Author Topic: some pizza, bread, and an old Italian man  (Read 1552 times)

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
some pizza, bread, and an old Italian man
« on: April 16, 2013, 06:15:23 PM »
I had a few of my friends in today.  Frank is pictured holding some bread he bought.  Frank is a world reknowned concert viola player and lives around the corner from me.  He is from Italy and grew up near where I did in NJ.  At 89, he is a wonderful inspiration to me.  He, his daughter, and her boyfriend came in.  He is going to apprentice with me so we kicked it off with tossing some pies, balling some dough, and baked a few pies.   It is a win win for me.  I am without any adult help in my bakery/pizzeria so having a passionate person will really help with instructing my students to the art.   Walter

Online jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
Re: some pizza, bread, and an old Italian man
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 06:27:29 PM »
Nice looking loaves, I like the baked dark. Did you do them in the deck oven?
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline Cass

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 06:39:49 PM »
Walter, that is awesome!
If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid.
Epictetus

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 06:48:02 PM »
thanks guys.  Yes they were cooked on the deck with a tray of water in it at 550 degrees.  I use ice water to mix the dough and then ferment it in the fridge for a couple days.  I got the idea from cold fermenting my pizza dough and then found out it is a common practice while browsing a bread book recently :)  I am going to add some sourdough starter to it tomorrow and see how that affects the flavor.  Walter
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 09:10:21 PM by waltertore »

Offline johnson85922

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 09:42:34 PM »
Those bread look awesome.. I would love to see some crumb shots.  :drool:

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 10:20:58 PM »
Could you post the recipe for those delicious looking baguettes?

Thanks!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 06:04:57 AM »
Those bread look awesome.. I would love to see some crumb shots.  :drool:

I work with special education students that have significant cognitive impairments.  My recipes have to be able to take a beating so to speak and still taste good.  This dough is fairly wet to the point that is getting to be a bit difficult to handle but still within my students ability to handle it.  I will post the recipe later.  It is basically ice cold water, yeast, salt, and general mills harvest flour.  I also add a cup or so of my sourdough starter to it for some flavor.  It is then refrigerated for a day-3, allowed to rise at room temp, shaped, put on floured cloth, transfered to boards sprinkled with semolina, and slid on the deck with a tray of water in it for steam.   Walter
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 06:16:43 AM by waltertore »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 06:57:02 AM »
Walter,

As a point of clarification, do you mean Harvest King flour, which is also known as Better for Bread flour at the retail level? I ask since there is also a Harvest flour (sold by ConAgra).

Peter

Offline zaafreak

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 11:25:21 AM »
WOW, those baguettes look great.  I'm looking forward to the recipe.  :drool:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 11:32:10 AM by zaafreak »

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 02:32:05 PM »
Here you go and yes it I use Harvest King (50lb bags) flour.  I am not use to writing out these things so bear with my uneducated book recipe smarts :) 

2 cups sourdough starter
1 cup and more as needed ice cold water- I say 1 cup because I don't measure.  I add until dough is smooth
12 cups flour
4 teaspoons salt(I like mine on the light side)
3-1/2 teaspoons instant yeast

get oven to 550 or as hot as  you can get it and put a water pan in before baking to create some moisture.  Mix all ingredients until the dough sticks to bottom of mixer and is smooth.   put in oiled pan, cover, and refrigerate 24-48 hours.   Remove to room temp and let warm up and rise- about 2-4 hours depending on your room temp.  Handle dough very gently and divide into baguette sizes on heavily floured surface.  I get 8 big ones that fill the depth of my blodgett 1000 ovens so for home use probably 16 pieces would be best.  This dough will be very elastic/sticky and hard to manage.  Handle as little and gently as possible.  I use a wooden plank that is floured and butt it up to the baguettes and gingerly get them on it.  Transfer to floured clothes and let rise 1-2 hours.   Again using the wood plank ( I have used cardboard that is floured as well) and place on semolina dusted peel.  Put in oven direct on stone for 10 minutes or so.   There you go!  Walter
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 02:36:42 PM by waltertore »

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 07:59:59 PM »
Thanks Walter!

I have great respect for:

1. YOUR BREAD!!!!!

2. Your working with cognitively impaired students!!!!

God Bless you! You are an inspiration on both fronts!

