Author Topic: I have a possible opportunity with some questions  (Read 836 times)

Offline Chaze215

I have a possible opportunity with some questions
« on: April 15, 2013, 07:34:45 PM »
A friend of mine has a campground here in NJ. He has a Blodgett oven which he says "might need a thermostat, it's either on or off". So this scenario got me thinking. I was going to approach him and see if I had the oven fixed, perhaps I could use it to sell some pizzas (let's say once a month or so) to his campers. I am just a weekend/weekday warrior when it comes to making pizza. So what kind of obstacles would you forsee for someone like myself if everything were to fall into place? As far as compensation for him, do you think a flat rate or % of sales or...? I would offer maybe 3 different toppings (plain, pepperoni and..?) What do you guys suggest? What would be fair price for a slice given a 15 or 16" pie? Over the weekend I paid 2.50 for a small slice which I though was a bit high. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Chaz
Chaz

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: I have a possible opportunity with some questions
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 08:11:31 PM »
This sounds like it could be fun Chaz. You would be providing a nice amenity to his campers so depending on how good a friend your friend is it would be sweet if he just let you cover utility costs, no?  :)

He probably already has soda machines around there so he'll pick up a 'lil something extra with that.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 08:13:49 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 08:37:04 PM »
I don't think 2.50 is too high, but if the piece was that small just make them bigger. First figure your excact costs to make a pie, then at least triple that (just a guess). Then are you looking to make anything, how much, or just for a hobby. Do it for a few weeks, month or so and keep track, then is it worth paying what he needs for utility use and are you making anything. I would go for at least 6 toppings. Pepperoni, olives, mushrooms, onions, green peppers and at least 1 second meat, sausage or ham. All are very stable in the fridge, the sausage would be the least and then your cheese but I don't really include that as a topping, most expect that. The sausage you could pre-cook and keep frozen although that lessens the quality a bit. Onions and green peppers can be cut to order unless you get swamped then cut a bit more. Also does he have a food license and inspected/approved kitchen, insurance, refrigeration etc. Many things to consider before you jump.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 08:38:50 PM by Jackitup »
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 08:58:22 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys! He has a kitchen on site which he sells sandwiches, hot dogs, soda, ice cream... That being said, I would imagine he has to have all the appropriate liscencing. However, I am not sure if he has a mixer. I can't make many doughballs with my home mixer...the most I've done at once is 4. And what does a thermostat for a Blodgett go for anyway? I think this would be a great learning experience,  a lot of work but also a lot of fun....If it all pans out. 
Chaz

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 08:59:21 PM »
Chaz:  It sounds like you might have an adventure coming up!  What model blodgett?  Some are made for baking not pizzas and only go to 500 degrees.   I have a stack of old 1000's (the best pizza oven they ever made) and had to replace the gas safety valves, 1 pilot light,  and one of the gas on/off valves.  The good news on these ovens is there are no electronics.  If you are good with a basic tool kit they are fun to work on.  I have a connection for replacement parts if you need it.   

The bad news on them is many of them are in terrible shape-neglected, abused, rusted out........  Another hurdle to pass is getting legal to sell.   If your friends campground is all up to code and licensed you have it made.  If not, some legwork will be needed to find out what you have to do to get legal.   Is there a mixer, fridge, sinks, etc, on the site?  It would be best to get a pro out there to evaluate the site for gas pressure, fixtures, etc.   If you hit too many hurdles you can offer to buy the oven and hook it up at home.  If it is outside the house in a shed or something you can legally run it on propane.  Walter

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 09:07:01 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys! He has a kitchen on site which he sells sandwiches, hot dogs, soda, ice cream... That being said, I would imagine he has to have all the appropriate liscencing. However, I am not sure if he has a mixer. I can't make many doughballs with my home mixer...the most I've done at once is 4. And what does a thermostat for a Blodgett go for anyway? I think this would be a great learning experience,  a lot of work but also a lot of fun....If it all pans out.

our posts came at the same time.  A used hobart/thunderbird 20 quart mixer will do up to 10 -16 ounce dough balls no problem.  You can often find a decent one for under a grand on craigslist.  Those thermostats are adjustable and pretty hard to destroy.  It would probably be best to get a repairman out to check it out.   I think the thermostats go for around $200.  You have to really look the oven over.  There are a lot that can be wrong as well as the thermostat that an untrained eye will not see.  Here is a link to the thermostadt.   The gas safety valve is another thing that goes out on them.  The older ones like mine had mercury in them.  the replacements are magnetically driven.   It opens a small amount of gas so you can light the pilot and once the thermocoupler gets hot enough (about 20 seconds of holding the red button in after you light the pilot) and then you can ignite the main burners.   Walter

http://www.ebay.com/sch/kennyzoo/m.html?item=250961081242&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 09:09:31 PM by waltertore »

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 09:26:56 PM »
Thanks again Walt. There is no way I plan on trying to diagnose and try to fix the problem  :-D If he agrees to let me use the oven, I will have someone go out there who knows what they are doing. He is supposed to let me know what model Blodgett he has. As soon as I know, I will let you know and maybe u can give me some pointers on using the oven as well as repair...lol
Chaz

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 09:35:52 PM »
These old Blodgett ovens are really nice...and having even a basic understanding of them can help save you $ if you by chance come across Mr. Not Nice repairman.  :)
Get her cleaned out real good and then let's take a look under the hood.  ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 09:36:14 PM »
Thanks again Walt. There is no way I plan on trying to diagnose and try to fix the problem  :-D If he agrees to let me use the oven, I will have someone go out there who knows what they are doing. He is supposed to let me know what model Blodgett he has. As soon as I know, I will let you know and maybe u can give me some pointers on using the oven as well as repair...lol

That sounds like a good plan.  As a fellow New Jerseyite I will help in anyway I can ;D  Walter

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 09:48:59 PM »
That sounds like a good plan.  As a fellow New Jerseyite I will help in anyway I can ;D  Walter

Where in NJ did you live?
Chaz

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 10:50:06 PM »
I think an addition of pizza is a great thing at any campground that said when the thermometer doesnt work wood does  ;D get a WFO in there ! and  really have an adventure . Biggest hurdle is the dough,  you can (GULP) do a Richs sheeted dough that has high production and margins and comes in various sizes  for the campers with a slightly impeeded taste buds  :P use a quality sauce  cheese and topping lotse mobile WFO operators do this ( cus they dont even know how to make a real dough) and make nice $$
Just a thought ?
John From Jersey
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 05:58:12 AM »
Where in NJ did you live?

Chaz:  We spent my first 10 years in Bellville and then moved to South Orange.   My family is all still in the area.  I left as a teen in the 70's to follow my musical dreams.  My grandfather lived in Ortley Beach full time and we spent summers there.  Lots of great memories and Star Tavern was our regular place.  Where do you live?  Walter

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 04:22:53 PM »
John, I would rather make my own dough rather than use some crap and cover it up with sauce and lots of cheese...lol And don't think it didn't run through my mind about getting a WFO. In fact you and I kicked around the idea of a mobile unit at the end of last year. I would love to get one,  but there are some limiting factors right now. One of them being that I don't think my BMW would be able to pull the unit...lol But if this situation does play out, I will have to hit you up for some supplies if you don't mind. Maybe you can give me a heads up on some things I might need?
Walt, I grew up in Cranford (Union county)  and now live in Toms River at the Jersey Shore....about 10 minutes from Ortley Beach which is still a mess after Sandy tore through here.
Chaz

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 06:07:05 PM »
Chaz:  My parents retired to Toms River 25 years ago and love it.   Walter

pizzapan