Author Topic: Second bake  (Read 960 times)

Offline Reep

Second bake
« on: April 16, 2013, 12:07:46 PM »
Things are really starting to come along and enjoyed my second bake much more than the first. There is a lot to learn, but it gets easier with each pie.  The first help was I built (and am building) a prep station to sit on my counter.   It is held in place by two posts that stick up from the counter.  I was going to find a granite remnant, but when I went to my local vendor, they had 18" marble tiles that looked perfect.  Lighter than a remnant, and big enough to suit my needs.  Here is the unfinished version I used for the bake:

Offline Reep

Re: Second bake
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 12:17:07 PM »
The first pizza of the bake was a MP, with the cheese drained and dried this time  :-[ (no picture).    The second was a standard cheese pizza for the kids--which thankfully they loved (no picture).  The third was tomato and spinach with kalamata olives (first picture).  The fourth was a mix of peppers and gorgonzola with the standard MP topping (side shot of crust).  And finally was my favorite: standard MP base with Adelle's chicken/habanero sausage with mini sweet peppers and gorgonzola.  The dough was a variation of the ADY emergency dough, but basically bulk in the fridge 24 hours, then balled and fridge for 20 hours.  I'm going to wait until I get my sourdough culture up and running before I start getting into the nuances of the dough.

Offline Reep

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 12:22:49 PM »
Lessons learned: 

1) I switched over to semolina flour for the opening of the dough.  That worked better and was easy on the marble surface. 
2) I learned why you have a loading and a turning peel.  Maybe I had a bit too much cooking wine (as my friend accused me of), but when I was second baking the nutella pizza, I grabbed the loading peal to take the pizza out and ended up running it right into a pile of ash on the back of the oven.  Won't do that again.
3) Trust the oven.  I did not respread coals over the oven floor to reheat it this time.  I just let the oven sit with the flame and coals on the side the whole time.  This seemed to work just fine as I had no uneven cooking issues.  I love my oven.
4) I was having problems getting the formed pizza on the peel, so I ended up opening the dough, then placing it on the peel, then topping and loading.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 04:34:19 PM by Reep »

Offline csafranek

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 03:30:14 PM »
Those are looking and sounding great! Good job!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 06:28:17 PM »
Reep,

Looking good. Can you tell me what an "MP" pizza is? I have been scratching my head over that one.

Peter

Offline Reep

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 06:33:54 PM »
Sorry, it should have been PM, or pizza marg[however you spell that last part].  I need to look at the abbreviation section and get the lingo down better.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 07:42:23 PM »
Nice job Reep.  The crumb looks nice from here!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 09:16:51 PM »
Looking good reep! After lookignat those pies I am Glad now I am making pizza this weekend FWF Party Sat. and then the Za Man and Co. sunday !  Plenty of room in the oven right ? how long are you heating up the FGM 1500 short ?
Thanks
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Reep

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 10:30:52 PM »
Looking good reep! After lookignat those pies I am Glad now I am making pizza this weekend FWF Party Sat. and then the Za Man and Co. sunday !  Plenty of room in the oven right ? how long are you heating up the FGM 1500 short ?
Thanks
John

I have been using 4 hours, but really it is ready at 3.  I think if I was diligent and in a hurry I could do it in 2.5 hours.

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 01:39:22 AM »
Beautiful pizza! I just baked three days ago but you make me feel like firing up the oven again! Argh, my wife and kids are gonna get tired of pizza soon.  :-D

Lessons learned: 

1) I switched over to semolina flour for the opening of the dough.  That worked better and was easy on the marble surface. 

Me too. I happened upon a place in Nagoya(Japan) that sold me a couple of bags Caputo Semola just a month ago, and I love it for my work surface.

3) Trust the oven.  I did not respread coals over the oven floor to reheat it this time.  I just let the oven sit with the flame and coals on the side the whole time.  This seemed to work just fine as I had no uneven cooking issues.  I love my oven.

I too have recently learned this. I've only had my oven since November last year and I was even moving the fire from the left to the right when the floor appeared to be dropping in temperature. Now, instead of that, I fire up the oven about 3 1/2 hours before first bake instead of 2. That seems to be perfect for getting the masonry saturated with heat and the floor stays hot and gets hotter between pies.

4) I was having problems getting the formed pizza on the peel, so I ended up opening the dough, then placing it on the peel, then topping and loading.

Me too. So I put a bit of a wood edge that protrudes about a half-inch out, and a half-inch lower, from under the front of my marble counter top. This serves as a lip for me to rest my metal launching peel on. I place one of my outdoor tables behind me, just so, where the handle of the peel can be supported. Then I have both hands free to drag my topped pizza directly onto it. This saves me from the horror of my pie sticking to my peel from me letting it sit too long...which has happened to me!  :-[