Author Topic: Pepperoni Madness Tonight (PICS)  (Read 2937 times)

Offline snowdy

• i pledge allegiance to the pizza
    • Dataheadz Design
Pepperoni Madness Tonight (PICS)
« on: May 15, 2005, 11:24:44 PM »
Everybody in my family (my wife, me and dog) are crazy about pepperoni so tonight i thought i'd go buckwild :D

made 2 pies.. with the following:

PEPPERONI:
- boar's head brand
- margherita brand
- ezzo brand

Also tried a new sauce tonight which was excellent.

got a can of Nina peeled tomatoes with basil... strained out the seeds and grinded them up good in the food processor... then added a few spoonfulls of concentrato di pomodoro brand paste... antonio somethin or other, i threw the can out but you can see in the pic.. the paste already had salt so i didnt have to add any to the final sauce. I added just enough of the paste (not the whole can) to thicken up the sauce a bit. The result of the processed tomato flesh and the bit of paste was perfect. It needed no sugar or extra salt, all i did was add a bit of penzey's turkish oregano and it was ready. It was pretty sweet too so needed no sugar either.

We are pepperoni freaks so these pie's were awesome. But as you can see the grease made for a pretty yellowish pie. I had to use the old paper towel trick to soak some up before we ate. But WOW what flavor.

A few things i noticed off the bat is that the margherita brand is a lot spicier than the others and also cups just like the pics you see of grimaldi's in brooklyn.

Ezzo has a strong pork flavor, almost more pork flavor than a pepperoni taste but out of the 3 it had the highest quality taste. Boar's head was good, i used the pre-sliced version not the stick... but the most bland of the 3.

Im torn between margherita and ezzo. Ezzo is better quality by far, but i like the spicyness of margherita and the way it cups and crisps around the edges even at my crappy oven's top heat of 500.

Here are some pics.

Enjoy :)

« Last Edit: May 15, 2005, 11:26:18 PM by snowdy »

Offline snowdy

• Dataheadz Design
Re: Pepperoni Madness Tonight (PICS)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 11:25:14 PM »
more...

Offline snowdy

• Dataheadz Design
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 11:25:50 PM »
more...

Offline friz78

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 11:49:25 PM »
Snowdy,
That pizza looks so darn good I can taste it.  Nicely done!  Thanks for posting the pix.
Friz

Offline IlliniPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 12:04:01 AM »
Thanks for the Pepperoni Info,

Out of curiousity, what pizza recipe did you use?  It looks awesome.

Offline snowdy

• Dataheadz Design
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 01:11:49 AM »
hey guys, thanks for the kind words  :)

dough recipe was from one of the posts on pftaylor's re-engineering patsy's post. I've been using that pretty much every time now and i'll probably stick with it as it's made an absolute world of difference in the quality of my pie's.. absolutely amazing. the stuff stretches out like butter.

this is the recipe:

3 cups KASL
1 1/8 cups Water
1/4 TSP IDY
2 1/4 TSP Sicilian Sea Salt
1 TSP Olive Oil

i used to just dump all the flour in but lately ive been doing 1/2 flour up front then autolysing it for 20 minutes... then adding it slowly after the autloyse until the dough feels right. Heat and weather really does play into it.. as this time i had a whole 1/2 cup of flour left over. It was about 78 degrees and humid here when i did the dough (in california)...

the best advice i have gotten off this board lately was from varasano about never using a recipe.. just add and mix your dough until it feels right.

:)

« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 01:13:43 AM by snowdy »

Offline snowdy

• Dataheadz Design
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 01:17:25 AM »
by the way, youll notice that the recipe ive been using has no sugar and hardly any oil.

personally, as my latest testing proves, i dont think you need sugar to help browning. My oven only goes to 500 and ive been having no problems with browning since i have omitted sugar. A lot of posts on this board seem to point to the use of sugar and oil as a browning aid for lower temperature ovens but i dont really think it matters. also i don't notice any loss of taste since i stopped using sugar. My old recipe called for 2 tbsp of oil as well.

The taste of crust on my new recipe is actually better than when i was using 1tsp of sugar and 2tbsp of olive oil.

Offline RockyMarciano

• Go Sabres! Go Bills!
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006, 04:29:49 PM »
that looks good, margherita/circle u is absolutley the best pepperoni, cup n crisp!

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 11:46:24 AM »
by the way, youll notice that the recipe ive been using has no sugar and hardly any oil.

personally, as my latest testing proves, i dont think you need sugar to help browning. My oven only goes to 500 and ive been having no problems with browning since i have omitted sugar. A lot of posts on this board seem to point to the use of sugar and oil as a browning aid for lower temperature ovens but i dont really think it matters. also i don't notice any loss of taste since i stopped using sugar. My old recipe called for 2 tbsp of oil as well.

The taste of crust on my new recipe is actually better than when i was using 1tsp of sugar and 2tbsp of olive oil.

i agree... i no longer need table sugar for my dough as long and 550degree oven w/stone, long as the dough matures at least 18-24 hrs in the fridge.

have you compared your current dough recipe with lehmanns?  which do you prefer.

pizzapan