John K

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 08:43:48 PM »
thanks John!  I feel lucky to have found such a nice group of people to serve.   Pizza is my main thing.  The bread has always been a side interest.  Here is a  quite tangy sourdough loaf from today.  It is from a starter I have nutured for a long time that I spike with rye flour every few recharges.  Again, 550 on the stones.  We made 30 pizzas/stromboli's today including an after school event.  My one student Paige managed both ovens on her own. We topped them with imported parmigano regiano and fresh basil.   People loved them and that sure makes my students feel good.  I forgot to take a picture because we were hustling to get them done and served.  It was an eat in affair.  Those blodgetts crank out the pies- load 12 up at time! Walter
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 09:06:37 PM by waltertore »

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 11:03:06 PM »
thanks John!  I feel lucky to have found such a nice group of people to serve.   Pizza is my main thing.  The bread has always been a side interest.  Here is a  quite tangy sourdough loaf from today.  It is from a starter I have nutured for a long time that I spike with rye flour every few recharges.  Again, 550 on the stones.  We made 30 pizzas/stromboli's today including an after school event.  My one student Paige managed both ovens on her own. We topped them with imported parmigano regiano and fresh basil.   People loved them and that sure makes my students feel good.  I forgot to take a picture because we were hustling to get them done and served.  It was an eat in affair.  Those blodgetts crank out the pies- load 12 up at time! Walter

Walter,

Like so many others on this site, your "story" intrigues me. Are you able to share any more about what you are doing and the people you are doing it with/for? Surely there is an "interest piece" done in a local/regional publication featuring your pursuits?

Perhaps there is a website for your program? Or a blog?

I'm not trying to be nosy! I just think what you are doing, on a physical AND social level is extraordinary!

If nothing else, please post more pictures and descriptions here. Speaking for all of us you will have many grateful readers!

John K

Online breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 10:37:55 PM »
Beautiful baguette. 2 days fermentation, great dark color, I take one of those!
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 09:40:14 AM »
Walter,

Like so many others on this site, your "story" intrigues me. Are you able to share any more about what you are doing and the people you are doing it with/for? Surely there is an "interest piece" done in a local/regional publication featuring your pursuits?

Perhaps there is a website for your program? Or a blog?

I'm not trying to be nosy! I just think what you are doing, on a physical AND social level is extraordinary!

If nothing else, please post more pictures and descriptions here. Speaking for all of us you will have many grateful readers!

John K

thanks breadstone ovens!

John:  Here is some info on us.  I only post on this forum and was born well before this net thing. I have no interest in blogs/websites and such.  This is an area I am asking someone in the universe to fill.  The older I get the more I accept what comes easy and let go of the stuff that stresses me.  I post all this with hopes that it will radiate through the world and offer an alternative as to  how most schools  teach their developmentally delayed special needs students.  This program, because it is a licensed bakery, not only trains for real life but also is making connections with the business communty for jobs.  We recieve no funding and  have to stay in the black to continue.  So far we are surviving but barely.  Our area is severly depressed and people shop walmart, little cesaers, and such.  Our prices have to be competitive with them on the general public front and with our wholesale customers we compete with prices they pay from places like sysco, lenders bagels, etc.  Everything we do is handmade and with top ingredients.  Our pizzas use grande whole milk and provolone cheese loafs we shred, DOP parmigiano reggiano, DOP romano pectorino, minimum 24 refrigerated dough.  All our other ingredients use top shelf things that no bakeries in our price range use like- fresh eggs, pure vanilla, belgian chocolate, and such.  We are always looking for cash/equipment/ingredients donations as well as any sort of help to help us survive.  They are tax write offs I belive.   Here are some links(pizza focused) and pizzas from yesterday.  Next week we have a full one- 4,000 healthy cookies/1,000 bagels, 200 whole wheat pizza doughs/ for 2 school districts cafeterias, catering deserts for a swearing in of a judge (400 people), strombolis for the ROTC program, cookies for a board meeting, cookies for the prom dance, and probably 50 or more pizzas for walk ins.   All this is done with 8 students and everything is handmade.  Walter

http://ashleykalbertson.com/comm3226/?p=176

http://www.newarkcityschools.org/content_page2.aspx?cid=1032

http://www.newarkcityschools.org/userfiles/1800/Smiling%20with%20hope%20bakery%20menu.pdf

« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 11:05:27 AM by waltertore »

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 01:49:04 AM »
Well, Walter...... All you have to do is give me an address and I will send a donation! Unfortunately I am too far away to expect delivery of any of your delicious-sounding fresh bagels/pizzas/cookies. But that will not deter me from supporting the wondreful work you are doing!

I'd ask you to give me the address via PM (personal messaging) but I hope that if you just let us know an address via a general reply others will step up as well!

God Bless You!

John K

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2013, 12:08:43 PM »
Thanks John!  If anyone wants more information or wishes to donate they can send me a pm.  Thanks!  Walter
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 01:02:07 PM by waltertore »

pizzapan