Author Topic: Economic Pizza War with Kenji  (Read 586 times)

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
Economic Pizza War with Kenji
« on: April 17, 2013, 05:03:04 PM »
I didn't see this anywhere else, apologize if it's been posted, but thought people would get a kick out of this little kerfuffle. Matt Yglesias says it's not economical to make pizza at home so why bother. http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2013/04/16/home_cooked_pizza_don_t_try.html . Kenji takes issue and they've had a small twitter incursion over the last few days, but now Kenji is going at it with a full blown post at Seriuos eats. http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/04/the-joy-and-economics-of-cooking-pizza-at-home.html

Personally the economics doesn't play an important part in making pizza at home for me. I just like doing it.

jb

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
Re: Economic Pizza War with Kenji
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 06:25:17 PM »
I'm with you. I haven't read the article yet but I know I can make better pizza at home than most take outs or restaurants, damn the cost!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 06:27:47 PM »
Do Not build or install a wfo.  That is the biggest waste of money ever!

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 07:32:09 PM »

Is there a tongue stuck in your cheek there???? :-D

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 07:33:18 PM »

Personally the economics doesn't play an important part in making pizza at home for me. I just like doing it.

jb
[/quote]

nuff said!
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 07:37:30 PM »
My local grocery store sometimes has top brand mozz 50% off so i can get them for as low as $2.00/lb. classico crushed tomatoes for $1.58/29oz can and dough..well pennys on the dollar. Using either my grill or my oven with a clean cycle mod, how is that not economical? Especially when pizza shops charge almost $20 for two large plain pies? Sounds like that guy is a struggling pizza shop owner trying to blame his failure on the diy home cook.

Offline chaspie

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 10:07:53 PM »
I am not an advanced pizza maker by far, but the pizzas I make at home are much better tasting than any pizza I've ever bought at a restaurant.  And they are cheaper too if I don't count my time.   This is true at least for the types of pizzas I have learned to make at home.  I can't make a Neapolitan yet, but even so, I'm not much impressed with the Neapolitan style pizzas I've had from local restaurants.  Once I have the means, I'm sure I'll beat the local restaurants in that style too.  (To be fair, I've only eaten Neapolitan at two restaurants locally.)

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 10:27:43 PM »

I'll take the other side of that argument. Some of the best money ever spent, IMHO.  ;D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 10:36:50 PM »
What's next? Don't throw that porterhouse on the grill. You can buy a burger cheaper at McDonald's.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

pizzapan