Author Topic: Thoughts on freezing NY style pizza?  (Read 1249 times)

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Thoughts on freezing NY style pizza?
« on: April 14, 2013, 09:01:44 PM »
My brother n law has been bugging me about freezing NY ready made pies and selling them to grocery stores.  Has anyone tried this before?  How would this affect the dough while baking and what would be the best cooking method as far as temp, time, stone, cutter pan...etc?

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Chaze215

Re: Thoughts on freezing NY style pizza?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 09:34:13 PM »
Unfortunately I can't help you with any answers, but I will be curious about what the experts have to say.
Chaz

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 09:39:26 PM »
I am in no way an expert but I think first off you need to make them in a facility that is BOH approved/have a BOH license, and be registered with the right authorities, which in my case is the Ohio Dept of Ag.  Labeling and such has to meet their guidelines. If you have that down the hard work is done!  Walter
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 09:43:24 PM by waltertore »

Offline pythonic

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 09:47:27 PM »
Right now I'm interested in final product and best cooking methods.  Thank you for your replies so far.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 09:52:35 PM by pythonic »

Offline pythonic

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 10:00:45 PM »
I see that John Fazzari knows a little about this from this thread. 
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11806.msg110143.html#msg110143

"As for feezing...I freeze skins all the time without much loss in quality.  As for freezing a baked product, I find that parbaking a fully dressed pizza, and then freezing, will give the best results because the act of reheating the pizza is also finishing the par baked product to where it would have been if you first baked it fully.  It's like the pizza is fresh from the oven." 

John,

Could you please give some insight to freezing methods, bake temps and times as well as if you used a stone or pan to reheat?

Nate

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 10:07:18 PM »
If you could freeze them really quick it would help w quality.

When I lived in wi a place that made pretty good pizza sold frozen par bakes. They were frozen in a regular walk in freezer and when cooked were pretty dry with poor texture. You may be able to adjust your dough (higher hydration or oil) to correct this.

You should try a few and let us know!
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 08:58:03 AM »
Nate,

As the others have noted, what you want to do at the retail level can be a major undertaking. Tom Lehman has written on that subject before and knows the answers to your questions. I did a quick search this morning over at the PMQ Think Tank and here is an example of one of Tom's posts on the subject: http://thinktank.PMQ.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10422&p=71710&hilt=#p71710. Here are a couple of other PMQTT threads that might be helpful: http://thinktank.PMQ.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8661&hilt=#p58425 and http://thinktank.PMQ.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7756&hilt=#p52921. You might find it useful to search the PMQTT archives to see what else may be there that is on topic. Another option might be to register over at the PMQTT and post your questions there or maybe do something similar on the Ask the Dough Doctor board and hope that Tom sees your posts. 

Peter
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 08:00:44 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline pythonic

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 01:04:48 PM »
Peter,

Thanks for your reply.  I don't even want to eat a frozen pizza but my brother n law just won't let it die.  I just want to make him a few so I don't have to hear his lips flappin for a few months...lol.

I am unable to open those links btw.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 02:17:43 PM by pythonic »

Offline ogdred

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 08:03:58 PM »
Change thinktank.pm.com to thinktank.pmq.com, and they work.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 08:24:06 PM »
Change thinktank.pm.com to thinktank.pmq.com, and they work.
ogdred,

Thanks for catching that. I tested the PMQ Think Tank URLs before I posted but forgot that the PMQTT did not change the URLs when it changed its forum software a while back. The PMQTT URLs that were already on our forum work because Steve did a global change of those URLs along the lines you mentioned. There are still some old PMQTT URLs on our forum that do not work but they are for two PMQTT forums ago. Those posts were never archived. That was a shame because there was a lot of good information in the old PMQTT forum.

Peter

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 08:02:24 AM »
Even though Nate's interest at the moment is on how best to freeze pizzas, I corrected the PMQTT links in my earlier post.

Peter

Offline pythonic

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 09:28:31 AM »
John never got back to me.  Any idea how long I should parbake for?

Offline pythonic

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 10:31:25 AM »
Went ahead and parbaked one for 3:00 and 3:45. I plan on freezing for 4 hrs and then putting in a freezer ziplock and manually sucking out the air with a straw.  Will reheat in two days at 425F for 7 mins.  I got the reheat numbers from this ny pizza place out here in Chicago that happens to sell frozen pies.

http://nyslices.com/frozen-pizzas/

Nate
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 10:39:43 AM by pythonic »

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 12:45:45 PM »
Sorry Nate
I answered your email the night I got it, but I don't know what happened.

With our dough, the concern is getting the crust set...because our decks are warmer than most home ovens.  Having said that...I can't give you a certain time...you have to watch the particular pizza you are baking.  I do want the bottom starting to brown, and the cheese melting......it then goes directly into the freezer on a screen, so that all the steam leaves.  When baking at home.....thaw the pizza completely, and put in as hot an oven as you can....you don't even need a stone if the crust is partially done..but I prefer a stone.  It will only take a few minutes to finish baking. 
John

Offline pythonic

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 01:06:59 PM »
John,

Thank you for your reply.  So the bottom of the crust didnt get soggy upon thawing it out?   I'll give it a try on Friday and see how it goes.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 02:53:15 PM »
we freeze lots of pizzas.  we wrap them up in wax paper after cool and stick them in a ziplock bag.  makes for an easy dinner!  heat them up on a pizza stone and they're ready to go.
bill

Offline pythonic

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 05:37:39 PM »
we freeze lots of pizzas.  we wrap them up in wax paper after cool and stick them in a ziplock bag.  makes for an easy dinner!  heat them up on a pizza stone and they're ready to go.
bill

How do they turn out?  Here's mine.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 10:50:51 PM »
I bake neo pizzas.  warmed up frozen pies turn out a little tough and crisp compared to fresh, but still good.  it's an easy dinner on an off night.  my mom loves them!

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 12:42:08 AM »
John,

Thank you for your reply.  So the bottom of the crust didnt get soggy upon thawing it out?   I'll give it a try on Friday and see how it goes.
Actually, the opposite is true in our case........that is, IF, you freeze your pizza on a screen to release all of the moisture while cooling.  With my crust, I am at the mercy of the flour at the time....so while most of the time this method works exceptionally well, there are occasions where the crust ends up way to crispy and dryish.  It supposed to be tender, crisp crust.

John

pizzapan