Author Topic: Can it really be this easy????  (Read 1060 times)

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
Can it really be this easy????
« on: April 14, 2013, 10:05:25 PM »
After making an emergency type dough with my Iscia sourdough culture, I thought it might be fun to see what happens to my doughs with longer fermentation times in the fridge using sour dough starter.
I needed a starting point, so I chose to add 40% sourdough culture by weight of the dough.  I also assumed my culture had a 120% hydration rate.  I added a very small amount of IDY also, because I needed to start somewhere.

Total Formula:
Flour (100%):   30.41 oz
Water (58%):   17.64 oz
Salt (2%):            .61 oz
IDY (.4%):            .12 oz
Oil (2%):              .61 oz
Sugar (2%):         .61 oz
Total (164.4%):  50 oz
Single Ball:         10 oz

Preferment:
Flour:                    9 oz
Water:    -           11 oz
Total:                  20 oz

Final Dough:     
Flour:                 21.45 oz
Water:                  6.65 oz 
Salt:                       .61 oz   
IDY:                         .12 oz
Preferment:        20 oz
Oil:                          .61 oz
Sugar:                     .61 oz
Total:                   50 oz

I added all my ingredients to make 50 ounces of dough into my bowl.  Using the paddle on my Kitchenaid, I mixed for about 1 minute....until all ingredients were gathered together.  Let the dough set 5 minutes...and then mixed about another 30 seconds.  Poured dough onto a lightly oiled cookie sheet...stretch and fold.  Rest 30 minutes...stretch and fold.  Rest 30 minutes...stretch and fold.  Rest 30 minutes...stretch and fold.  Rest 30 minutes....scale, ball and refrigerate.

So far the procedure is so simple I am embarrassed.  The dough is very good, even on the same day as mixing because of the added flavor of the Ischia.   But the real gems come after a day or even more in the fridge.  As time goes on the dough balls start to fill their containers, and I degas them and reball them the night before I plan my bake.  The interesting part of this experiment, is that I took out my dough to warm up 5 hours prior to bake....(maybe, it's the low percentage of yeast, maybe it's the 58% hydration rate, maybe it 's the sour dough).   

The rewards are nicely browned pizzas, each one having the eggshell bottom, soft as a cloud middle.

John

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
Re: Can it really be this easy????
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 10:56:09 PM »
Here is a pizza after two days in the fridge.  Baked at about 550 degrees for 4 minutes.  The dough balls definitely remind me that the timing of balling relative to baking matters.  The balls almost have to be reballed because they are so full of gas.
JOhn

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 10:58:08 PM »
Here's one after 3 days.  Same oven, same eggshell crispness...superb!!

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 11:00:47 PM »
And here's the last one after 4 days in the fridge.  Baked at 530 degrees, this took 5 minutes....but still got the excellent texture I love.

Offline ccgus

• Mueller Pizza Lab
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 11:02:58 PM »
Wowsers.  Those are some pretty nice looking pies.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 12:45:03 PM »
Beautiful!!   ;D