn't as old that did what you describe. I made the mistake of storing it in the basement and not in an airtight container. I think that the flour absorbed way too much moisture. It performed pretty much exactly the way that you described.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Online mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 11:12:55 AM »

Time to replace the flour and yeast, if it is also 6 months old.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 06:01:36 PM »
Stale flour.  Had the exact same thing happen to me a few months ago.  Fresh flour, no more problem.
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

pizzapan