Author Topic: Floor tile choice for Neapolitan style pizza  (Read 229 times)

Offline blu_in_green

Floor tile choice for Neapolitan style pizza
« on: June 27, 2016, 09:58:42 AM »
Hi,

I've seen a number of posts throughout the years at Pizzamaking.com referring to the technical properties of floor tiles for neapolitan style pizza.

I'm working on building a low-done oven now, and was wondering if you could tell me what the current "vanguard" of North American floor tiles would be, balancing performance and longevity.

I don't yet understand the formal watt numbers people are using on various posts, and though you might be able to set me straight so I build with the right materials.  I'm only currently interested in cooks between 30-90 seconds.  I might be making bread in the future.

I've connected with pizzaparty about shipping 1/4-circle tiles, but that doesn't seem to be a realistic option due to fragility.

Any guidance for a newbie would be greatly appreciated!

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Floor tile choice for Neapolitan style pizza
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 10:02:46 AM »
Get the square saputo tiles from PizzaParty and cut them to fit. If you want legitimate sub-60s bakes, it may be your only option.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline blu_in_green

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 10:06:38 AM »
Thanks Craig!  Do you know if there is a North American equivalent, or are the squares the only choice?

Are the Pizza Party sold tiles the same as available directly from Fornace Saputo?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 10:10:16 AM »
Thanks Craig!  Do you know if there is a North American equivalent, or are the squares the only choice?

Are the Pizza Party sold tiles the same as available directly from Fornace Saputo?

I don't know of anything in North America that comes close. I don't know the answer to the second question.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline blu_in_green

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 11:04:21 AM »
Thanks, Craig.

Does the material of the wall bricks affect the Neapolitan style cooking performance as the floor tiles do?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 11:52:12 AM »
Thanks, Craig.

Does the material of the wall bricks affect the Neapolitan style cooking performance as the floor tiles do?

Small differences in thermal conductivity aren't going to matter in the bricks of the walls like it will in the floor. The walls and dome are about mass and insulation.

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 02:24:29 PM »
I might be making bread in the future.

If you're talking about *lots* of bread, you'll want additional mass in the floor, under the saputo tiles. If you just mean a few loaves after pizza, it's not really necessary.
In grams we trust.

Offline blu_in_green

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 04:26:37 PM »
Thanks Steve. I fear this is a terrible question: Does insulation count (or reduce the need) for additional  thermal mass?

Most of the time, I suspect the quick(er) start up time will trump my desire for more thermal mass, but I was hoping copious amounts of insulation would help on this front.

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 12:04:01 AM »
I'm biased toward bread, and willing to fire over the course of days, so I'm probably not the one to reassure you.   :-D

On the other hand, I've baked off four dozen loaves with retained heat from a single firing, so that's what I mean by "lots of bread".
You could plan to have an *extra* thickness of insulation board underneath the saputo, to be removed and replaced if you need the mass. That is, your dome would sit on sufficient insulation, then you'd stack more insulation inside the walls to put the tiles at your planned final height floor height.

I ended up adding 4.5" of brick to my floor (beyond the 2.25" of a standard Pompeii build) for bread; the final floor is 6.75" thick. I had planned for the possibility, so my dome and door heights were workable either way.
In grams we trust.