Author Topic: how to make a crust that's not too chewy  (Read 1090 times)

Offline doulostheos

• I Love Pizza!
how to make a crust that's not too chewy
« on: April 11, 2013, 04:05:39 PM »
I am a total novice regarding pizza crusts and I hardly know the difference between the main types of crusts.  That doesn't really matter though, because I'm trying to figure out one specific issue.  The fact is I have weak muscles and often have some difficulty chewing a typical pizza crust.  So I'm trying to find a recipe for a really crispy crust that will not have too much of a chewy texture.  It seems like I have tried some thin crusts that seem to have the right texture, at least at first.  When it's hot it's fine, but as it cools down it often seems to lose its crispiness, or becomes much chewier.  I may have to go with some kind of alternative crust that is not made with a wheat flour-based dough.  But I still want something that is somewhat like a typical crust.  It would also help if I knew something more about the science behind making a crust.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: how to make a crust that's not too chewy
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 04:13:42 PM »
Hello and welcome. It sounds like you may like a cracker style crust: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/board,28.0.html

Or you may like a crust made with softer flour, ie less protein content and cooked at a higher temp.

Mark

"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline doulostheos

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 04:52:42 PM »
Thanks for your suggestion.  A cracker crust may be what I need.

I understand why a softer flour might be helpful.  But, what exactly does temperature do in this case?  What about the length of time of baking?  Lastly, does the amount of oil used have any relevance?

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 05:07:19 PM »
In my experience and that of the "experts" a softer flour cooked at high heat will accomplish nice color,( the heat), and a softer texture, because of the length of time the dough is cooked, (short). If you like you can look at the process and pics of some beautiful pies here: BEWARE, you may get hooked on reading this,

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14506.0.html

Most of us home cooks don't have high heat ovens, but many do and there is more than one way to skin this cat ^^^

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline mitten

• every day I d'o(ug)h!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 02:47:30 PM »
If you like you can look at the process and pics of some beautiful pies here: BEWARE, you may get hooked on reading this,

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14506.0.html

wow! thanks for this link  :)