Author Topic: My Low-dome Build in Ontario, Canada!  (Read 479 times)

Offline blu_in_green

My Low-dome Build in Ontario, Canada!
« on: June 28, 2016, 07:38:48 AM »
Hi everyone,

I've finally gotten around to building my first oven and have so many questions I thought I'd finally make a thread to capture my experiences and the wisdom of the community!

My main inspiration came from the build by Larry P here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=42027.0

Larry has provided no end of help in getting me going. Thank you, Larry!

I have made it through the easy part: the top is poured on the concrete block wall (photo attached, better ones to come as we reach the next stages)

I just ordered floor tiles from Pizza Party (accidentally ordered 4 only (expecting to have a chance to "review and confirm" my order, alas that wasn't an option, so I'm hoping their electornic customer service can modify my order to 8 x (30x40cm) - doh!).  I tried calling them today, and found the phone line is answered only in Italian despite our best efforts to communicate. I reached out to Simone through the private messages on this forum, so I hope to have my order corrected shortly!

To make clear my goal: 95% of the time this oven is intended to produce 30-60 second neapolitan pizza. If anything I'm doing is going to hinder this, please correct me!

I have a host of questions holding me up, so I'm hoping the community might be able to help me think through some of these:

1) Floor Insulation: My local fire supply store is suggesting a ceramic board called K-FAC19.  Is this better or worse than regular CF board for the floor insulation http://www.insulation.org/mtl/pdfs/000438_394.pdf

2) Thermal Mass: I was planning 4 inches of ceramic fiber board to support 3.3 cm of Pizza Party/Saputo stones.  Just wondering if 3.3 cm is enough thermal mass, or if I need to adjust this? For instance, I could do 3.3 cm Biscotti, on top of 2.5inch low duty fire brick, but I'm worried the heat up times are going to become excessive - I've also read txcraig's comments about air gaps being an issue between the flooring materials)

3) Vent Diameter: How do I determine the correct Vent diameter - I'm hoping to follow this general idea: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=32618.msg339209#msg339209

4) Metal work: What guage and type of steel? How to keep the front metal plate from rusting?

Many more questions to come!

Thanks everyone!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 12:47:46 PM by blu_in_green »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: My Low-dome Build in Ontario, Canada!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 08:37:44 AM »
I'm sure you have seen this thread, but if not, I'd study it thoroughly before I started building the oven. 

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26441.0
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline blu_in_green

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 09:14:33 AM »
Thank you, Craig.  I have spent a good amount of time pouring over the pictures in that thread. At first I had no context for much of the information, but as I get deeper and deeper into the build, the information is finding context and being a real benefit.

I do tend to get stuck in decisions when there are a plethora of options (which CF board, what diameter pipe, x inches of insulation).  This is one of the reasons I appreciate when you and the other experts on here chime in and net out the technical details into summary statements. It is a real help to keep me moving.

Thanks again!

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 07:28:10 PM »
There is a lot of excellent info in that thread, but be warned, some of their methods and materials are not the most efficient.  Tradition just means you are doing it the same way every time, not that you are doing it the best way.

Offline MotoMannequin

• My Photography Website
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 11:47:34 AM »
Thanks for the shout-out and congrats on the oven!

If it was me, I'd do firebrick splits under the saputo tiles. My floor is 2.5" (6.4cm) thick, walls and dome are 4.5", and heatup time for me is minimum 3 hours. But, it stays hot for days. We cook in the oven up to 3 days after firing. Detroit-style pizza the day after firing. Even day 4 we're still around 200F and we do crock-pot dishes and oven-dried tomatoes. The extent to which we're able to use residual heat is a surprise and unexpected benefit. It's so good, my wife hasn't voiced a single concern over the cost of wood, which believe me, is out of character for her.

My vent diameter is 6" and it's fine for the 36" oven. I draws great once it's hot, and a little smoke out the front when it's cold, which I think is normal regardless of vent size. It's why I used black firebricks on my outer arch. I think the prevailing wisdom is that 8" is ideal, and you can get away with 6" for 36" ovens and below. I'd stick with that advice.

My metal was 10 gauge steel, which I think was good for the arch and front plate, maybe overkill for the straps, and definitely too thick for the door. My door is quite heavy. It's probably the only thing I'd do differently.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 11:55:36 AM by MotoMannequin »

Offline Randy_j

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 01:32:48 PM »
For the door you can get away wit 16 gage and it is plenty stout. I built mine from 16 gage on the outside as 22 gage for the inside and filled it with 4" of ceramic board.  I have up to 10 days of over 100F temps.

Larray I forgot on your build did you do the saputo tiles in your oven? If I move and build another one I am tempted to more or less copy what you did, and use the tiles on the floor. Right now if I am much over 700F I will burn the bottom before the top is cooked. A low dome and less conductive floor would probably help with that.

Randy

Offline MotoMannequin

• My Photography Website
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 05:21:34 PM »
For the door you can get away wit 16 gage and it is plenty stout. I built mine from 16 gage on the outside as 22 gage for the inside and filled it with 4" of ceramic board.  I have up to 10 days of over 100F temps.

Larray I forgot on your build did you do the saputo tiles in your oven? If I move and build another one I am tempted to more or less copy what you did, and use the tiles on the floor. Right now if I am much over 700F I will burn the bottom before the top is cooked. A low dome and less conductive floor would probably help with that.

Randy

I did not use the Saputo tiles. If I was aware of the option at the time, I would have. I spent a lot of time trying to track down the Whitacre-Greer bricks and after failing, and a lot of hand-wringing, just used regular HC Muddox firebricks for the floor. At this point I don't think I need to retrofit, but I'm still learning the oven. I may add them later.

You can see my Neopolitan thread here and see I'm getting mixed results, but I'm still dialing it in. I'm pretty good with minimal doming, and the floor up to about 850F. If I'm much hotter than that, then I'm very cautious about needing to dome:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=33992.150
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 05:23:37 PM by MotoMannequin »

Offline blu_in_green

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 10:41:54 AM »
Thanks, Larry and Randy!

Did you end up doing anything to prevent corrosion on the steel portion?

I've been looking at high heat paint, but the most promising vendor (Thurmalox) said their products would not suit  this application.

Offline MotoMannequin

• My Photography Website
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 11:39:41 AM »
Mine's just bare carbon steel. I suppose that's an argument to go stainless, but it doesn't rust if you're firing regularly. There's zero moisture in a 1000F oven. It might be an issue for down time in damper climates or covered for the winter. We're blessed here with a predominantly dry climate and low humidity.

Paint, even high-heat paint, would disappear very rapidly I believe, especially along the top of the entry which is often exposed to direct flames.

I did paint my door with 2000F rated paint, but it's never in place when there are flames present. It's probably never exposed to much over 900F and it's holding up so far.

Where in Ontario are you? I'm originally from Detroit. We would have almost been neighbors.

Online vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2016, 12:08:49 PM »
I did a stainless door, for the lower emissivity. Less IR absorbed/emitted = less heat lost.
In grams we trust.

wordpress