Author Topic: Dough doesnt stretch..what to do  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
Dough doesnt stretch..what to do
« on: April 17, 2013, 04:54:13 PM »
What is indicated when dough doesnt stretch and when you try to stretch it, it shrinks right back. I made dough for the first time and this is what happened. If i did try to stretch it the dough would tear.

Does this mean i need to increase hydration? I let it cold ferment for about 3 days

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Dough doesnt stretch..what to do
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 05:15:40 PM »
Camaro10 , I am no expert but from my own experience it seems that you have two different scenarios here. If the dough will not stretch but keeps springing back, you need to let the dough relax. Cover with a cloth and try again in 10 or 15 min. It sounds like the gluten was over developed and tight.
On the other hand, if the dough tears when you stretch, mine used to do this all the time, I would think that the gluten has not developed enough, perhaps knead more until there is some "elastic" in the dough.

I am sure this topic will get better answers than mine but thought that I would try.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline johnson85922

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 09:24:39 PM »
How long did you knead the dough (and with what method)?
Yeast %?
Also How long did you take the dough out of the fridge before stretching?

Something Peter said:

"   Different dough formulations can produce different doughs with different behaviors at any given moment. However, I think that it is safe to say that any given point in time, a dough can be underfermented, just right, or overfermented.
     -On one end of the spectrum, a dough that is underfermented can be stiff and difficult to "open" up to form a skin without tears or rips or holes forming in the skin. This dough needs more fermentation time.
     -On the other end of the spectrum, an overfermented dough, if too far gone, can be difficult to open up because there are enzymes in the flour and acids that form during fermentation that act to attack the gluten structure and weaken it. That can make the dough damp or wet and overly extensible (stretchy) and difficult to handle without holes or tears forming in the skin. Unfortunately, when a dough reaches this stage, it is rarely salvageable.
        So, re-balling the dough, or rolling it out with a rolling pin, or adding bench flour to offset the wetness, or saying prayers to make the dough less extensible rarely work. The dough you want is the one that, at the moment you want to use it, is properly fermented. That might be in the middle of a workable range or just short of overfermenting, but it can't go over the cliff. "
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:48:12 PM by johnson85922 »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 09:53:59 PM »
The gluten is over developed from overmixing.  Mix less and do not reball the dough if you were doing that.

Offline jeepnrocks

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 04:56:41 PM »
Sounds as if it was over developed to me also. Trying to stretch to hard when the dough has a lot of spring will usually result in a tear.
Did you try a window pane test at all?