Author Topic: Kitchenaid Mixer K5SS (5 quarts)  (Read 1017 times)

Offline wepesq

• I Love Pizza!
Kitchenaid Mixer K5SS (5 quarts)
« on: April 15, 2013, 07:11:37 PM »
I've always made by dough by hand but this forum inspired me to break down and try a mixer. Today I bought a used Kitchenaid K5SS. I am fairly sure it's 5 quarts and 325 watts. It came with the splash guard, dough hook, whisk, and some other attachment (shown) for a use unknown to me. Anyway, I paid $100 on Craigslist. I think I got a pretty good deal because if I decide mechanical mixing is not for me, I could probably sell it and get most of that amount back. Has anyone had a particularly good or bad experience with this model?  Any tips?  I can't wait to get her humming this weekend.

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Kitchenaid Mixer K5SS (5 quarts)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 10:17:17 PM »
I've had one of the same model for 20 years. I have no complaints. It maxes out at about 1.4kg of flour @61%HR.

The attachment in the picture is the paddle. I use it for things like cakes and cookies.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 12:30:07 AM »
I have the Kitchen Aid Professional HD that I purchased at Costco.  I love it for kneading my dough. Sometimes I still mix my dough by hand and other times I use the paddle attachment to mix my a dough ball. However, I always use the hook attachment to knead the dough.  I put it on the lowest speed for 10 minutes using the hook and it kneads the dough perfectly each time. 

Again, I used to knead the dough by hand, but since using the Kitchen Aid one time, I have switched. No Comparison to using the HOOK. I won't go back. Hope you enjoy your KA.

TomN

PS
Here is my dough recipe

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17415.480.html
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 12:42:14 AM by TomN »

Offline wepesq

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 03:39:41 PM »
Thanks guys.