Author Topic: Spring '13 WFO project  (Read 5723 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Spring '13 WFO project
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 08:38:10 PM »
How long does it take yours to get back to ambient, Craig?

After one day of use, probably 3 days.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline SELES

• I design stuff.
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 09:11:37 PM »
The 8-10hr heat up doesn't surprise me at all, whenever I got out for a neo pie (which sadly isn't very often since moving to cleveland) I'd always try to hit em a little later on in the night after the oven had been fired all day. Seemed like the pies were always better at that point.

Offline SELES

• I design stuff.
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 09:21:26 PM »
Craig, what are your temps the next morning?

Offline SELES

• I design stuff.
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2013, 08:38:30 PM »
Memorial day weekend was spent working on the house, one of those projects was drilling post holes below frost and pouring footers for the oven base. I'll be laying a stone patio which is why there's difference between the footer height and the ground. My father in law was a big help and, we're happy that everything came out level and that the base and footers line up well. I think the low profile of the base is going to look real nice.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2013, 05:35:38 AM »
Thats very good looking base, but is it too high ?

Offline SELES

• I design stuff.
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2013, 11:59:09 AM »

I wondered the same thing initially, "they" say a good hearth height is chest height. I think I'll be in the neighbor hood esp after the pavers are down.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2013, 12:05:48 PM »
Can you measure H x W x D ?

Offline kiwipete

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2013, 05:08:37 PM »

That was discussed here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=23267.0

Apparently about 47-48" from the ground to the hearth floor is quite good.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2013, 10:03:50 PM »
I would say that 50" +/- 2" is perfect.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2013, 10:18:44 PM »
Agreed ! with TX ! mine a bit higher but I am 6'2"  and I didnt account for the mortar in all the joint OOPs !
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

scott123

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2013, 01:45:02 PM »
Agreed ! with TX ! mine a bit higher but I am 6'2"  and I didnt account for the mortar in all the joint OOPs !

I like the height of your oven, John.  I've recently come to the conclusion that proper line of site to the baking pie is more important than potential shoulder/arm fatigue.  Breadmakers don't need to see every loaf of bread as they bake, so that's why I think you come across some recommendations such as 'elbow height' on other forums like FB.

It depends, to an extent on door height, but stooping to have to see a pizza while it bakes would be a miserable experience.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 01:47:53 PM by scott123 »

Offline SELES

• I design stuff.
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2013, 04:34:01 PM »
good to know fellas. thanks for the input. I'm shooting for 48"-50" the stone we'll be putting down will influence that some but it sounds like I'm headed in the right direction.

Should be pouring the hearth today or tomorrow. Had a bit of trouble tracking down perlite in large enough quantities and finally found some at the local hydroponics shop.

Offline SELES

• I design stuff.
hearth, mortar, angled course atop soldier
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2013, 01:56:36 AM »
I'm flip flopping between feeling totally overwhelmed/in way over my head and thinking this is pretty straightforward and doable...

Before I poured the hearth, 6" of 6:1 perlcrete, i noticed that the footers had settled unevenly during the rains  :-\ ...

I leveled out the base using some standard brick and 1/4" steel pieces, assured the ground was firm then poured the hearth. So far so good, still level after all the rains. I've poured the hearth and mocked up my soldier course and brick floor which has me super excited about moving forward.

When I picked up my brick Friday, I also picked up some mortar. What I got was No. 36 refractory cement, is stuff any good? I went with the suggestions of the refractroy supply but am not sure if the make-up is pizza oven friendly.
http://37710.samplesite.gbr.cc/cdata/37710/docs/1716139_1.pdf

I'm studying the build threads of fagilia, kiwipete and Jeff which are great and I learn something new each read but something that i'm having difficulty finding clarity on is how to determine the angle of the course that sits atop the soldier course. This stuff feels way over my head, or maybe I'm just over thinking it...and mostly it's around the idea of banding as in fagilia's case and how and where the thrust will be placed and how do I make sure my oven isn't going to fall apart. ???

One thing is for sure though, I'll come away from this experience with a few things learned!

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 02:02:19 AM by SELES »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2013, 08:45:29 AM »
That is a refractory cement designed for normal <1/8" joints.  Is is also water soluble which is not normally a problem but may be so in an outdoor oven.  You can make it work by adding an aggregate, but your best course is to find a dry mix such as Heatstop, or even make your own homebrew.

Offline SELES

• I design stuff.
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2013, 04:10:59 PM »
That is a refractory cement designed for normal <1/8" joints.  Is is also water soluble which is not normally a problem but may be so in an outdoor oven.  You can make it work by adding an aggregate, but your best course is to find a dry mix such as Heatstop, or even make your own homebrew.

I'll look into other mortars, hopefully I can find something local.

If I end up adding sand to the mix, how much should it be? or rather what consistency am i looking for? I just read through the 3:1:1:1 thread on  forno bravo and i suppose I could shoot for the consistency you have in your demo mixes.

Thanks for the help!

Offline kiwipete

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: hearth, mortar, angled course atop soldier
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2013, 05:25:59 PM »
I'm flip flopping between feeling totally overwhelmed/in way over my head etc

That is perfectly normal. This is my second oven so I feel a bit more confident, but the first time around I was (as the saying goes) "shitting bricks" ...

In the end it turned out fine. Not perfect, but fine. And these things don't need to be perfect anyway. So keep going and if you have questions, keep asking.

Cheers

Peter.

Offline SELES

• I design stuff.
Re: hearth, mortar, angled course atop soldier
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2013, 12:23:53 PM »
That is perfectly normal. This is my second oven so I feel a bit more confident, but the first time around I was (as the saying goes) "shitting bricks" ...

In the end it turned out fine. Not perfect, but fine. And these things don't need to be perfect anyway. So keep going and if you have questions, keep asking.

Cheers

Peter.

Thanks Peter!

Offline SELES

• I design stuff.
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2013, 10:52:36 AM »
I'm on the home stretch with the oven, I'm way over on time and maybe double on budget—too scared to look at the receipts, ha ha. You'll notice that I made a significant design change, went with a 42" instead of a 36" oven on a ~52" base so I ditched the dome shape and am tracking more towards a larger exterior structure so it can be insulated properly. i cas More photos to come as I make progress. Attached are photos of the progress.

Offline SELES

• I design stuff.
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2013, 10:58:45 AM »
I casted the vent out of ks4 plus over some clay...not sure it's gonna work but does okay. Is definitely an area to fine tune:

Offline SELES

• I design stuff.
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2013, 12:25:36 PM »
The exterior structure is almost complete, but with oven done and insulated I couldn't pass up and opportunity to bake:

pizzapan