Author Topic: Appetizer for pizza?  (Read 550 times)

Offline Villas

Appetizer for pizza?
« on: April 18, 2013, 08:05:05 AM »
Hi! We have a school project to make dinner at home. Preferably three courses. I have decided that I shall make Pizza Neapolitan with parmacheese, mozzarella, prosciutto, ruccola. Two with white sauce and one with red. My problem is that I need a simple and elegant appetizer. Any suggestions? I have chosen chocolate-mousse as a dessert.

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Appetizer for pizza?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 08:55:23 AM »
How about something like a caprese salad with sliced fresh mozzarella and tomatoes with some fresh basil and EVOO. You could add olives and slices of salami as well.

Another appetizer I like before pizza is fresh vegetables, seasoned with salt, pepper, fresh thyme, balsamic, EVOO, etc., grilled and served cold along with olives, salami and maybe some cheese.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 09:26:35 AM »
Grilled asparagus seved hot or cold is simple and good with cheese or pickles/olives and a meat side.  You can tie the asparagus together in small buntches with some of the asparagus strings.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline derricktung

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 10:37:10 AM »
A simple charcuterie platter with some nice cheeses, meats, and some fruits?  Sliced melons wrapped in prosciutto come to mind...

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 10:53:06 AM »
Grilled asparagus seved hot or cold is simple and good with cheese or pickles/olives and a meat side.  You can tie the asparagus together in small buntches with some of the asparagus strings.

I agree here with the asparagus and with Craig's vegetables. I always have a tray of grilled vegetables served along with the pizza (Neapolitan). You can grill way ahead of time and serve them at room temperature, which is the way it is done it Italy. I have found that appetizers get in the way as people want to try as many pizzas as possible. If they are filled up on apps, they are sometimes disappointed they were too full to try more.

But if i was going to have apps, I would want some fried offerings. Make a bunch of arancini or suppli and you cannot go wrong.

John
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 10:55:00 AM by dellavecchia »